Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bloo Loo

Did a job this afternoon, lady said her toilet 'wasn't working'. Apparently
it overflowed and wouldn't flush. She had only been in the house 2 months.

Took the lid off the cistern, the metal arm of the ball valve had snapped
and the operating rod for siphon was also snapped. Never seen that before.
The metal arm had been 'repaired' with duck tape.

Also really dark blue water. Siphoned out the water & found a good inch of
blue 'jelly' on the bottom of the cistern.

Seems like (at least) one of those toilet fresheners that people are
obsessed with had burst. Right mess to clear out.

The two screws holding the cistern to the toilet were so badly corroded I
had to cut one of them out.

Makers date on the plastic cistern was 1998, so not that old.

I've changed siphons & ball valves in cisterns twice that age & never come
across so many faults in one place before.

Could this damage & corrosion be due to the bloo goo? What the hell is in
those things? Everything seemed to have been affected - plastic, metal,
rubber seals.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

Seems like (at least) one of those toilet fresheners that people are
obsessed with had burst. Right mess to clear out.

I have two experiences with these things.

Having used the toilet and caught the seat when I "stood up", I discovered
on walking downstairs that one of those "hooked over the toilet rim" type
fresheners had detached itself from the bog and attached itself to my back
pocket .

Having deliberated for ages over a toilet flush blockage, I eventually
removed said toilet to find one of those "hooked over the toilet rim" type
fresheners lodged in the neck of the drain immediately after the pan outlet.

I have also suffered from the sludge build up you mention with the
"in-cistern" type fresheners.

I find the solution is to make a lid that is non-removable without tools and
to ban the use of "hooked over the toilet rim" type fresheners.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
[...]

I thought everyone knew not to use Bloo Loos...
There was an article on one of the TV shows many years ago about such items
and they advised people not to use them because of the corrosion and sludge
effects.
--
the_constructor

Don't tip it, recycle it. Join your local group.

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:

Having deliberated for ages over a toilet flush blockage, I eventually
removed said toilet to find one of those "hooked over the toilet rim" type
fresheners lodged in the neck of the drain immediately after the pan outlet.

I gather this is a common cause of blockage.

NT