Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default roof questions (flat and pitched)

Hello,

We have a car port on the side of our house. It is a brick wall
several feet away from the house with wooden joists running between
the wall and the house. On top of these is wood, on top of which is
roofing felt. When we moved in recently, the surveyor said the roof
would need attention.

If we were to replace the flat roof with another flat roof, I imagine
the process is to remove the old felt and to examine the wood
underneath. If the wood is rotten, it will need replacing, otherwise
just put new felt down? Is this about right?

What if we wanted to put a pitched roof on? Would it be a matter of
attaching a wooden batten slightly higher up on the house side and run
sloping joists to the other wall?

For a car port, I imagine I could use plastic sheets rather than real
tiles?

What are your suggestions?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nospam" wrote in message
Hello,

We have a car port on the side of our house. It is a brick wall
several feet away from the house with wooden joists running between
the wall and the house. On top of these is wood, on top of which is
roofing felt. When we moved in recently, the surveyor said the roof
would need attention.

If we were to replace the flat roof with another flat roof, I imagine
the process is to remove the old felt and to examine the wood
underneath. If the wood is rotten, it will need replacing, otherwise
just put new felt down? Is this about right?

Yes

What if we wanted to put a pitched roof on? Would it be a matter of
attaching a wooden batten slightly higher up on the house side and run
sloping joists to the other wall?

Any roof slope below 10 degs is classed as a flat roof, if you use any type
of corrugated sheeting you may get capillary attraction below 10 degs.
I don't know about flat twin polycarbonate sheets. You will have to fill in
the gable ends of the slope and maybe a support beam across the middle
depending on the length of the sheet.

For a car port, I imagine I could use plastic sheets rather than real
tiles?

What are your suggestions?

Thanks.

Walking on a pitched roof Steve Home Repair 25 March 29th 07 05:18 PM
Flat roof replaced with pitched [email protected] Home Repair 5 January 11th 07 04:39 AM
Pitched roof Bolted UK diy 3 April 1st 05 12:05 AM
"Can" Vents Acceptable on Low-Pitched Roof? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 March 28th 05 01:16 PM
Pitched roof angle Peter Crosland UK diy 14 September 12th 03 09:34 PM