Fitting an immersion heater

Old August 6th 07, 02:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting an immersion heater

Due to the fact we ran out of Oil yesterday (should have checked!!) and it
will be a couple of days to get a supply, one disadvantage to a Stanley, no
heating hot water or cooking! carry-out and microwave it is then..... ,

I decided to use this opportunity to fit an immersion heater to the hot
water tank, now remove the blanking plug that was fitted by a 20st gorilla
in the factory, well after a spanner, hammer and a few curses, the tank
appears to start distorting if I put pressure on it? I have come to the
conclusion it is not going to come out without a fight! (1)

Anyone have any ideas how to get it out, preferably without replacing the
tank as well? (2)

Des

(1) after the incident last year when I fitted a shower pump, and it turned
out the cold water galvanised tank was more like a colander when the mud was
disturbed thankyou insurance .

(2) Then the original hot water tank which had the immersian heater in it
sprung a leak

ahh the pleasures of maintaining an old cottrage

Old August 6th 07, 03:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 6, 2:03 pm, "Dieseldes" wrote:

Anyone have any ideas how to get it out, preferably without replacing the
tank as well? (2)

Have you emptied it? Having it full of water can help prevent it from
distorting while trying to undo the blanking plug. You could also try
heating the blanking plug to free it up.

Alan

Old August 6th 07, 07:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Aug, 14:03, "Dieseldes" wrote:
[...]

The threads are probably stuck with the old plumbers favourite "boss-
white". An immersion ring spanner with a short handle and a 1.5lb
hammer to apply impacts to the end of it while the cylinder is full
and under pressure is the way to do it. You may have already creased
the shell so its probably buggered now. You ought to have looked
through the old threads in here - its been covered many times before.

Old August 6th 07, 08:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:35:44 -0700, cynic
mused:

[...]

You won't get an immmersion spanner on an immersion blanking plug.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old August 6th 07, 08:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 07:45:01 -0700, AlanC
mused:

On Aug 6, 2:03 pm, "Dieseldes" wrote:

Anyone have any ideas how to get it out, preferably without replacing the
tank as well? (2)

Have you emptied it? Having it full of water can help prevent it from
distorting while trying to undo the blanking plug. You could also try
heating the blanking plug to free it up.

You want to heat the metal around the plug, if you just heat the plug
it will expand in the whole and be even more stuck.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Old August 6th 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 07:45:01 -0700, AlanC
mused:

On Aug 6, 2:03 pm, "Dieseldes" wrote:

Anyone have any ideas how to get it out, preferably without replacing
the
tank as well? (2)

Have you emptied it? Having it full of water can help prevent it from
distorting while trying to undo the blanking plug. You could also try
heating the blanking plug to free it up.

It's still nearly full, and it's got insulation sprayed? on it. I have tried
again but it does not want to shift it has thread tape wrapped round.

You want to heat the metal around the plug, if you just heat the plug
it will expand in the whole and be even more stuck.

Though that gave me an idea, I am sure I have a spray freezer can
somewhere, if I can find it that it may work, if not I think I will be back
to plan B...

Des

Old August 6th 07, 10:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lurch" wrote in message
[...]

found out that one!

Fitting a New Immersion Heater [email protected] UK diy 37 June 21st 12 01:40 PM
Immersion Heater Macc Glyn UK diy 15 June 14th 07 06:03 PM
Immersion Heater The Medway Handyman UK diy 26 January 24th 07 09:21 PM
immersion heater painterman1 UK diy 9 December 30th 06 07:22 PM
Immersion heater [email protected] UK diy 7 February 3rd 06 02:47 PM