Electric Motor Problem on a Cement Mixer

Old August 16th 07, 08:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric Motor Problem on a Cement Mixer

I loned my mixer that had not been used for a few years to a friend but it
only ran for a few seconds then cut out. It would restart but cut out again
so my guess is temperature related but I am hopeless at electric motors. The
mixer has been left in the open.
I have just retreived it with the intention of dumping it but thought I
might as well check it out. The motor is very simple but looks in good
condition. It has a solenoid type switch that cuts out. Now the question is
does it cut out because it is faulty or cut out because something else is
and it cuts out because their is no power. Is the capacitor likely to be the
fault? I assume that I can bypass the switch to rule that in or out.
Is this worth the effort or just dump it?

Kevin

Old August 16th 07, 09:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"zen83237" wrote in message
[...]

The motor on my Belle mixer did this when I dug it out from storage a
few weeks back - turned out to be the internal centrifugal switch that
had jammed. All ok when freed. This is the switch that switches from
the start winding to the run winding, and is mounted on the stator,
but operated by weights / springs fixed to the rear of the rotor.

AWEM

Old August 16th 07, 10:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

zen83237 wrote:
I loned my mixer that had not been used for a few years to a friend but
it only ran for a few seconds then cut out. It would restart but cut out
again so my guess is temperature related but I am hopeless at electric
motors. The mixer has been left in the open.
I have just retreived it with the intention of dumping it but thought I
might as well check it out. The motor is very simple but looks in good
condition. It has a solenoid type switch that cuts out. Now the question
is does it cut out because it is faulty or cut out because something
else is and it cuts out because their is no power. Is the capacitor
likely to be the fault? I assume that I can bypass the switch to rule
that in or out.
Is this worth the effort or just dump it?

Kevin

I loaned mine to a neighbour a few years ago and later noticed he was
start winding was knackered and gave out shortly afterwards. Any chance
your mate has done the same? A new motor wasn't very expensive but it's
too long ago to recall where it came from.

Dave
Old August 27th 07, 09:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Aug, 19:32, "zen83237" wrote:
I loned my mixer that had not been used for a few years to a friend but it
only ran for a few seconds then cut out. It would restart but cut out again
so my guess is temperature related but I am hopeless at electric motors. The
mixer has been left in the open.
I have just retreived it with the intention of dumping it but thought I
might as well check it out. The motor is very simple but looks in good
condition. It has a solenoid type switch that cuts out. Now the question is
does it cut out because it is faulty or cut out because something else is
and it cuts out because their is no power. Is the capacitor likely to be the
fault? I assume that I can bypass the switch to rule that in or out.
Is this worth the effort or just dump it?

Kevin

Hi I have had the same problem it was the capacitor. I contactted the
maufacturers and they wanted £26 I looked at maplin and the same part
was only £6.84 delivered. It is very easy to change. Good luck

Cement Mixer Electric Motor Problem Kev UK diy 4 March 12th 07 11:53 PM
Electric Motor Problem Home Repair 12 January 30th 07 12:09 AM
HF cement mixer Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 10 May 2nd 06 04:16 PM
inverter for cement mixer? legin UK diy 27 March 16th 05 10:06 AM
Grizzly electric 5 hp motor question..... Problem.... Weard..... Kevin Beitz Metalworking 3 April 25th 04 02:21 PM