Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lead flashing

Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 660338 20070820 115545 "Mark" wrote:
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Can't you strip some Chinese toys?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church roof's;..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.
300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.
Ouch!

How much on a roll ? - I fear my bay window (already done in lead)
will need replacing soon...

If you get a decent amount on a roll, I might even consider it for the
ground floor extension :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church
roof's;..

Around here its industrial units as well. January this year I replaced the
lead flashing above the porches of 6 industrial units raided by Mr Pikey.
Replaced it with Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing Strip which has no commercial
value. Good little earner that - and no, it wasn't me who put Mr Pikey up
to it :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 20, 9:04 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church
roof's;..

Around here its industrial units as well. January this year I replaced the
lead flashing above the porches of 6 industrial units raided by Mr Pikey.
Replaced it with Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing Strip which has no commercial
value. Good little earner that - and no, it wasn't me who put Mr Pikey up
to it :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

One would think, in this day and age that something made of plastic
and fiberglass would do just as well?
Is that what the Wickes stuff, referred to above, is?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

terry wrote:
On Aug 20, 9:04 pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
[...]

More or less yes, I think its bitumen based. Won't last as long as lead,
but less likely to be nicked.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church
roof's;..

Around here its industrial units as well. January this year I replaced the
lead flashing above the porches of 6 industrial units raided by Mr Pikey.
Replaced it with Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing Strip which has no commercial
value. Good little earner that - and no, it wasn't me who put Mr Pikey up
to it :-)

BTW, I told someone who was looking for a CH fitter to give you a ring
today

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Colin
Wilson o.uk writes
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.
300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.
Ouch!

How much on a roll ? - I fear my bay window (already done in lead)
will need replacing soon...

Err ...

what's the address ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 01:04, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church
roof's;..

Around here its industrial units as well. January this year I replaced the
lead flashing above the porches of 6 industrial units raided by Mr Pikey.
Replaced it with Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing Strip which has no commercial
value. Good little earner that - and no, it wasn't me who put Mr Pikey up
to it :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Around here it's brass plates from the cemetery and manhole covers
from the streets.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Colin Wilson
o.uk writes
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.
300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.
Ouch!

How much on a roll ? - I fear my bay window (already done in lead)
will need replacing soon...

6m so that doesn't go very far. About 6m I'd say.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Around here it's brass plates from the cemetery and manhole covers
from the streets.

Chris

.....all fuelled by the press with sensational stories that give the
impression (through quoting the replacement cost including labour) that such
metal is as valuable as gold.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:14:42 -0700, terry wrote:

One would think, in this day and age that something made of plastic
and fiberglass would do just as well?

Plastics, in the broad sense, don't like the UV in sunlight and degrade at
various rates, normally becoming brittle and then not able to cope with
the thermal cycling. A decent bit of lead flashing will last the best part
of 100 years or longer, that is a tough challenge to match.

Is that what the Wickes stuff, referred to above, is?

I've used some "flash band" in the past thin bit of metal (0.5 to 1mm
thick, a quick google indicates the metal to be aluminium) coated with a
couple of mm of black bitumen like sticky stuff one one side. Works well
enough. I guess the thickness of the goop allows enough movement for
thermal expansion. Aluminium is pretty stable, through I'm not sure how it
would do near the coast with salt in the air, particulary if in contact
with any iron from nails/screws etc.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church
roof's;..

Around here its industrial units as well. January this year I
replaced the lead flashing above the porches of 6 industrial units
raided by Mr Pikey. Replaced it with Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing Strip
which has no commercial value. Good little earner that - and no, it
wasn't me who put Mr Pikey up to it :-)

BTW, I told someone who was looking for a CH fitter to give you a ring
today

Thank you. Was it about a circuit board on a boiler?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message et, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:14:42 -0700, terry wrote:

One would think, in this day and age that something made of plastic
and fiberglass would do just as well?

Plastics, in the broad sense, don't like the UV in sunlight and degrade at
various rates, normally becoming brittle and then not able to cope with
the thermal cycling. A decent bit of lead flashing will last the best part
of 100 years or longer

.... Unless it's nicked

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Colin Wilson
o.uk writes
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.
300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.
Ouch!

How much on a roll ? - I fear my bay window (already done in lead)
will need replacing soon...

6m so that doesn't go very far. About 6m I'd say.

Someone's got the attributions mixed up there

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:00:20 GMT, raden wrote:

A decent bit of lead flashing will last the best part of 100 years or
longer

.... Unless it's nicked

True enough. B-(

Not so far from here the pikeys nick the signaling cables from along side
the railways for the copper.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

6m so that doesn't go very far. About 6m I'd say.

That'd probably do me - it's only a small bay :-}
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How much on a roll ? - I fear my bay window (already done in lead)
will need replacing soon...

Err ...
what's the address ?

Buckingham Palace
London
SW1A 1AA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes
raden wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church
roof's;..

Around here its industrial units as well. January this year I
replaced the lead flashing above the porches of 6 industrial units
raided by Mr Pikey. Replaced it with Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing Strip
which has no commercial value. Good little earner that - and no, it
wasn't me who put Mr Pikey up to it :-)

BTW, I told someone who was looking for a CH fitter to give you a ring
today

Thank you. Was it about a circuit board on a boiler?

Potterton Lynx, yes

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:00:20 GMT, raden wrote:

A decent bit of lead flashing will last the best part of 100 years or
longer

.... Unless it's nicked

True enough. B-(

Not so far from here the pikeys nick the signaling cables from along side
the railways for the copper.

And they have the fibre optic cables to and never learn that they don't
contain copper!..

Should cut their bloody hands off .. good old values;!..
--
Tony Sayer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
scribeth thus

Around here it's brass plates from the cemetery and manhole covers
from the streets.

Chris

....all fuelled by the press with sensational stories that give the
impression (through quoting the replacement cost including labour) that such
metal is as valuable as gold.

Well I took some old odds and ends to the scrap dealers the other week
educating the nippers about recycling.

Thought they were going to get a Fiver as pocket money..

Nearer £25 quid was what it raised. The price of scrap copper is silly
money!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

....all fuelled by the press with sensational stories that give the
impression (through quoting the replacement cost including labour) that such
metal is as valuable as gold.

Just by chance, I was at the scrap dealers last week, and asked about
the price of scrap cast iron and steel.
£80/tonne was what they were paying then - which makes it worthwhile
keeping a pile of odds and ends in the back garden until there is a van
full of it.
I took down some cast iron guttering today, so I'll be weighing in the
lot in a few weeks.
To the OP, apparently, lead has gone up in price 4 fold in the last
year, shotgun cartridges are being increased in price by around 15% this
month, the 2nd rise in a year.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 20, 11:55 am, "Mark" wrote:
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

I pay arround 2.50 per KG.
Code-4 is 4 pounds per square foot.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
raden wrote:
In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mark
rce9.co.uk scribeth thus
Just had a quote for lead flashing. I need two rolls of it.

300mm Code 4, £102 + VAT.

Ouch!

mark

Now you can understand why Mr Pikey is so interested in church
roof's;..

Around here its industrial units as well. January this year I
replaced the lead flashing above the porches of 6 industrial units
raided by Mr Pikey. Replaced it with Wickes Hi-Tack Flashing Strip
which has no commercial value. Good little earner that - and no,
it wasn't me who put Mr Pikey up to it :-)

BTW, I told someone who was looking for a CH fitter to give you a
ring today

Thank you. Was it about a circuit board on a boiler?

Potterton Lynx, yes

Thanks. I did get the call but I couldn't help - not that clever! I passed
him on to a guy I know who could sort him no problem.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , A.Lee
scribeth thus
John wrote:

....all fuelled by the press with sensational stories that give the
impression (through quoting the replacement cost including labour) that such
metal is as valuable as gold.

Just by chance, I was at the scrap dealers last week, and asked about
the price of scrap cast iron and steel.
£80/tonne was what they were paying then - which makes it worthwhile
keeping a pile of odds and ends in the back garden until there is a van
full of it.
I took down some cast iron guttering today, so I'll be weighing in the
lot in a few weeks.
To the OP, apparently, lead has gone up in price 4 fold in the last
year, shotgun cartridges are being increased in price by around 15% this
month, the 2nd rise in a year.
Alan.

Small beer to the price of Copper....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

raden wrote:

BTW, I told someone who was looking for a CH fitter to give you a
ring today

Thank you. Was it about a circuit board on a boiler?

Potterton Lynx, yes

Thanks. I did get the call but I couldn't help - not that clever! I passed
him on to a guy I know who could sort him no problem.

That was the idea - I thought that you were in a better position to
point him in the direction of someone local

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article et, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 19:00:20 GMT, raden wrote:

A decent bit of lead flashing will last the best part of 100 years
or longer

.... Unless it's nicked

True enough. B-(

Not so far from here the pikeys nick the signaling cables from along
side the railways for the copper.

And they have the fibre optic cables to and never learn that they don't
contain copper!..

Should cut their bloody hands off .. good old values;!..

Do the Chinese want those too?

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Lead Flashing Vass UK diy 9 June 14th 07 09:17 AM
Cleaning Lead Flashing MrC Home Repair 1 January 12th 05 08:42 PM
soldering lead flashing alterego UK diy 11 September 3rd 04 06:41 PM
soldering lead flashing alterego UK diy 9 August 18th 04 02:50 AM
Lead flashing Dave UK diy 1 June 2nd 04 09:55 PM