Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Purlins and gallow brackets

I need to provide some additional support to the purlins holding up
our 1900 terraced roof. The purlin is clearly bowing in the middle as
it only has 2 diagonal supports onto a wall plate, from what we can
see nothing has been removed and has been supporting it for the past
100 years.

My carpenter father in law will help us out with provide some
additional support in the centre to stop the bow getting any worse.

The purlins are not notched into the wall, so I'd like to provide some
support/fix on the ends. Do gallow brackets exists for purlins?. Or
could I use gallow brackets and a timber shoe to overcome the timber
being at an angle due to the pitch of the roof?

thanks for any thoughts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like your house once had a slate roof, and now has much heavier
concrete tiles.

I'd think about bolting a 2nd purlin in next to the existing one,
sounds like a big job to me.

Rick

On 3 Sep, 13:43, wrote:
I need to provide some additional support to the purlins holding up
our 1900 terraced roof. The purlin is clearly bowing in the middle as
it only has 2 diagonal supports onto a wall plate, from what we can
see nothing has been removed and has been supporting it for the past
100 years.

My carpenter father in law will help us out with provide some
additional support in the centre to stop the bow getting any worse.

The purlins are not notched into the wall, so I'd like to provide some
support/fix on the ends. Do gallow brackets exists for purlins?. Or
could I use gallow brackets and a timber shoe to overcome the timber
being at an angle due to the pitch of the roof?

thanks for any thoughts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice.

The house now has asbestos slates, wouldn't have thought they weigh
more than slate.

It won't be a quick job getting some big timbers through a hole in the
roof, resting them on the wall plates and internal walls then bolting
together. Then adding the much needed support for the centre of the
purlin. Lucky the father in law does this for a living ;-)

I need to provide some end support for purlins, I'll take some pics
and share.

On 3 Sep, 13:43, wrote:

I need to provide some additional support to the purlins holding up
our 1900 terraced roof. The purlin is clearly bowing in the middle as
it only has 2 diagonal supports onto a wall plate, from what we can
see nothing has been removed and has been supporting it for the past
100 years.

My carpenter father in law will help us out with provide some
additional support in the centre to stop the bow getting any worse.

The purlins are not notched into the wall, so I'd like to provide some
support/fix on the ends. Do gallow brackets exists for purlins?. Or
could I use gallow brackets and a timber shoe to overcome the timber
being at an angle due to the pitch of the roof?

thanks for any thoughts- Hide quoted text -

purlins in aircrete sm_jamieson UK diy 2 July 3rd 07 10:59 PM
composite/metal purlins instead of timber ? [email protected] UK diy 6 November 8th 05 01:24 PM
are purlins shared by semis? Zipadee Doodar UK diy 28 February 10th 05 03:04 PM
Removing ceiling ties and purlins r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 5 November 6th 04 08:51 AM