Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Faux Stone Lintel

We live in a 1920's semi with painted stone lintels. A 1960's extension was
built with window openings constructed using catnic lintels and stretcher
bond brickwork above. 3 courses of brickwork have been painted above the
windows, prior to our occupation of the property, in an attempt to simulate
the aforementioned stone lintels of the original building..We would like to
improve the appearance of the windows in the extension, as it looks so
obviously a bodge with brick coursing very evident under the paint. Posting
here for ideas of possible materials/ techniques.
Considered so far.....
Don't want to remove bricks and replace with stone. 5 windows and a door to
do
Render over the bricks ? What kind of mix might bond well when applied as a
very thin layer? Anything work in the same way as floor levelling compound?
Fibre-glass mat & car body filler? Would standard resins bond to brickwork ?
Metal mesh secured to brickwork and rendered over ? Possibly the increased
thickness would look out of place?

Suggestions invited
Thanks
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:19:34 GMT, "Ian G"
wrote:

[...]

Maybe try Artex type textured coating. Experiment on somewhere not
visable to see whether you can get the stone texture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian G wrote:

Don't want to remove bricks and replace with stone. 5 windows and a door to
do

You can get smooth stone tiles designed for cladding stuff and making it
look like real stone. If used carefully it can be hard to tell the
difference between them and real stone blocks.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:19:34 +0000, Ian G wrote:

[...]

==================================
You might consider using lead (or possibly zinc / zintec) almost like a
false flashing. It would be thin enough to be invisible when painted.

Cic.

--
Using Ubuntu Linux

Matching faux stone outside house Alex Home Repair 4 April 17th 07 02:20 AM
Matching faux stone outside house Alex Home Ownership 4 April 17th 07 02:20 AM
faux painting: striping Cory Home Repair 1 February 11th 07 07:12 AM
FAUX FINISH TOY CHEST J T Woodworking 0 December 28th 05 11:58 PM
Stone/Synthetic stone kitchen counter tops Mr. Bill Home Repair 6 October 15th 04 09:01 PM