Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fuse blowing next to central heating clock

Hi,
I'm a bit of a novice so please bear with me.

The fuse in the fusebox next to my central heating controller keeps
blowing. I replaced it twice yesterday with a 3A fuse and again this
morning with a 5A fuse and within half an hour of the heating coming
on and the radiators just starting to get warm it blows.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the most common causes could be.

For info, it's a conventional boiler (not combi). It's a fairly old
Glo Worm system and it's a normal (not digital) mechanical clock that
it operates from.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,
I'm a bit of a novice so please bear with me.

The fuse in the fusebox next to my central heating controller keeps
blowing. I replaced it twice yesterday with a 3A fuse and again this
morning with a 5A fuse and within half an hour of the heating coming
on and the radiators just starting to get warm it blows.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the most common causes could be.

For info, it's a conventional boiler (not combi). It's a fairly old
Glo Worm system and it's a normal (not digital) mechanical clock that
it operates from.

You have an electrical fault which is causing current to flow from live to
earth. It's probably variable and intermittent in nature, but when the
leakage current exceeds the fuse rating, the fuse blows.

The fault could be at any of a number of locations in your system, but I
would start by having a critical look at the pump - that is the most likely
culprit in my experience, because that's where water and electricity come
closest together. If you feel competent, you can test it by disconnecting
its existing wiring and wiring it to a 13A plug with a 3A fuse in it. You
can run the pump without the heating being on, as long as there's water
going through it. If that fuse blows, it will confirm my suspicion - and you
will need to replace the pump.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Hansen
writes
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 03:07:36 -0700 someone who may be
wrote this:-

The fuse in the fusebox next to my central heating controller keeps
blowing. I replaced it twice yesterday with a 3A fuse and again this
morning with a 5A fuse and within half an hour of the heating coming
on and the radiators just starting to get warm it blows.

The fuse blowing is trying to tell you something. Find out what it
is, rather then hoping for the best.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what the most common causes could be.

In addition to the water suggestions, perhaps a cable or bit of
equipment is damaged.

Someone with more experience could measure and work out where the
fault is likely to be.

There's no way that most people would ever find this fault unless they
have been listening to my words of wisdom over the years grasshopper

It's a fairly subtle fault - the boiler switches on, the fan motor
starts up, the windings overheat and go short circuit, fuse pops,
windings cool down by the time you get round to measuring them and
revert to closer to a normal resistance

so, unless you are particularly on the ball, you won't find it

The opposite can also happen, some of them have resettable thermal fuses
which means that the fan cuts out and by the time you get around to
measuring the winding resistance, its back to normal

a devious cove is the fuelsaver fan

--
geoff