Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendation for Extractor Fans (ie reliability and noise?)

Hi

I have the need for 2 x Extractor fans.

Bathroom

12ft x 6ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator via light switch and stay
on timer 20mins after etc

Kitchen (fairly big)

15ft x 12ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator from light switch (as
above) - but to also be able to be manually overidden via pullcord etc
(as we often leave the kitchen light on for security so dont want the
fan on all the time when we are not in!)

Ive looked at various websites and I think I need a 4inch or maybe
6inch for the bathroom and at least a 9 inch for the Kitchen....

Both will be directly vented through the wall to outside.

Im ask the 'sparkies' when they come to quote, but I wouldnt mind
knowing a bit about the tried/tested brands in case I end up with a
unknown brand from the back of the van!

Has anyone advice/experience with the branded versions, are any better
than others??

Any other advice of purchasing (inc cheap places in the UK/online!) -
much appreciated

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:32:19 -0700, "
wrote:

Bathroom

12ft x 6ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator via light switch and stay
on timer 20mins after etc

I've found a better approach for bathrooms is to have a low power
(and hence very quiet) fan running for several hours a day. Assuming
you have done your back pressure calculations correctly (don't ask an
electrician - most wouldn't know where to start) and the fan will
cope a 15W fan running for about 4-8 hours a day will create a much
dryer atmosphere than a 100-200 W running for 2 hours.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

vent-axia are very good build quality but the aint cheap, you can get
them from Screwfix. I wouldnt put the kitchen fan on the light circuit
as when you want the fan on is seldom the same time you want the
lights on. Bear in mind when you are pumping air out of the house,
fresh air has to come in somewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-22 21:32:19 +0100, " said:

Hi

I have the need for 2 x Extractor fans.

Bathroom

12ft x 6ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator via light switch and stay
on timer 20mins after etc

Kitchen (fairly big)

15ft x 12ft (10ft ceiling) - Need to operator from light switch (as
above) - but to also be able to be manually overidden via pullcord etc
(as we often leave the kitchen light on for security so dont want the
fan on all the time when we are not in!)

Ive looked at various websites and I think I need a 4inch or maybe
6inch for the bathroom and at least a 9 inch for the Kitchen....

You need to look at manufacturers' specs on the throughput of their
products. There are also indications of the max room size of a given
type for which a given product is suitable.

Both will be directly vented through the wall to outside.

Im ask the 'sparkies' when they come to quote, but I wouldnt mind
knowing a bit about the tried/tested brands in case I end up with a
unknown brand from the back of the van!

Has anyone advice/experience with the branded versions, are any better
than others??

Yes. Vent Axia products are by far and away the best on the market,
even in comparison with other reasonable brands such as Xpelair and
certainly far better than the generic products from the merchants.

I wouldn't waste time with other products or allow them to be fitted.

You will find a wide variety of fans in their range, going from various
100mm toilet/bathroom fans on up to much larger ones.

For the kitchen, considering the size, I would give serious
consideration to one of their small commercial T-series units in the
300mm size as opposed to the 230mm size. The reason is that the
whole range can be run using a speed controller. On the larger fan,
there is twice the throughput and the noise level is lower as a result
of being able to run the fan at a much lower speed.

Any other advice of purchasing (inc cheap places in the UK/online!) -
much appreciated

You can certainly find reasonable pricing on Vent Axia if you look and
ask, but don't expect it to be at the same level as the generic
products.

On the other hand, you will replace the generic product at least four
times during the equivalent period of time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
" writes:

Has anyone advice/experience with the branded versions, are any better
than others??

I've had two Manrose ones burn out.
I've had a Deta cease, but it has a resettable cutout, so
after cleaning and reoiling the bearing, it's OK again.
However, I don't think Deta exist anymore (CPC used to stock them).
Two Vent-Axia's are doing fine, but one is still quite new.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 9:32 pm, "
wrote:
[...]

I got a Vent axia 'Centrif 250' 100mm fan for my kitchen in my
previous house.
Noisy, but powerful. I was selling the place, otherwise I'd have been
really disappointed in the level of noise from the thing.
http://www.vent-axia.com/products/do...ntrif-info.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 11:23:01 +0100, Mr Uncalled-For
said:

I got a Vent axia 'Centrif 250' 100mm fan for my kitchen in my
previous house.
Noisy, but powerful. I was selling the place, otherwise I'd have been
really disappointed in the level of noise from the thing.
http://www.vent-axia.com/products/do...ntrif-info.pdf

Centrifugal fans are always noisy. You are trading performance for noise.

Generally, a 100mm fan is too small for a kitchen anyway - far better
to use a larger axial model and a 100mm axial model for a bathroom.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 11:23:01 +0100, Mr Uncalled-For
said:

I got a Vent axia 'Centrif 250' 100mm fan for my kitchen in my
previous house.
Noisy, but powerful. I was selling the place, otherwise I'd have been
really disappointed in the level of noise from the thing.
http://www.vent-axia.com/products/do...ntrif-info.pdf

Centrifugal fans are always noisy. You are trading performance for noise.

Generally, a 100mm fan is too small for a kitchen anyway - far better
to use a larger axial model and a 100mm axial model for a bathroom.

I was aiming for an extraction rate to meet building regulations. IIRC
the fan was referred to as quiet in the ad.
It replaced a smaller fan that was less powerful, which connected into
a fairly small hole to a long duct.
I never had the smaller fan connected in my ten years in the place, as
even that was too noisy.
This was a kitchen/living room, with the kitchen at the opposite end
of the room from the window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 12:32:42 +0100, Mr Uncalled-For

On 2007-08-23 11:23:01 +0100, Mr Uncalled-For
said:

I got a Vent axia 'Centrif 250' 100mm fan for my kitchen in my
previous house.
Noisy, but powerful. I was selling the place, otherwise I'd have been
really disappointed in the level of noise from the thing.
http://www.vent-axia.com/products/do...ntrif-info.pdf

Centrifugal fans are always noisy. You are trading performance for noise.

Generally, a 100mm fan is too small for a kitchen anyway - far better
to use a larger axial model and a 100mm axial model for a bathroom.

I was aiming for an extraction rate to meet building regulations. IIRC
the fan was referred to as quiet in the ad.

You do have to look at the sound ratings in dB. Vent Axia's fans
are quieter than most, even the centrifugal ones because the mechanics
are properly designed and finished and decent bearings are used, but
centrifugal fans are by definition noisier than axial ones.

It replaced a smaller fan that was less powerful, which connected into
a fairly small hole to a long duct.

Unfortunately if you have a long duct, an axial fan may not work well
anyway and it's in those cases where centrifugal fans are used. A
better solution would be to use 150mm duct rather than 100mm for most
of the run, and then an axial fan, but 150mm is not as easy to obtain
and more expensive.

I never had the smaller fan connected in my ten years in the place, as
even that was too noisy.
This was a kitchen/living room, with the kitchen at the opposite end
of the room from the window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-23 12:32:42 +0100, Mr Uncalled-For

On 2007-08-23 11:23:01 +0100, Mr Uncalled-For
said:

[...]

Yeah I forget the research I did, but I believe the oomph of a
centrifugal was needed.
In the end the surveyor didn't even check the fan, so I could have
just left it as was!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OK, thanks for all that...

But...woah!!! - "back pressure calculations" - OK, can anyone help me
by explaining this? (sorry for being ignorant)

Also, "Bear in mind when you are pumping air out of the house, fresh
air has to come in somewhere. "

If the fan is running (eg 20 mins after leave room) and all windows
and doors shut..can this damage the fan - ie does it have to work
harder??

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:12:58 -0700, "
mused:

OK, thanks for all that...

But...woah!!! - "back pressure calculations" - OK, can anyone help me
by explaining this? (sorry for being ignorant)

You know, pressure, at the back.

Also, "Bear in mind when you are pumping air out of the house, fresh
air has to come in somewhere. "

If the fan is running (eg 20 mins after leave room) and all windows
and doors shut..can this damage the fan - ie does it have to work
harder??

Technically yes, but the main thing if the doors and windows are all
closed is that it isn't actrually drawing any clean air in so you may
as well just turn it off as it's just spinning and not achieveing
much.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-24 18:12:58 +0100, " said:

OK, thanks for all that...

But...woah!!! - "back pressure calculations" - OK, can anyone help me
by explaining this? (sorry for being ignorant)

In effect this is what is presented when a fan is connected to a duct -
a resistance to flow.

A centrifugal fan will do a better job than an axial one with this
environment but is noisier. If there is direct outside access an
axial one is a better choice for this reason.

Also, "Bear in mind when you are pumping air out of the house, fresh
air has to come in somewhere. "

If the fan is running (eg 20 mins after leave room) and all windows
and doors shut..can this damage the fan - ie does it have to work
harder??

Kind of the same thing. You won't burn it out but it won't have been
able to move as much air. You can hear a fan getting slightly noisier
whne closing a well sealed door. THe point is not to try to
hermetically seal the house. You can go for heat eschange type systems
where the heat from outgoing air os partly transferred to incoming at a
heat exchanger but these are quite expensive and challenging to install
neatly after the house is built

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:01:13 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

On 2007-08-24 18:12:58 +0100, " said:

OK, thanks for all that...

[...]

The ones I fit, and I haven;t fitted one for a while but I assume they
are still the same, just sit in a 6" hole in the wall in exactly the
same way a standard 6" fan would.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-08-24 20:26:35 +0100, Lurch said:

The ones I fit, and I haven;t fitted one for a while but I assume they
are still the same, just sit in a 6" hole in the wall in exactly the
same way a standard 6" fan would.

I was thinking more about the system ones....

extractor fans David Hansen UK diy 1 January 28th 07 10:30 AM
extractor fans [email protected] UK diy 0 January 27th 07 02:02 PM
Xpelair Extractor Fans Yaz UK diy 2 October 25th 06 10:34 PM
Tektronix 2445 Reliability and Noise On Channel 2 Michael J. Linden, N9BDF Electronics Repair 3 February 18th 05 03:12 AM
Extractor fans Trevor Smith UK diy 11 May 21st 04 10:04 PM