Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Ed is offline

Default Dusk to Dawn Bulbs

I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night, they came from Toolstation and I have exchanged one and the new one
is just the same , Any tips on how to position these bulbs and if they would
be better without lamp shades, or would they perhaps be faulty Thanks E

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jul, 13:54, "Ed" wrote:

I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night, they came from Toolstation and I have exchanged one and the new one
is just the same , Any tips on how to position these bulbs and if they would
be better without lamp shades, or would they perhaps be faulty Thanks E

Maybe the light sensor is seeing the lamp's own light reflected back
at it, and thinking its daylight. Solution would be to shield the
sensor from the light from the bulb as far as poss.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ed" wrote in message
I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night, they came from Toolstation and I have exchanged one and the new one
is just the same , Any tips on how to position these bulbs and if they

would
be better without lamp shades, or would they perhaps be faulty Thanks E

Elimination,have you tried them elsewere in the house ie another room

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Ed is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
On 30 Jul, 13:54, "Ed" wrote:

I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night, they came from Toolstation and I have exchanged one and the new
one
is just the same , Any tips on how to position these bulbs and if they
would
be better without lamp shades, or would they perhaps be faulty Thanks E

Maybe the light sensor is seeing the lamp's own light reflected back
at it, and thinking its daylight. Solution would be to shield the
sensor from the light from the bulb as far as poss.

NT

The sensor is on the case of the bulb just above the bayonet cap

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Ed is offline

"George" wrote in message
k...

"Ed" wrote in message
I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night, they came from Toolstation and I have exchanged one and the new
one
is just the same , Any tips on how to position these bulbs and if they

would
be better without lamp shades, or would they perhaps be faulty Thanks E

Elimination,have you tried them elsewere in the house ie another room

Will do to-night

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:54:43 +0100 someone who may be "Ed"
wrote this:-

I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night,

How rapidly do they switch on and off?

If this is less than say every five minutes they are probably seeing
the light from the lamp.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Ed is offline

wrote this:-

I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night,

How rapidly do they switch on and off?

If this is less than say every five minutes they are probably seeing
the light from the lamp.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Two to three minutes , but as the sensors are on the bulb case they
probably wont work in a normal pendant fitting near a window

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had some hassle with these - if you mean the energy saving ones. Firstly,
they only seem to come down as low as 15W, which is much too bright and
glary for what I was using them for - lighting an outside flight of steps.
They were also very expensive and very short lived.

Eventually, I gave up on the built in sensors, and just bought a single
photo switch of the type used in street lights, and it has now been reliably
turning on and off a series of 4, 7w cfls for a couple of years, with no
lamp failures yet. Very good.

wrote this:-

I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night,

How rapidly do they switch on and off?

If this is less than say every five minutes they are probably seeing
the light from the lamp.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Two to three minutes , but as the sensors are on the bulb case they
probably wont work in a normal pendant fitting near a window

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 22:20:15 +0100 someone who may be "The Medway
Handyman" wrote this:-

Maybe the light sensor is seeing the lamp's own light reflected back
at it, and thinking its daylight. Solution would be to shield the
sensor from the light from the bulb as far as poss.

I've always been puzzled as to how these things work. If their own light
can turn them off, how do they ever turn on? Is it a different wavelength
or something?

Their own light can turn them off if it is reflected back from the
luminaire to the sensor. This can happen with the type of luminaire
that has metal bands around a glass envelope.

I would use a remote sensor if doing this with a table or standard
lamp, which appeared to be what the original question was about.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Hansen" wrote in message

Their own light can turn them off if it is reflected back from the
luminaire to the sensor. This can happen with the type of luminaire
that has metal bands around a glass envelope.

I would use a remote sensor if doing this with a table or standard
lamp, which appeared to be what the original question was about.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

I use these less hassle and can be rando times to come on and off
throughtout the week.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/9827992.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Jul, 16:46, "Ed" wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
On 30 Jul, 13:54, "Ed" wrote:

I have two dusk to dawn fluorescent bulbs, I have placed in my house ,
although they come on at dusk they keep switching on and off during the
night, they came from Toolstation and I have exchanged one and the new
one
is just the same , Any tips on how to position these bulbs and if they
would
be better without lamp shades, or would they perhaps be faulty Thanks E

Maybe the light sensor is seeing the lamp's own light reflected back
at it, and thinking its daylight. Solution would be to shield the
sensor from the light from the bulb as far as poss.

NT

The sensor is on the case of the bulb just above the bayonet cap

Indeed. Ensure it points as towards the window as poss, reduce
lampshade reflection, and if still necessary glue a bit of black card
on to reduce light from the lamp falling on the sensor.

As has been said, sensor built into bulb isnt very smart as you have
to repeatedly replace the sensor every time the bulb goes. I dont know
why anyone buys them.

NT