Electric fence power indicator? Neon?

Old September 23rd 03, 11:17 AM
[email protected]

Default Electric fence power indicator? Neon?

Andy Dingley wrote:
On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:51:28 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

Why not do it at the low voltage side? Of course, this won't check that
the unit is actually working, but only switched on.

The usual need for a fence detector is to check that the wire hasn't
been broken.

.... and/or that it hasn't been shorted out by falling debris, weeds,
etc.

--
Chris Green )
Old September 23rd 03, 11:42 AM
David Hearn

wrote:

Why not do it at the low voltage side? Of course, this won't check that
the unit is actually working, but only switched on.

The usual need for a fence detector is to check that the wire hasn't
been broken.

I take it that licking it (like we used to do with 9v batteries to check
them!) isn't a suitable option...

What sort of kick do these fences give? I've never had the misfortune to
experience one.

Old September 23rd 03, 04:18 PM
Jeremy Collins

Andy Dingley wrote:

There's a guy near my parents (West Lancs) who (like everyone around
there) has lots of glasshouses. In the Xmas runup, and to provide a
burglar alarm for the glasshouses, he keeps geese outside around them.
His fence has fluorescent tubes hung off it, which manage to flash
quite impressively. I've no idea what he drives the fence with, but

He could attach a flashing neon to each goose, and hold a
Christmas rave...

--
jc

Remove the -not from email

Old September 28th 03, 11:09 AM
Simon Avery

"David Hearn" wrote:

Hello David

DH| I take it that licking it (like we used to do with 9v
DH| batteries to check them!) isn't a suitable option...

The usual method on a farm of dealing with "know it all" types is to
simply not tell them about the electric fencing. Can give substantial
amusement. My dog ****ed on some once, he'd never go into that field
again.

DH| What sort of kick do these fences give? I've never had the
DH| misfortune to experience one.

Battery and Mains. The smaller 6v hobby jobs give enough to be felt.
12v car/leisure batteries kick out about 4-12kv (yep, kilo volts) at
absurdly low ampage. The mains one actually kick out *less* voltage,
but higher ampage and hurt considerably more and can energise miles of
wire.

The "hurt" is a typical electric shock. If you touch with your hand,
it hurts there and you get a deep pain followed by ache and tingling
at your wrist and ankle. Normally gone within a few minutes.
Apparently can be fatal to those with pacemakers by disrupting their
signal.

Kids don't seem to get hurt as bad, but older people do. I'm guessing,
but I figure this is down to resistance of the human body increasing
with age?

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/

Old September 28th 03, 09:53 PM
Grunff

Steve Firth wrote:

SF| 12V car batteries do not "kick out 4-12kV" they supply
SF| approximately 12V (usually about 12.3-12.8V). An electric
SF| fence run from a 12V battery will supply several kV from the
SF| coil.

Which is what I said.

Well, no it isn't, your comment is reproduced above if you're unsure of
that.

Hate to butt in on this little tet-a-tet, but while Simon did
write "12v car/leisure batteries kick out about 4-12kv (yep,
kilo volts) at absurdly low ampage", I (and undoubtedly many
others) understood that he meant the fence units powered by 12v
batteries.

As for use of the word ampage - while it's more correct to say
current, saying ampage or amperage is pretty commonplace, and
understood by most.

So it was all a simple misunderstanding. Group hug?

--
Grunff

Replacing electric shower - advice? Marshal Anderson UK diy 2 September 15th 03 02:18 PM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 9th 03 11:59 PM
Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter? Serial Bodger UK diy 12 August 17th 03 02:36 PM
o t ish changing gas and electric Jackie UK diy 4 August 10th 03 06:53 PM
Power sockets in brick shed Andy Jeffries UK diy 9 July 31st 03 09:53 AM