Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wood for soffit boards?

I've been asked to replace some guttering, which isnt a problem, but
some of the external soffit boarding is rotten, so will have to be
replaced.
What wood is used for this?
It looks like they only want a few sections replaced, rather than
having the whole lot done - it is only the outed board, where the
guttering screws to, that is rotten, the others on the underside are
fine.
Ta
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you mean facia ,soffit is underneath,softewood from your local
merchant will suffice you will need to know the existing size,problem id the
old has shrunk and you will need to size to fit.

Alex
"A.Lee" wrote in message
I've been asked to replace some guttering, which isnt a problem, but
some of the external soffit boarding is rotten, so will have to be
replaced.
What wood is used for this?
It looks like they only want a few sections replaced, rather than
having the whole lot done - it is only the outed board, where the
guttering screws to, that is rotten, the others on the underside are
fine.
Ta
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ALex wrote:
I've been asked to replace some guttering, which isnt a problem, but
some of the external soffit boarding is rotten, so will have to be
replaced.

I think you mean facia ,soffit is underneath,softewood from your local
merchant will suffice you will need to know the existing size,problem id the
old has shrunk and you will need to size to fit.

Well, yes, maybe it is the fascia.
I wouldnt have thought untreated softwood would be any good for this -
although painted, it is is a rather exposed to the elements.
Ta
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
ALex wrote:
I've been asked to replace some guttering, which isnt a problem,

but
some of the external soffit boarding is rotten, so will have to

be
replaced.

I think you mean facia ,soffit is underneath,softewood from your

local
merchant will suffice you will need to know the existing

size,problem id the
old has shrunk and you will need to size to fit.

Well, yes, maybe it is the fascia.
I wouldnt have thought untreated softwood would be any good for

this -
although painted, it is is a rather exposed to the elements.
Ta
Alan.

Now let's see - did someone mention that the original rotted G

Cut to size, check fit, then soak in preservative that's paintable
overable

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:

ALex wrote:
I've been asked to replace some guttering, which isnt a problem, but
some of the external soffit boarding is rotten, so will have to be
replaced.

I think you mean facia ,soffit is underneath,softewood from your
local merchant will suffice you will need to know the existing
size,problem id the old has shrunk and you will need to size to fit.

Well, yes, maybe it is the fascia.
I wouldnt have thought untreated softwood would be any good for this -
although painted, it is is a rather exposed to the elements.
Ta
Alan.

Why not clad it with uPVC before fixing the gutters. You won't then have to
paint the board, and the uPVC will protect it from the elements. (You'll
have to clad the whole lot, of course, not just the new board - but uPVC
cladding is not *that* expensive[1] - and it will then be maintenance-free
for a very long time.)

[1] Approx £3 per metre for white - see
http://www.nationalplastics.co.uk/fa...a.php?aid=1747
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:33:05 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

Now let's see - did someone mention that the original rotted G

Cut to size, check fit, then soak in preservative that's paintable
overable

Mostly they rot from behind because the layer of roofing felt that is
supposed to cunduct the water off the roof into the gutter rotted away
years ago resulting in water running down the back of the fascia.

Painting the exposed front of the fascia does nothing for this.

A proprietory plastic eaves tray provides a more durable solution.
Illustrations and description on here but be aware it is a plastic
fascia fitters site. I'm not advocating plastic fascias. :

http://www.frontlinefascias.co.uk/installation.html

I wouldn't have a plastic fascia, some of our neighbours have had to
have their replacement plastic fascias replaced again.

For me working at roof height is not DIY - able. I got a local builder
to re-do my facias and fit those proprietory trays using Phillipino
mahogany. I made sure it got 2 coats of Sikkens all over before it
went up, and 2 more on the outside afterwards.

Now, it's sorted.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jul, 17:47, (A.Lee) wrote:
I've been asked to replace some guttering, which isnt a problem, but
some of the external soffit boarding is rotten, so will have to be
replaced.
What wood is used for this?
It looks like they only want a few sections replaced, rather than
having the whole lot done - it is only the outed board, where the
guttering screws to, that is rotten, the others on the underside are
fine.
Ta
Alan.

Dear Alan

I use Tanalised roof boarding slightly planed down or purpose-treated
Scots pine
chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 31, 7:38 pm, Derek Geldard I wouldn't have a plastic fascia,
some of our neighbours have had to
have their replacement plastic fascias replaced again.

After how long? If the same fitters had fitted would how long would
they have lasted? Almost certainly related to the level of competence
of the original fitters, or your neighbours gullibility.

I was offered replacement uPVC windows 3 months after I had already
had the whole house done, but I didn't take them up.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
I've been asked to replace some guttering, which isnt a problem, but
some of the external soffit boarding is rotten, so will have to be
replaced.
What wood is used for this?
It looks like they only want a few sections replaced, rather than
having the whole lot done - it is only the outed board, where the
guttering screws to, that is rotten, the others on the underside are
fine.
Ta
Alan.

Waterproof ply is not a bad choice.

neither is a masterboard type material, but it costs

Wood Expansion: Fence Boards Alan Smithee Woodworking 4 June 12th 06 09:30 PM
Soffit boards Andrew Gabriel UK diy 5 April 20th 06 09:32 PM
Capping Wood Grain Boards Jennie UK diy 0 September 3rd 05 01:29 PM
Wood movement and cupped boards Lars S Woodworking 18 March 20th 05 06:44 PM
Vented soffit boards Mike UK diy 0 February 7th 05 08:44 PM