Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

Default Sellotape adhesive on stainless steel

Out stainless steel gas hob has been waiting to be installed for the
last 12 months. It's day has come!

However, the kind man in the shop fixed the burner supports on with
Sellotape so they didn't move in transit (it was ex-display so no box).
Unfortunately we didn't remove the Sellotape until today and it's left
dried patches of adhesive on the stainless steel. I've got most of it
off with white spirit but there are still some marks.

Can anyone recommend something to finish the job? Or do I leave it to
soak in white spirit for a few hours?

TIA

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:08:08 +0100, F wrote:

Out stainless steel gas hob has been waiting to be installed for the
last 12 months. It's day has come!

However, the kind man in the shop fixed the burner supports on with
Sellotape so they didn't move in transit (it was ex-display so no box).
Unfortunately we didn't remove the Sellotape until today and it's left
dried patches of adhesive on the stainless steel. I've got most of it
off with white spirit but there are still some marks.

Can anyone recommend something to finish the job? Or do I leave it to
soak in white spirit for a few hours?

Make a wad out of kitchen roll or a paper hanky, soak it in label
remover, tape it down over the residue and leave for an hour or so.

Meths also works on dry residue, but if there is any of the original
adhesive there still sticky it turns it into a sort of goo which just
gets spread out by rubbing eventually turning black by picking up
dirt.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
Out stainless steel gas hob has been waiting to be installed for the last
12 months. It's day has come!

However, the kind man in the shop fixed the burner supports on with
Sellotape so they didn't move in transit (it was ex-display so no box).
Unfortunately we didn't remove the Sellotape until today and it's left
dried patches of adhesive on the stainless steel. I've got most of it off
with white spirit but there are still some marks.

Can anyone recommend something to finish the job? Or do I leave it to soak
in white spirit for a few hours?

TIA

--
Frank

Vaseline will work so, surprisingly, will talcum powder. You have to
sprinkle the powder and rub it with a finger, the adhesive will pill and
roll off.

I did it only today with a telephone with which my late mother had secured
the volume control - and I've done it on other materials in the past.

It also works with silicone sealant!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Out stainless steel gas hob has been waiting to be installed for the
last 12 months. It's day has come!

However, the kind man in the shop fixed the burner supports on with
Sellotape so they didn't move in transit (it was ex-display so no box).
Unfortunately we didn't remove the Sellotape until today and it's left
dried patches of adhesive on the stainless steel. I've got most of it
off with white spirit but there are still some marks.

Can anyone recommend something to finish the job? Or do I leave it to
soak in white spirit for a few hours?

TIA

Lighter fuel, WD 40 and baby oil should work on the marks.

HTH

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
Out stainless steel gas hob has been waiting to be installed for the last
12 months. It's day has come!

However, the kind man in the shop fixed the burner supports on with
Sellotape so they didn't move in transit (it was ex-display so no box).
Unfortunately we didn't remove the Sellotape until today and it's left
dried patches of adhesive on the stainless steel. I've got most of it off
with white spirit but there are still some marks.

Can anyone recommend something to finish the job? Or do I leave it to soak
in white spirit for a few hours?

Just don't do what I did a few months back when I was staying at a friend's
house while he was away. I found a couple of cheapo air fresheners lurking
under the sink and stuck one on the front of the brushed stainless steel
cooker hood with the self adhesive patch it came with. What an effing
nightmare that turned into. It smelled so horrible I decided to take it off
again but the bloody thing wouldn't budge. I was pulling so hard I feared
that either the hood was going to come off the wall or I was going to buckle
the metal and leave a convex dent in it. Anyway finally it tore free leaving
most of the adhesive and foam backing still glued firmly to the metal. I
scraped away at that for ages with my fingernails getting nowhere fast but
every now and then a tiny piece would 'pill' up and come free.

When I'd run out of both fingernails and patience I had a go with a nylon
dish scourer and some washing up liquid and eventually had the last of the
goo removed. It wasn't until I stood back that I saw to my horror that under
the glare of the kitchen lights the patch I'd been rubbing at was now a
totally different shade to the rest of the cooker hood. Most of it was the
original dullish matt brushed finish with this bright new silver shiny patch
beaming out from the middle of it like a mirror. Much effing and blinding
and pondering the situation later I decided the only option short of buying
him a new one was to try and get the whole thing looking the same so I spent
half the night stood on a chair with assorted bits of wire wool and scouring
pads going over 6 square feet of cooker hood until I'd roughened the new
patch back up a bit and polished all of the rest to match. Finally as dawn
broke I'd got it to the stage where unless you already knew what had
happened and exactly where to look it all had near as dammit the same
appearance and reflectivity.

Not a mistake I'm ever going to make again and I advise anyone who comes
across something with one of those self adhesive patches on it to bin the
bloody thing before they're tempted to use it.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" wrote in message
Out stainless steel gas hob has been waiting to be installed for the last
12 months. It's day has come!

However, the kind man in the shop fixed the burner supports on with
Sellotape so they didn't move in transit (it was ex-display so no box).
Unfortunately we didn't remove the Sellotape until today and it's left
dried patches of adhesive on the stainless steel. I've got most of it off
with white spirit but there are still some marks.

Can anyone recommend something to finish the job? Or do I leave it to soak
in white spirit for a few hours?

I bought this stuff "Tim Clean"
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...productId=9954
to remove thermal pads however I have been using it for loads of things
around the house. So far it has tackled all jobs like removing grease,
sellotape residue etc. Absolutely brilliant stuff. It is citrus based.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:22:24 +0100, Dave
wrote:

F wrote:

Out stainless steel gas hob has been waiting to be installed for the
last 12 months. It's day has come!

However, the kind man in the shop fixed the burner supports on with
Sellotape so they didn't move in transit (it was ex-display so no box).
Unfortunately we didn't remove the Sellotape until today and it's left
dried patches of adhesive on the stainless steel. I've got most of it
off with white spirit but there are still some marks.

Can anyone recommend something to finish the job? Or do I leave it to
soak in white spirit for a few hours?

TIA

Lighter fuel, WD 40 and baby oil should work on the marks.

I use lighter fuel, works a treat.

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:40:44 +0100, Derek Geldard wrote:

[...]

For sticky goo of any kind, dabbing with sticky tape usually works - sticky sticks to other sticky
stuff better than whatever it's stuck to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message

snip long, sad story

Not a mistake I'm ever going to make again and I advise anyone who comes
across something with one of those self adhesive patches on it to bin the
bloody thing before they're tempted to use it.

They are dreadful.

I once helped an artist friend to hang an exhibition of some of his
pictures. For some we used these damned patches and when we took down the
pictures plaster came off the walls with them.

The exhibition hall people, I imagine, weren't best pleased. We did a
runner!

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 21/08/2007 09:44 Mike Harrison wrote:

For sticky goo of any kind, dabbing with sticky tape usually works - sticky sticks to other sticky
stuff better than whatever it's stuck to.

The adhesive in question has turned into a non-sticky solid.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

wrote:

Lighter fuel, WD 40 and baby oil should work on the marks.

I use lighter fuel, works a treat.

Looks like I'll be starting with lighter fluid then, though baby oil
sounds more fun...

--
Frank
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Lighter fuel, WD 40 and baby oil should work on the marks.

I use lighter fuel, works a treat.

Looks like I'll be starting with lighter fluid then, though baby oil
sounds more fun...

Where ARE you going to anoint the oil?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

F wrote:

Out stainless steel gas hob has been waiting to be installed for the
last 12 months. It's day has come!

However, the kind man in the shop fixed the burner supports on with
Sellotape so they didn't move in transit (it was ex-display so no box).
Unfortunately we didn't remove the Sellotape until today and it's left
dried patches of adhesive on the stainless steel. I've got most of it
off with white spirit but there are still some marks.

Can anyone recommend something to finish the job? Or do I leave it to
soak in white spirit for a few hours?

TIA

Lighter fuel, WD 40 and baby oil should work on the marks.

I use lighter fuel, works a treat.

Lighter fuel or nail polish remover would be my first choices. Lighter fuel
works well with sticky labels on shiney cardboard where the removal of the
sticker may remove the shine.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
F F is offline

On 21/08/2007 12:01 F wrote:

Looks like I'll be starting with lighter fluid then, though baby oil
sounds more fun...

In the absence of supplies of lighter fuel I used WD40. Left it to soak
for a while and a little vigorous rubbing with a cloth in the same
direction as the 'pattern' in the stainless steel removed the adhesive.

--
Frank

Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts spaco Metalworking 15 April 12th 06 07:02 PM
stainless steel kklein Metalworking 7 September 5th 04 05:54 AM
Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel DIY Novice UK diy 7 August 24th 04 07:44 PM
MIG and 304 stainless steel Carl Ijames Metalworking 1 October 2nd 03 05:26 AM
Stainless Steel Ricardo Metalworking 4 August 9th 03 04:07 AM