Andy Dingley

Default Electric fence power indicator? Neon?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:56:02 +0100, Chris Wilson
wrote:

You can buy some sort of neon indicators from the electric
fence makers, but they are about 20 quid each...

Neon and a capacitor (maybe 0.22uF) in parallel, fed from a bridge
rectifier. Cost a quid or so.

--
Smert' spamionam
Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote:

Neon and a capacitor (maybe 0.22uF) in parallel, fed from a bridge
rectifier. Cost a quid or so.

Why the capacitor? If the fence is pulsed, as all of ours are
(at ~ 1 Hz) then just a neon with a ~1M resistor works great.

--
Grunff

Grunff

Chris Wilson wrote:

Neon as in a mains tester screwdriver neon?

A mains tester screwdriver contains a neon bulb and a series
resistor. The neon bulb is just a small glass envelope with low
pressure neon and two electrodes

Are neons different voltages?

Not as such - you need to limit the current through them with a
resistor, the value of which will depend on your voltage.

If the signal lamp was fairly bright could see
it from the house, which would be good.

Depends what your HT circuit's like, but I suspect if you were
drawing that much power from it there wouldn't be much left to
mainain a good fence voltage.

--
Grunff

Grunff

fred wrote:

10mA sounds like an awful lot for the neon (if the 10kV is right), you'll have
nothing left to zap the birds ;-). I was going to suggest 1mA from 4x2M2
high voltage resistors in series with a standard mains neon.

I don't reckon ours put out any more than 2-3kV once hooked up
to a few hundred metres of fence tape - much less in the wet.

--
Grunff

fred

In article , Grunff
writes
fred wrote:

10mA sounds like an awful lot for the neon (if the 10kV is right), you'll have
nothing left to zap the birds ;-). I was going to suggest 1mA from 4x2M2
high voltage resistors in series with a standard mains neon.

I don't reckon ours put out any more than 2-3kV once hooked up
to a few hundred metres of fence tape - much less in the wet.

Ahhhhhhhh, theory and practice diverge again :-). Still, the HV resistors
are prob still a good idea, standard are prob only 500V . . . . Maplin codes
are 'V' +value , values 1M, 2M2, 4M7, 10M and are 3.5kV working, subject
to power rating.
--
fred
Grunff

Andy Dingley wrote:

Depends on the earth, and the type of fence driver. If you have a low
earth impedance, and can get a decent voltage on the neon, then your
design will work. If the earth is lousy, then the rectifier-capacitor
design can charge up successive pulses until there's enough to flash
the neon.

True, very true.

There's a guy near my parents (West Lancs) who (like everyone around
there) has lots of glasshouses. In the Xmas runup, and to provide a
burglar alarm for the glasshouses, he keeps geese outside around them.
His fence has fluorescent tubes hung off it, which manage to flash
quite impressively. I've no idea what he drives the fence with, but
I'm not touching it....

Must be an interesting sight. A farmer not so far from here
drives his fences with old neon sign trannies. *OUCH*

--
Grunff

Andy Dingley

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:51:28 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

Why not do it at the low voltage side? Of course, this won't check that
the unit is actually working, but only switched on.

The usual need for a fence detector is to check that the wire hasn't
been broken.
--
Smert' spamionam
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Chris Wilson writes:
Would like some DIY means of having a visual light indicator that power
is on to an electric fence (well, fenceS actually), one around a chicken
run, using poultry netting, and the other wires around a 3/4 acre bird
enclosure. You can buy some sort of neon indicators from the electric
fence makers, but they are about 20 quid each... I was thinking something
about 2 quid each G. The potential on the wires is between 9 and 10 KV,
to a decent earth. Thanks.

Try a wire-ended neon, one end connected to fence and other end
just pointing away from the fence wire into the air. If it's too
dim, extend the wire pointing into the air. This is how some of
the much larger aircraft warning lamps strung along HV transmission
lines work -- the floating wire leaks enough current by corona
discharge and capacitively to light the lamps.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy Dingley wrote:
Why not do it at the low voltage side? Of course, this won't check that
the unit is actually working, but only switched on.

The usual need for a fence detector is to check that the wire hasn't
been broken.

Ah. The OP simply asked for an indication that it was 'on'. And for
several fences.

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

wrote:

Why not do it at the low voltage side? Of course, this won't check that
the unit is actually working, but only switched on.

The usual need for a fence detector is to check that the wire hasn't
been broken.

.... and/or that it hasn't been shorted out by falling debris, weeds,
etc.

--
Chris Green )
David Hearn

wrote:

Why not do it at the low voltage side? Of course, this won't check that
the unit is actually working, but only switched on.

The usual need for a fence detector is to check that the wire hasn't
been broken.

I take it that licking it (like we used to do with 9v batteries to check
them!) isn't a suitable option...

What sort of kick do these fences give? I've never had the misfortune to
experience one.

Jeremy Collins

Andy Dingley wrote:

There's a guy near my parents (West Lancs) who (like everyone around
there) has lots of glasshouses. In the Xmas runup, and to provide a
burglar alarm for the glasshouses, he keeps geese outside around them.
His fence has fluorescent tubes hung off it, which manage to flash
quite impressively. I've no idea what he drives the fence with, but

He could attach a flashing neon to each goose, and hold a
Christmas rave...

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Simon Avery

"David Hearn" wrote:

Hello David

DH| I take it that licking it (like we used to do with 9v
DH| batteries to check them!) isn't a suitable option...

The usual method on a farm of dealing with "know it all" types is to
simply not tell them about the electric fencing. Can give substantial
amusement. My dog ****ed on some once, he'd never go into that field
again.

DH| What sort of kick do these fences give? I've never had the
DH| misfortune to experience one.

Battery and Mains. The smaller 6v hobby jobs give enough to be felt.
12v car/leisure batteries kick out about 4-12kv (yep, kilo volts) at
absurdly low ampage. The mains one actually kick out *less* voltage,
but higher ampage and hurt considerably more and can energise miles of
wire.

The "hurt" is a typical electric shock. If you touch with your hand,
it hurts there and you get a deep pain followed by ache and tingling
at your wrist and ankle. Normally gone within a few minutes.
Apparently can be fatal to those with pacemakers by disrupting their
signal.

Kids don't seem to get hurt as bad, but older people do. I'm guessing,
but I figure this is down to resistance of the human body increasing
with age?

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Grunff

Steve Firth wrote:

SF| 12V car batteries do not "kick out 4-12kV" they supply
SF| approximately 12V (usually about 12.3-12.8V). An electric
SF| fence run from a 12V battery will supply several kV from the
SF| coil.

Which is what I said.

Well, no it isn't, your comment is reproduced above if you're unsure of
that.

Hate to butt in on this little tet-a-tet, but while Simon did
write "12v car/leisure batteries kick out about 4-12kv (yep,
kilo volts) at absurdly low ampage", I (and undoubtedly many
others) understood that he meant the fence units powered by 12v
batteries.

As for use of the word ampage - while it's more correct to say
current, saying ampage or amperage is pretty commonplace, and
understood by most.

So it was all a simple misunderstanding. Group hug?

--
Grunff

Replacing electric shower - advice? Marshal Anderson UK diy 2 September 15th 03 03:18 PM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 10th 03 12:59 AM
Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter? Serial Bodger UK diy 12 August 17th 03 03:36 PM
o t ish changing gas and electric Jackie UK diy 4 August 10th 03 07:53 PM
Power sockets in brick shed Andy Jeffries UK diy 9 July 31st 03 10:53 AM