Strap boss for 3.5" cast iron pipe

Old August 15th 07, 09:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strap boss for 3.5" cast iron pipe

I have a 3 1/2 inch drainpipe that I need to T into, but cant find a
strap on boss designed to fit such a diameter. Does anyone know if
such a thing is sold? Thanks.

Old August 15th 07, 09:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
Mr Uncalled-For writes
I have a 3 1/2 inch drainpipe that I need to T into, but cant find a
strap on boss designed to fit such a diameter. Does anyone know if
such a thing is sold? Thanks.

Try part no 16148, 82 mm, black, strap boss, 2/3 down this page:
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130a.asp
Boss adaptors here, top of the page:
http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130b.asp

But a local plumbers' merchant or drainage supplies place should do the
same. It is 3" nominal so that is what you should be asking for.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Old August 15th 07, 09:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Uncalled-For wrote:
I have a 3 1/2 inch drainpipe that I need to T into, but cant find a
strap on boss designed to fit such a diameter. Does anyone know if
such a thing is sold? Thanks.

Normally you cut the pipe and insert a branch, or a hopper.
Old August 15th 07, 10:43 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 9:53 am, fred wrote:

Try part no 16148, 82 mm, black, strap boss, 2/3 down this page:http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130a.asp
Boss adaptors here, top of the page:http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130b.asp

But a local plumbers' merchant or drainage supplies place should do the
same. It is 3" nominal so that is what you should be asking for.

Thanks. It's exactly 3.5 inches external though - I'm not sure if
that's the same as 3 inches nominal.

Old August 15th 07, 10:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 9:57 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Mr Uncalled-For wrote:
I have a 3 1/2 inch drainpipe that I need to T into, but cant find a
strap on boss designed to fit such a diameter. Does anyone know if
such a thing is sold? Thanks.

Normally you cut the pipe and insert a branch, or a hopper.

I was hoping that the strap-on-boss route might be easier!
The pipe is also crammed into a corner, partially submerged in render
(harling) on one side, which I'll need to chip off to do anything. If
I need to do it properly I think I'd get a plumber in to do it. I am a
bit concerned that the pipe would drop if a section were removed,
although it already does have a branch coming into it that's rendered
into the wall as well, so maybe that'd act as enough of a support. Hmm.

Old August 15th 07, 12:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Mr Uncalled-For writes
On Aug 15, 9:53 am, fred wrote:

Try part no 16148, 82 mm, black, strap boss, 2/3 down this page:http://www.bes.

ltd.uk/products/130a.asp
Boss adaptors here, top of the page:http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/130b.asp

But a local plumbers' merchant or drainage supplies place should do the
same. It is 3" nominal so that is what you should be asking for.

Thanks. It's exactly 3.5 inches external though - I'm not sure if
that's the same as 3 inches nominal.

The one at BES is 82mm so 3.25" which is plenty close enough for a strap
on boss but buy a longer bolt for the back fixing which I'd guess will be M6.

Last one I fitted needed a 57mm hole saw for the pipe, cut slow and use
lube.
Old August 15th 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 12:05 pm, fred wrote:
The one at BES is 82mm so 3.25" which is plenty close enough for a strap
on boss but buy a longer bolt for the back fixing which I'd guess will be M6.

Last one I fitted needed a 57mm hole saw for the pipe, cut slow and use
lube.

Thanks fred. Yes, a longer bolt should do the trick.

Presumably I should use an appropriate grade of waterproof sealant to
ensure a watertight connection between boss and pipe.

Old August 15th 07, 01:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 12:05 pm, fred wrote:

Last one I fitted needed a 57mm hole saw for the pipe, cut slow and use
lube.

Fred, could you tell me would you'd use as a lubricant, when drilling
cast iron?

Old August 15th 07, 04:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 15, 9:23 am, Mr Uncalled-For
wrote:
I have a 3 1/2 inch drainpipe that I need to T into

Well, I checked with a plumber and apparently I would:
* Not be permitted by 'building control' to use the strap-on-boss
solution.
* Would have to do it all in cast iron (externally, that is).
* Have to get a building warrant, covering the entire job, including
routing of the pipe internally.

So, from previous rough quotes I've had in the past for putting
together building warrant applications, I bet it would probably all
cost in the region of 600 if I'm lucky.

For installing a kitchen sink!

But at least I'll now have various speedfit fittings and plastic pipe
that I can take out admire of an evening.

Old August 15th 07, 11:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have a 3 1/2 inch drainpipe that I need to T into

Well, I checked with a plumber and apparently I would:
* Not be permitted by 'building control' to use the strap-on-boss
solution.
* Would have to do it all in cast iron (externally, that is).
* Have to get a building warrant, covering the entire job, including
routing of the pipe internally.

I would not take that as gospel....

The pipe you want to attach to, what is it a soil pipe or a rainwater pipe?

If the latter then you would not be able to tee into it unless you also
have a combined surface and foul water sewer.

There is nothing to stop you mixing plastic with CI in this way as far
as I am aware either.

--
Cheers,

John.

Plastic Pipe To Fit Cast Iron . Stuart UK diy 8 April 7th 06 08:16 PM
Strap On Boss Lenny Brown UK diy 4 January 29th 06 10:49 PM
100mm Strap Boss - does such a thing exist Charlie UK diy 4 March 11th 05 01:16 PM
Req'd: Cast Iron Soil Pipe bracket and Cast Iron>Plastic fittings John Borman UK diy 1 January 9th 05 09:05 PM
Cast iron pipe Rich Home Repair 7 August 5th 04 08:26 AM