DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Frustrating toilet flush pipe leak - any tips and tricks? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/213505-frustrating-toilet-flush-pipe-leak-any-tips-tricks.html)

John E September 6th 07 05:12 PM

Frustrating toilet flush pipe leak - any tips and tricks?

Warning: amateur plumber at work...

I installed a bathroom suite five years ago, and until a month ago it worked
perfectly. Then I got a leak from the toilet soil pipe outlet. It turned out
to be a split connector, which I have replaced.

Unfortunately, having now taken the toilet bowl out a couple of times to fix
the original problem, I now have a leak from the connector to the bottom of
the cistern - where the flush pipe exits.

I have tried packing with petroleum jelly; I have tried winding PTFE tape
around the outside of the thread; I have replaced the O ring. I still have a
miniscule leak - about 3-4 drops in an hour after flushing. I fear that the
thread on the outlet might be crossed as a result of overtightening.

I seem to have a few options - please could you comment on these?

1. ignore the leak - it is only a few drips per flush. It probably doesn't
matter. (I'm not too happy with this one myself)

2. pack around the *outside* of the connector with plumber's mait. (Might
work, doesn't seem too sensible)

3. put silicone gel into the connector, and hope that it seals off the leak.
(Might be a problem to remove later)

4. replace the flushing mechanism in the cistern, and install a new
connector to replace the possibly crossed thread. (relatively expensive, but
might have to be done finally to correct the problem).

I should mention that I am likely to be selling the house in a year or so
(market permitting), so I could live with a minor bodge - if it works!

Thanks for any suggestions,

John.

John September 6th 07 05:22 PM

"John E" wrote in message
[...]

Could it be a leak between the siphon and the threaded extension. I think
there are rubber washers each side. The one inside is the most important.

John E September 6th 07 05:35 PM

"John" wrote in message

"John E" wrote in message
[...]

It could be - it is hard to tell for sure (the cistern is enclosed in a box
assembly, which is a pain to get into, without removing the whole toilet
bowl etc).

John

TheScullster September 6th 07 05:55 PM

Frustrating toilet flush pipe leak - any tips and tricks?

"John E" wrote

Warning: amateur plumber at work...

I now have a leak from the connector to the bottom of the cistern - where
the flush pipe exits.

If your cistern is the "traditional" type, then the leak is most likely to
be from one of two places:
1. The syphon or flush unit is not sealing against the base of the cistern
(internally). This is quite likely from the raving around it has
experienced, but would be constant rather than appearing only at flush time.
The water leaks down the syphon threads below the cistern and appears on the
connecting nut for the flush pipe.
2. The tapered rubber washer is not sealing between the syphon discharge and
the flush pipe.

Recommend you get a new flush-pipe-to-syphon sealing rubber and some
plumber's mait.
Remove the syphon which will allow replacement of the rubber seal to the
bottom flush pipe.
Re-fit syphon with ring of plumber's mait around under the base to seal,
introducing new flush pipe sealing rubber as you do.

Phil

The Medway Handyman September 6th 07 08:49 PM

John E wrote:
[...]

LSX around the washer inside & the nut outside.

4. replace the flushing mechanism in the cistern, and install a new
connector to replace the possibly crossed thread. (relatively
expensive, but might have to be done finally to correct the problem).

Not really expensive - about £8 in Wickes for a siphon.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

John E September 7th 07 11:29 AM

Frustrating toilet flush pipe leak - any tips and tricks?

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
John E wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who replied.