DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   TomTom ONE tamper proof screws (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/213034-tomtom-one-tamper-proof-screws.html)

Graham. September 2nd 07 07:28 PM

TomTom ONE tamper proof screws

I need to get inside my TomTom ONE (original version).
Can some one tell me what size hex pin-head security screws it uses,
and where the best place to buy a tool?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Chris Hodges September 2nd 07 08:27 PM

Graham. wrote:
I need to get inside my TomTom ONE (original version).
Can some one tell me what size hex pin-head security screws it uses,
and where the best place to buy a tool?

screwfix do a cheap set of many anti tamper bits (also available from
RS, cpc etc.) If it's hex with a pin that should do it.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com

tim..... September 2nd 07 09:46 PM

"Graham." wrote in message
I need to get inside my TomTom ONE (original version).

I'm intrigued, why?

Can some one tell me what size hex pin-head security screws it uses,
and where the best place to buy a tool?

Are you sure that it's not a star?

tim

Graham. September 2nd 07 10:54 PM

"tim....." wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message
I need to get inside my TomTom ONE (original version).

I'm intrigued, why?

To repair it. It charges intermittently. Giving it a thump restores
charging,
the green LED on the top remains lit regardless so its definitely internal.
A dry-joint, or lose earthling screw maybe, I am sure I will find it when I
get inside the case.

Can some one tell me what size hex pin-head security screws it uses,
and where the best place to buy a tool?

Are you sure that it's not a star?

No, its like an alan key type head with a central spigot. Not a Torx etc.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Andrew Gabriel September 2nd 07 11:06 PM

TomTom ONE tamper proof screws

In article ,
"Graham." writes:

"tim....." wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message
I need to get inside my TomTom ONE (original version).

I'm intrigued, why?

To repair it. It charges intermittently. Giving it a thump restores
charging,
the green LED on the top remains lit regardless so its definitely internal.
A dry-joint, or lose earthling screw maybe, I am sure I will find it when I
get inside the case.

Can some one tell me what size hex pin-head security screws it uses,
and where the best place to buy a tool?

Are you sure that it's not a star?

No, its like an alan key type head with a central spigot. Not a Torx etc.

With the torx ones, inserting an appropriate sized small screwdriver
and giving it a quarter turn pings off the pin, and allows a standard
torx tool to be used. Might work with alan key heads too. Close your
eyes as you twist the screwdriver so the pin doesn't fly into your eye.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Graham. September 2nd 07 11:33 PM

TomTom ONE tamper proof screws

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Graham." writes:

"tim....." wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Andrew, the real thing is here http://tinyurl.com/29n6lh perhaps
I can find one or two other items I could use to justify the postage.
Any one know where I could get something over the counter?

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Frank Erskine September 2nd 07 11:41 PM

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 22:33:14 +0100, "Graham." wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
"Graham." writes:

"tim....." wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message
[...]

Ages ago I got a very similar set from Machine Mart. I'm pretty
certain they still sell them.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Adrian C September 2nd 07 11:47 PM

Graham. wrote:

Thanks Andrew, the real thing is here http://tinyurl.com/29n6lh perhaps
I can find one or two other items I could use to justify the postage.
Any one know where I could get something over the counter?

Got a Screwfix counter nearby?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18983&ts=69503

--
Adrian C

Graham. September 3rd 07 01:15 AM

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Graham. wrote:

Thanks Andrew, the real thing is here http://tinyurl.com/29n6lh perhaps
I can find one or two other items I could use to justify the postage.
Any one know where I could get something over the counter?

Got a Screwfix counter nearby?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18983&ts=69503

Thanks Adrian, Ill try to pop into Trafford Park tomorrow.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

John Rumm September 3rd 07 05:55 AM

Graham. wrote:
"Adrian C" wrote in message
Graham. wrote:

Thanks Andrew, the real thing is here http://tinyurl.com/29n6lh perhaps
I can find one or two other items I could use to justify the postage.
Any one know where I could get something over the counter?

Got a Screwfix counter nearby?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18983&ts=69503

Thanks Adrian, Ill try to pop into Trafford Park tomorrow.

Only thing to check is they have one small enough in the set (not so
much of a problem with hex, but certainly can be with torx).

--
Cheers,

John.

Adrian C September 3rd 07 11:04 AM

John Rumm wrote:

Only thing to check is they have one small enough in the set (not so
much of a problem with hex, but certainly can be with torx).

I've got a similar set to the Screwfix one. In mine, Smallest Torx is
T-8H, Smallest Hex is 5/64". A brief look at other suppliers (CPC,
Maplin, eBay, Amazon) show the same lower limit for their similar
"33-Bit security" product.

--
Adrian C

John Rumm September 3rd 07 02:37 PM

Adrian C wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Only thing to check is they have one small enough in the set (not so
much of a problem with hex, but certainly can be with torx).

I've got a similar set to the Screwfix one. In mine, Smallest Torx is
T-8H, Smallest Hex is 5/64". A brief look at other suppliers (CPC,
Maplin, eBay, Amazon) show the same lower limit for their similar
"33-Bit security" product.

Yup, I needed a small torx driver a while back, and eventually found a
set of very small ones at CPC - the whole set carried on down from what
is the smallest in most sets.

--
Cheers,

John.

DJC September 3rd 07 08:34 PM

Graham. wrote:
Thanks Andrew, the real thing is here http://tinyurl.com/29n6lh perhaps
I can find one or two other items I could use to justify the postage.
Any one know where I could get something over the counter?

Maplin. In little green jelly like case with about a dozen assorted bits .

--
djc

Chris Hodges September 3rd 07 09:36 PM

Graham. wrote:
"tim....." wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message

I need to get inside my TomTom ONE (original version).

I'm intrigued, why?

To repair it. It charges intermittently. Giving it a thump restores
charging,
the green LED on the top remains lit regardless so its definitely internal.
A dry-joint, or lose earthling screw maybe, I am sure I will find it when I
get inside the case.

Can some one tell me what size hex pin-head security screws it uses,
and where the best place to buy a tool?

Are you sure that it's not a star?

No, its like an alan key type head with a central spigot. Not a Torx etc.

"Tamper proof hex" are normally imperial sizes and a quite common. Bits
are easily available in a kit, but on the larger sizes you can often
remove the pip with a dremel. That sort of thing aren't too bad, what
_really_ evil is counterbored 1-way clutch screws (managed to get one
out of a canon charger recently though).

Adam Aglionby September 3rd 07 09:53 PM

On Sep 3, 8:36 pm, Chris Hodges wrote:
Graham. wrote:
"tim....." wrote in message

"Graham." wrote in message

[...]

Got to ask how?

Thanks
Adam

Clint Sharp September 3rd 07 10:47 PM

TomTom ONE tamper proof screws

In message , Graham.
writes

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Graham. wrote:

Thanks Andrew, the real thing is here http://tinyurl.com/29n6lh perhaps
I can find one or two other items I could use to justify the postage.
Any one know where I could get something over the counter?

Got a Screwfix counter nearby?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=18983&ts=69503

Thanks Adrian, Ill try to pop into Trafford Park tomorrow.

Was going to ask if you wanted to borrow some (Altrincham) but if
they're only 2.99 for a set......
--
Clint Sharp

Graham. September 3rd 07 11:02 PM

TomTom ONE tamper proof screws

Thanks to all who responded.
I got the little kit from Screwfix, the 5/64in one fitted well enough,
but it was lose enough for me to suspect it should have been
the metric size bigger.
Anyway it's fixed now, a dry-joint on the power connecter
caused by vibration because of the way it's mounted in the
car.
When I get time I'll put some pictures and notes on the web, I
could find nothing myself.

The thought of my sat-nav letting me down was very scary,
I haven't looked at a paper map for almost two years.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Graham. September 3rd 07 11:09 PM

TomTom ONE tamper proof screws

Thanks Adrian, Ill try to pop into Trafford Park tomorrow.

Was going to ask if you wanted to borrow some (Altrincham) but if they're
only 2.99 for a set......

Nice of you to offer, but jobs-a -good'n (see my last post)
I'm going to see if one of the other bits will open my
faulty Tesco Value toster...

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Frank Erskine September 3rd 07 11:26 PM

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 22:09:46 +0100, "Graham." wrote:

Nice of you to offer, but jobs-a -good'n (see my last post)
I'm going to see if one of the other bits will open my
faulty Tesco Value toster...

Generally it's not worth the bother of trying to repair throw-away
type toasters - you can't get spare parts for them...
A bit like jug kettles!

--
Frank Erskine

Chris Hodges September 4th 07 06:07 PM

Adam Aglionby wrote:
"Tamper proof hex" are normally imperial sizes and a quite common. Bits
are easily available in a kit, but on the larger sizes you can often
remove the pip with a dremel. That sort of thing aren't too bad, what
_really_ evil is counterbored 1-way clutch screws (managed to get one
out of a canon charger recently though).

Got to ask how?

This time plan A worked - lean very hard, turn very gently and the
screwdriver bites on the steepest part of the ramp (use a slightly
smaller driver than is proper for the head and it digs in a bit).

Plan B was a small drill into the thickest parts of the head and a
"snake eyes" bit.

Chris Hodges September 4th 07 06:09 PM

Graham. wrote:
Thanks to all who responded.
I got the little kit from Screwfix, the 5/64in one fitted well enough,
but it was lose enough for me to suspect it should have been
the metric size bigger.

Possibly, but they're not necessarily very well made - look at the hole
centration.

Anyway it's fixed now, a dry-joint on the power connecter
caused by vibration because of the way it's mounted in the
car.

Glad to hear it - it's amazing how much kit is written off due to dry
joins and cracked tracks.