Jeff

Default Painting a bathroom

Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm at the painting & tiling stage of redecorating the bathroom. I've
put two coats of undercoat on the newly plastered walls and three on the
ceiling as advised by the plasterer, so now for a bit of colour. But, my
local paint supplier has refused to sell me bathroom specific paint on the
grounds its a con, so far his advice (and price) has been spot on, but I
just want to check what sort of paint is suitable (all the areas prone to
splashing will be tiled).

Cheers,

Jeff

David W.E. Roberts

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm at the painting & tiling stage of redecorating the bathroom.

I've
put two coats of undercoat on the newly plastered walls and three on the
ceiling as advised by the plasterer, so now for a bit of colour. But, my
local paint supplier has refused to sell me bathroom specific paint on the
grounds its a con, so far his advice (and price) has been spot on, but I
just want to check what sort of paint is suitable (all the areas prone to
splashing will be tiled).

Did he say why it was a con?
We used some Homebase stuff which is certainly different from your average
emulsion - plastic in it and it seems to form a water resistant finish.
Only problem I can see is that it sticks together too well and you can peel
it off in strips if you are making minor changes.

HTH
Dave R

John Andrews

I was thinking it might be a con too. Normal emulsion is
cheaper and easier to apply.

The special bathroom stuff might have better wearing
qualities in a splashy environment I suppose.
I ask myself whether I've ever had a problem with
the lifetime of bathroom paint ... no.
David Hearn

"John Andrews" wrote in message
om...
I was thinking it might be a con too. Normal emulsion is
cheaper and easier to apply.

The special bathroom stuff might have better wearing
qualities in a splashy environment I suppose.
I ask myself whether I've ever had a problem with
the lifetime of bathroom paint ... no.

I doubt its a con - bathroom/kitchen paints do appear to be more
plastic-coated when dried. I've rubbed a painted wall with a damp cloth
before to try and clean something off and found the cloth go the colour of
the paint slightly. Done this with a room painted with bathroom paint and
nothing came off - almost like its waterproof.

However - I suspect that most paints will be okay - as long as they don't
get wet for long periods - the question is possibly how wet/humid the room
gets. If you often get condensation on the walls, and it doesn't dry out
quickly, then there may be a problem.

Aiden

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:21:40 +0100, "David Hearn"
wrote:
snip

I doubt its a con - bathroom/kitchen paints do appear to be more
plastic-coated when dried. I've rubbed a painted wall with a damp cloth
before to try and clean something off and found the cloth go the colour of
the paint slightly. Done this with a room painted with bathroom paint and
nothing came off - almost like its waterproof.

Agreed - not Bathroom but our experience has been with Kitchen where
we used to get severe mould in areas where there was condensation and
little ventilation - corners near the floor on outside walls. Special
kitchen paint (Wickes) has eliminated the problem completely - but it
is tricky to put on - seem to remember if you over-roll it, it can
lift off again - so we used two or three thin coats.

Asher Hoskins

David Hearn wrote:
I doubt its a con - bathroom/kitchen paints do appear to be more
plastic-coated when dried. I've rubbed a painted wall with a damp cloth
before to try and clean something off and found the cloth go the colour of
the paint slightly. Done this with a room painted with bathroom paint and
nothing came off - almost like its waterproof.

As far as I can tell after using both, Dulux smooth exterior masonry
paint and Dulux bathroom/kitchen paint seem to be remarkably similar.
They both set to a smooth "plasticcy" finish that resists water and
mould but the bathroom paint is (IIRC) about twice the price.

Asher.

--
asher http://domestic1.sjc.ox.ac.uk/~ahoskins/
asher AT crumbly DOT