Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Green copper pipe rot.

Hi,

I have ripped out my kitchen and the copper pipes in places have a green
powdery covering which I assume is some sort of oxidisation.

Should I clean this off and if so what with?

Many thanks,
Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
Hi,

I have ripped out my kitchen and the copper pipes in places have a green
powdery covering which I assume is some sort of oxidisation.

Should I clean this off and if so what with?

Its due to lazy plumbers not cleaning the flux off when doing the initial
installation. If you really want to you can clean it off with wire wool or
similar and give it a wipe with a dab of vaseline or similar.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:

Hi,

I have ripped out my kitchen and the copper pipes in places have a green
powdery covering which I assume is some sort of oxidisation.

Should I clean this off and if so what with?

Many thanks,
Rick

external corrosion doesnt matter if its mild.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
Hi,

I have ripped out my kitchen and the copper pipes in places have a green
powdery covering which I assume is some sort of oxidisation.

Should I clean this off and if so what with?

Its due to lazy plumbers not cleaning the flux off when doing the initial
installation. If you really want to you can clean it off with wire wool
or similar and give it a wipe with a dab of vaseline or similar.

HTH

John

Well given the amount of time I guess it has been there I shan't worry.

....Cue new kitchen shortly knee deep in water...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

R D S wrote:
Hi,

I have ripped out my kitchen and the copper pipes in places have a green
powdery covering which I assume is some sort of oxidisation.

Should I clean this off and if so what with?

Standard punishment at school was to scrub the copper pipes along the
tops of the urinals, and elsewhere in the changing rooms. We used
standard powder scourer (Vim or Ajax type - but actually no-name
janitorial stuff) and an ordinary bristle scrubbing brush, or even a
nail brush. The pipes used to look pretty good - for a while.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rod
writes
R D S wrote:
Hi,
I have ripped out my kitchen and the copper pipes in places have a
green powdery covering which I assume is some sort of oxidisation.
Should I clean this off and if so what with?

Standard punishment at school was to scrub the copper pipes along the
tops of the urinals,

And you tell the kids today ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:37:26 +0100, Rod
wrote:

Standard punishment at school was to scrub the copper pipes along the
tops of the urinals, and elsewhere in the changing rooms. We used
standard powder scourer (Vim or Ajax type - but actually no-name
janitorial stuff) and an ordinary bristle scrubbing brush, or even a
nail brush.

Sheesh - what did you do to deserve that?

Apart from regular canings, our worst punishment was 'detention' by
Doc "Felix" Watson (English language and RI), who invited you to his
detention if it was convenient (i.e. you had no after-school clubs or
suchlike that afternoon), when he allowed you to do whatever homework
you had, dished out sweets (fruit gums) and milk, and let you go home
virtually when you wanted.

And that was in the early 1960s.

He was a total nutter.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Standard punishment at school was to scrub the copper pipes along the
tops of the urinals, and elsewhere in the changing rooms. We used
standard powder scourer (Vim or Ajax type - but actually no-name
janitorial stuff) and an ordinary bristle scrubbing brush, or even a
nail brush.

Sheesh - what did you do to deserve that?

Apart from regular canings, our worst punishment was 'detention' by
Doc "Felix" Watson (English language and RI), who invited you to his
detention if it was convenient (i.e. you had no after-school clubs or
suchlike that afternoon), when he allowed you to do whatever homework
you had, dished out sweets (fruit gums) and milk, and let you go home
virtually when you wanted.

And that was in the early 1960s.

He was a total nutter.

Hmm! Is that when the trouble started with kids today?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Standard punishment at school was to scrub the copper pipes along the
tops of the urinals, and elsewhere in the changing rooms. We used
standard powder scourer (Vim or Ajax type - but actually no-name
janitorial stuff) and an ordinary bristle scrubbing brush, or even a
nail brush.

Sheesh - what did you do to deserve that?

Apart from regular canings, our worst punishment was 'detention' by
Doc "Felix" Watson (English language and RI), who invited you to his
detention if it was convenient (i.e. you had no after-school clubs or
suchlike that afternoon), when he allowed you to do whatever homework
you had, dished out sweets (fruit gums) and milk, and let you go home
virtually when you wanted.

And that was in the early 1960s.

He was a total nutter.

Hmm! Is that when the trouble started with kids today?

He was useless at caning - I don't know if it was intentional, but
he'd hold your wrist out and miss with the cane numerous times (his
gown flowing all over the place), then when he was exhausted he'd just
tap your fingers with the stick...

He also ran an antique shop in his spare time, which just about says
it all.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Hmm again! That could be about the time (and reason) the rot set in!

Green Copper Mike Dobony Home Repair 24 December 19th 06 12:39 AM
Green deposit on copper pipe at fittings marbles UK diy 6 July 2nd 06 02:02 AM
More Qs on copper pipe in concrete Grumps UK diy 11 February 28th 06 02:46 PM
green stuff coming out of copper piping connectors? [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 15th 05 09:45 PM
gas hob to copper pipe R P McMurphey UK diy 17 February 8th 04 04:30 PM