Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Correct sand cement ratio for roofing

I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the correct sand
cement ratio should be for setting hip capping tiles. If you want to
know the background to this see the 'roofing nightmare' thread.

I have a photograph of two sacks of similar size, one almost empty
containing sand and another almost full containing cement left by the
roofers who recently did some work on my property. These sacks suggest
that the roofers used a mixture of *at least* ten parts sand to one
part cement.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the implications of this might be?
How good could this information be in negotiating a discount from the
quote?

Thanks,

1

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ups.com...
I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the correct sand
cement ratio should be for setting hip capping tiles. If you want to
know the background to this see the 'roofing nightmare' thread.

I have a photograph of two sacks of similar size, one almost empty
containing sand and another almost full containing cement left by the
roofers who recently did some work on my property. These sacks suggest
that the roofers used a mixture of *at least* ten parts sand to one
part cement.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the implications of this might be?
How good could this information be in negotiating a discount from the
quote?

Well dangerous ground since IMNAExpert but years ago when on a carpentry
course at the Brick Development Association in Edgeware and next door were
the brickies, they were using 9 to 1 because their walls could be easily
knocked down and rebuilt whereas 3 to 1 was what you used if you wanted them
to stay up.

Take it from there.

Paul

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"PaulB" writes:
Well dangerous ground since IMNAExpert but years ago when on a carpentry
course at the Brick Development Association in Edgeware and next door were
the brickies, they were using 9 to 1 because their walls could be easily
knocked down and rebuilt whereas 3 to 1 was what you used if you wanted them
to stay up.

They would have been using Training Mix, which is lime instead
of cement. After setting (which is mostly just drying), it is
ground up and rehydrated for reuse. Occasionally a little extra
lime is added to compensate for the lime actually setting into
chalk, but it can be reused very many times over again before
being discarded (where it still has many uses, such as mixed
in with new compost to make nice soil).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On or about 2007-09-04,
illuminated us with:
I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the correct sand
cement ratio should be for setting hip capping tiles. If you want to
know the background to this see the 'roofing nightmare' thread.

I have a photograph of two sacks of similar size, one almost empty
containing sand and another almost full containing cement left by the
roofers who recently did some work on my property. These sacks suggest
that the roofers used a mixture of *at least* ten parts sand to one
part cement.

I've very rarely mixed my own plain mortar but as a sanity check: I've
always mixed concrete at around 4:2:1 Gravel:sand:cement by volume, so
I'd guess that you need something "richer" than 6:1. Richer because
for an equal volume of sand and gravel there will be a lot more
surface area to the sand. Also because you'd want such mortar to set
stronger than concrete.

And
http://www.archifacts.co.uk/html/mor...ication_T1.htm seems
to agree. At a guess for that job you'd bee looking for 1:3 or 1:4.
Could be complicated by using lime of course.

--
Mark
Real email address | Now, doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in his sleep,

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 20:52, wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the correct sand
cement ratio should be for setting hip capping tiles. If you want to
know the background to this see the 'roofing nightmare' thread.

I have a photograph of two sacks of similar size, one almost empty
containing sand and another almost full containing cement left by the
roofers who recently did some work on my property. These sacks suggest
that the roofers used a mixture of *at least* ten parts sand to one
part cement.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the implications of this might be?
How good could this information be in negotiating a discount from the
quote?

Thanks,

1

3:1 sharp sand to cement. Don't use soft sand as the yellow colour (a)
looks awful and (b) is mainly iron compounds and leeches out with
rain, staining things in its path.

Phil.

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Gabriel
wrote:
They would have been using Training Mix, which is lime instead
of cement. After setting (which is mostly just drying), it is
ground up and rehydrated for reuse.

DE-hydrated, surely?
In which case it could be done with plaster to necessary
strength but have low-T recyclability.

--
Aidan
Aberdeen, Scotland

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 4 Sep, 20:52, wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the correct sand
cement ratio should be for setting hip capping tiles. If you want to
know the background to this see the 'roofing nightmare' thread.

I have a photograph of two sacks of similar size, one almost empty
containing sand and another almost full containing cement left by the
roofers who recently did some work on my property. These sacks suggest
that the roofers used a mixture of *at least* ten parts sand to one
part cement.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the implications of this might be?
How good could this information be in negotiating a discount from the
quote?

Thanks,

1

Thanks for the replies, folks.

But does anyone have any suggestions about why our roofer used a
cement mix of no stronger than one part cement to six (or quite
possibly even nine) parts sand (I will have a more accurate estimate
when I go out and weigh the remnants in the sacks in a minute) for
setting the capping tiles on the hips after replacing our soffits and
barge boards?

Is there a plausible explanation for why they used such a weak
mixture? From his advertising he states that he gets work from a very
important local institution. One assumes he would be keen to keep his
reputation...

Thanks

Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

On 8 Sep, 20:45, August West wrote:
writes:

Is there a plausible explanation for why they used such a weak
mixture?

The bags weren't full to begin with?

--
If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry

I was there when the bags were delivered. It was a twenty five kilo
bag of 'Mastercrete Original Cement' and a bag simply labelled
'Building Sand' of a similar size. There are 22 Kilos left in the bag
of cement and 3 kilos left in the bag of sand.