Need a nut

Old August 14th 07, 05:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Need a nut

Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket to
get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

.... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ... I
was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

Old August 14th 07, 06:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"James" typed

Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm
socket to
get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

.... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing
nuts! ... I
was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

It might be 8mm on the outside but its internal threading is what's
critical to get right. Is it M5 or what?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 14th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"James" typed

[...]

Yes, an 8mm spanner size nut is an M5. Ask on UK.rec.models.engineering and
someone will probably pop one in an envelope for you. Can't see an online
bolt supplier wanting to sell you a single nut.
--
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Old August 14th 07, 07:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"James" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket

get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into

the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ...

was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

You got any old videos knock about? ruage the garage for scrap ites that you
have no longer use for?
If I was a supplier I certainly would not sell just one nut...sheesh! it
would'nt even be worth the hassle thinking about it.

Old August 14th 07, 08:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

James wrote:
Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket to
get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ... I
was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

Hi,

Try:

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/M5-Full-Nut-DIN-934-A2_ADQY.aspx

Maybe best to buy 2 or 3... or 10

cheers,
Pete.

Old August 14th 07, 08:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 16:58:39 +0100, "James" wrote:

Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm socket to
get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the third into the
bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping to
local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts! ... I
was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

Thanks

ffs - you need to get a life - never mind about a nut.

If you find anywhere who will sell you just one - I suggest you get a
1 inch nail as well just in case you need one in the future.

(On the other hand - if you are a troll - not bad - you got me ;-)
Old August 14th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
k...

"James" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes that works the other way around
like the time I was doing a job in a little village somewhere in
Wales and I needed some cable clips for 3 pair telephone wire.
I go a few doors down to the local ironmongers / hardware store
and she had excatly the clips I wanted.
Just one box should do it I said
You want the whole box? was the surprised reply,
I normally sell them at 4p each.
She then proceeded to count the contents of the box.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 14th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
James wrote:
Does anyone know of a cheap online supplier for nuts ?

Basically I was changing my rear light cluster on my car as some little
idiot decided to smash it. It attached with 3 nuts and using a 8mm
socket to get them off. I managed to get 2 of them off and dropped the
third into the bodywork lost forever!

Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping
to local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

I assume its a 8mm nut as I used a 8mm socket to get it out.

You buy nuts and bolts by the thread size which isn't the same as the
spanner one. IIRC, you want a 5mm nut.

... just typical as soon as I get into a diy mood I start losing nuts!
... I was doing so well untill I get all thumbs.

You'll pay dearly for this one nut if mail order. Most mail order firms
have a minimum order value and minimum carriage charge, so I'd say you
might be lucky to get one for much less than a tenner or so - Screwfix
price for 1000 including postage.

--
*It sounds like English, but I can't understand a word you're saying.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 14th 07, 09:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
James wrote:
Now what I'm after is a replacement. I live in a remote area so popping
to local diy stores is a lengthy process so if anyone knows of a online
supplier who would be happy to sell a single nut would be handy ?

If you want to contact me (observe spam trap) and send me an SAE I'll
happily give you one. As it were.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Old August 14th 07, 10:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete C" wrote in message
ups.com...

James wrote:
[...]

Nice one Oete thats exactly what I need!

Top bloke