Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default VOIP System: Often when I call out and called party picks up, I get busy signal.

I have VOIP through Axvoice. I have had this with two desk phones. I
contacted desk phone manufacturer, and they deny any issue. They say that the
VOIP provider would have a certain setting. I didn't follow through and don't
know what that is. But my issue persists. Success with Cell phone. Thinking of
going to MagicJack. Anyone know why I would get busy signal when called party
picks up?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...p-1188710-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 08 Feb 2017 22:14:02 GMT, Daniel Baker
m wrote:

I have VOIP through Axvoice. I have had this with two desk phones. I
contacted desk phone manufacturer, and they deny any issue. They say that the
VOIP provider would have a certain setting. I didn't follow through and don't
know what that is. But my issue persists. Success with Cell phone. Thinking of
going to MagicJack. Anyone know why I would get busy signal when called party
picks up?

I use sipcentric.com for US stuff I hadn't heard of Axvoice but
looking at their offering it doesn't look that exciting.

My guess is that it's a codec issue.
You don't say what model of desk phone you have, try and find the
media codec settings and give G711u priority.

Also Home Owners Hub is the spawn of the devil, read this
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't get me started on Voip. The bandwidth and compression often is so bad
a tone dialer never works via a microphone any more.Its probably picking up
the wrong number.
Until these companies do things so it sounds as good as a normal line they
can stuff it.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Daniel Baker" m wrote in
message ...
I have VOIP through Axvoice. I have had this with two desk phones. I
contacted desk phone manufacturer, and they deny any issue. They say that
the
VOIP provider would have a certain setting. I didn't follow through and
don't
know what that is. But my issue persists. Success with Cell phone.
Thinking of
going to MagicJack. Anyone know why I would get busy signal when called
party
picks up?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...p-1188710-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 09:49:58 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Don't get me started on Voip. The bandwidth and compression often is so
bad ...

Not conflating mobiles with VOIP are you? Mobiles go from bad to
unuseable with excessive delay. Our VOIP has minimal delay (and I
suspect most of that is our interleaved ADSL), Bandwidth more than a
POTS line and no "donald duck" compression artifacts.

... a tone dialer never works via a microphone any more.

I've not tried it, VOIP signals keypad presses outside the voice
channel for "press 1 for..." menu systems.

Until these companies do things so it sounds as good as a normal line
they can stuff it.

Our VOIP is better than a call carried over the POTS line used to
carry the VOIP... 3 ish miles of twisted pair takes it's toll on
analogue signals. Compared to VOIP a POTS call is lower level, lower
bandwidth, with some added noise/hum and sometimes dialing pulses.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Don't get me started on Voip. The bandwidth and compression often is so bad
a tone dialer never works via a microphone any more.Its probably picking up
the wrong number.
Until these companies do things so it sounds as good as a normal line they
can stuff it.
Brian

Beg to differ Brian. We use VoIPfone here and have done so for around 5
years now and no problems Two companies I'm associated with use Gradwell
and voip.co.uk and there're fine too, excellent call quality.

And best of all?.

No frickin BT involvement:-)

However your tone dialler may well be a problem due to the Vocoder in
use, can't you use the normal DTMF keyboard?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
On Thu, 9 Feb 2017 09:49:58 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Don't get me started on Voip. The bandwidth and compression often is so
bad ...

Not conflating mobiles with VOIP are you? Mobiles go from bad to
unuseable with excessive delay. Our VOIP has minimal delay (and I
suspect most of that is our interleaved ADSL), Bandwidth more than a
POTS line and no "donald duck" compression artifacts.

No bother here Dave, in fact call quality on 4G via Vodafone is very
good indeed..

... a tone dialer never works via a microphone any more.

I've not tried it, VOIP signals keypad presses outside the voice
channel for "press 1 for..." menu systems.

Until these companies do things so it sounds as good as a normal line
they can stuff it.

Our VOIP is better than a call carried over the POTS line used to
carry the VOIP... 3 ish miles of twisted pair takes it's toll on
analogue signals. Compared to VOIP a POTS call is lower level, lower
bandwidth, with some added noise/hum and sometimes dialing pulses.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:52:08 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Not conflating mobiles with VOIP are you? Mobiles go from bad to
unuseable with excessive delay. Our VOIP has minimal delay (and I
suspect most of that is our interleaved ADSL), Bandwidth more than

POTS line and no "donald duck" compression artifacts.

No bother here Dave, in fact call quality on 4G via Vodafone is very
good indeed..

Is that native 4G mobile calls or VOIP over 4G data? Of the four
network operators only EE provide 4G, 3 might from their cell (note
singular), Vodafone is 3G and 02 2G!

But even then you have to be upstairs, by a window, on the right side
of the house to stand a chance of having a succesfull mobile phone
call. 50 yds down the road - NO SIGNAL. No saturation coverage here
like you get in towns and cities. People drive up from the village
and park across the road to make phone calls... Strangers to the area
get a bit of shock when their phone doesn't work and their full
postcode GPS plonks them in the middle of a field 1/2 a mile from any
building. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:52:08 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Not conflating mobiles with VOIP are you? Mobiles go from bad to
unuseable with excessive delay. Our VOIP has minimal delay (and I
suspect most of that is our interleaved ADSL), Bandwidth more than

POTS line and no "donald duck" compression artifacts.

No bother here Dave, in fact call quality on 4G via Vodafone is very
good indeed..

Is that native 4G mobile calls or VOIP over 4G data? Of the four
network operators only EE provide 4G, 3 might from their cell (note
singular), Vodafone is 3G and 02 2G!

That's over native 4G, don't bother with VoIP have unlimited minutes..

But even then you have to be upstairs, by a window, on the right side
of the house to stand a chance of having a succesfull mobile phone
call. 50 yds down the road - NO SIGNAL. No saturation coverage here
like you get in towns and cities. People drive up from the village
and park across the road to make phone calls... Strangers to the area
get a bit of shock when their phone doesn't work and their full
postcode GPS plonks them in the middle of a field 1/2 a mile from any
building. B-)

The price you pay for living in such a picturesque location i
suppose;!..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:50:16 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

No frickin BT involvement:-)

If you use Voip over ADSL, or even FTTC, then you are using your BT
wires or fibre. If you have TalkTalk or Zen or phonesRus as your phone
supplier, then you are using the same BT wires. So why does Voip mean
'no fricking BT involvement'?
Only by using a non-BT system, such as Virgin, would this be possible.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think he meneans that the bt landline infrastructure of charging calls and
use of their old wired telephone system is not in play, its over the same
lines as the internet, if that be bt, but not the charging. The snag is that
they rush you line rental anyway, but at least the call charges are
separate.
Unfortunately as I said before in this thread, the dialling of numbers over
services like Voonage etc, seems to be less robust than a directly connected
telephone system. I know this is I'd used it for some time but had to get
off due to wrong numbers and the inability of a tone dialling memory pad
when used on the microphone which worked 100 percent on the virgin telephone
connect3ed directly.

There were also distortion compression and echo delay issues that made it
almost unusable.
So Voip is a nice idea, but seldom seems robust enough.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
news
tony sayer wrote:

No frickin BT involvement:-)

If you use Voip over ADSL, or even FTTC, then you are using your BT
wires or fibre. If you have TalkTalk or Zen or phonesRus as your phone
supplier, then you are using the same BT wires. So why does Voip mean
'no fricking BT involvement'?
Only by using a non-BT system, such as Virgin, would this be possible.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 11:34:39 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I think he meneans that the bt landline infrastructure of charging
calls and use of their old wired telephone system is not in play,
its over the same lines as the internet, if that be bt, but not the
charging. The snag is that they rush you line rental anyway, but at
least the call charges are separate.

But I use Zen, and I pay them for the line rental, and it's less than I
would be paying BT. That's why I moved to them. That, and the better
service, and a charging system that doesn't need an accountancy degree
and a crystal ball to understand.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:50:16 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

No frickin BT involvement:-)

Suppose i should have said billing and all that;!

If you use Voip over ADSL, or even FTTC, then you are using your BT
wires or fibre. If you have TalkTalk or Zen or phonesRus as your phone
supplier, then you are using the same BT wires. So why does Voip mean
'no fricking BT involvement'?
Only by using a non-BT system, such as Virgin, would this be possible.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

Yep simples. We use Virgin and very good they are too here 200 down and
12 up!...

But as said more often than not these days the unlimited mins on
Vodafone..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Davey
scribeth thus
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I think he meneans that the bt landline infrastructure of charging
calls and use of their old wired telephone system is not in play,
its over the same lines as the internet, if that be bt, but not the
charging. The snag is that they rush you line rental anyway, but at
least the call charges are separate.

But I use Zen, and I pay them for the line rental, and it's less than I
would be paying BT. That's why I moved to them. That, and the better
service, and a charging system that doesn't need an accountancy degree
and a crystal ball to understand.

And a decent well run firm they are too Zen..

Use them where VM don't go..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 13:41:56 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

And a decent well run firm they are too Zen..

Very much. Wonderful tech. help, good notes enable a different techie
to easily pick up where another left off.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 13:40:59 +0000
tony sayer wrote:

Suppose i should have said billing and all that;!

Ah, but Zen, and probably other POTS users, have very simple and
uncomplicated billing systems. The fact that BT persists in having its
own weird and unintelligible methods is just another factor not in its
favour.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:39:28 +0000, Davey wrote:

But I use Zen, and I pay them for the line rental, and it's less than I
would be paying BT.

Do Zen own, operate and maintain the physical copper/glass connection
to your premises? Do they offer a 365 day end of next day fault
repair option? Note: "end of next day" (which includes Christmas Day)
not "end of next working day".

Zen appear to be £16.99/month I'm due to renew with BT at
£21.04/month for rental *and* end of next day fault repairs. Cheap
(FSVO "cheap") calls are not a selling point for usas we don't make a
great deal of calls. £10 credit to the VOIP service provider lasts 3
to 6 months for SWMBO'd, me over a year...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:09:48 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:39:28 +0000, Davey wrote:

But I use Zen, and I pay them for the line rental, and it's less
than I would be paying BT.

Do Zen own, operate and maintain the physical copper/glass connection
to your premises? Do they offer a 365 day end of next day fault
repair option? Note: "end of next day" (which includes Christmas Day)
not "end of next working day".

I don't think so, but I don't need that, nor made any claim that they
did. I would be amazed if BT actually provide that service. To do that,
they would have to have a very cosy relationship with Openreach, which I
thought was forbidden.

Zen appear to be £16.99/month I'm due to renew with BT at
£21.04/month for rental *and* end of next day fault repairs. Cheap
(FSVO "cheap") calls are not a selling point for usas we don't make a
great deal of calls. £10 credit to the VOIP service provider lasts 3
to 6 months for SWMBO'd, me over a year...

We make very few calls as well. For my requirements, Zen makes a lot
more sense than BT did.
Your requirements and priorities may well differ.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:39:28 +0000, Davey wrote:

But I use Zen, and I pay them for the line rental, and it's less
than I would be paying BT.

Do Zen own, operate and maintain the physical copper/glass
connection to your premises? Do they offer a 365 day end of next
day fault repair option? Note: "end of next day" (which includes
Christmas Day) not "end of next working day".

I don't think so, but I don't need that, nor made any claim that
they did. I would be amazed if BT actually provide that service.

Prepare to be amazed. It's called Total Care. Costs £4/qtr per line
and worth every single penny. You may have to bitch at BT to get it
(they may (wrongly) say it's not valid for domestic lines.)

http://www.bt.co.uk/pricing/current/...201_d0e445.htm

Maybe. But I'll stick with Zen, and sensible billing, thanks.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:39:28 +0000, Davey wrote:

But I use Zen, and I pay them for the line rental, and it's less
than I would be paying BT.

Do Zen own, operate and maintain the physical copper/glass connection
to your premises? Do they offer a 365 day end of next day fault repair
option? Note: "end of next day" (which includes Christmas Day)
not "end of next working day".

I don't think so, but I don't need that, nor made any claim that they
did. I would be amazed if BT actually provide that service.

Prepare to be amazed. It's called Total Care. Costs £4/qtr per line and
worth every single penny. You may have to bitch at BT to get it (they
may (wrongly) say it's not valid for domestic lines.)

http://www.bt.co.uk/pricing/current/...201_d0e445.htm

Yup. I've had it for years, and It's been quite impressive when I've had
to 'use' it. Although on one occasion the Indian woman in the call centre
cleraly hadn't a clue about what it was, and I had to insist she asked
her supervisor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 12:39:28 +0000, Davey wrote:

But I use Zen, and I pay them for the line rental, and it's less
than I would be paying BT.

Do Zen own, operate and maintain the physical copper/glass connection
to your premises? Do they offer a 365 day end of next day fault
repair option? Note: "end of next day" (which includes Christmas Day)
not "end of next working day".

I don't think so, but I don't need that, nor made any claim that they
did. I would be amazed if BT actually provide that service.

Prepare to be amazed. It's called Total Care. Costs £4/qtr per line
and worth every single penny. You may have to bitch at BT to get it
(they may (wrongly) say it's not valid for domestic lines.)

http://www.bt.co.uk/pricing/current/...201_d0e445.htm

If BT can offer it then so to can any ISP.

Mine does. Although they call it 'prompt care'

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Dave if its that important rapid backup and fault clearance then why not
get a mobile and a 3 or 4G dangle and mount it up on the chimney

And they are capable of kicking Openreach's arse when required, and are
much easier to deal with
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
[...]

Mine works fine. Yes, dialling reliability isnt quite a good as
with the POTS service. I do get something like 5% of calls
where nothing happens when you dial out, just silence.

One other quirk is that mine is much more fussy about the
number dialled. So when you have called a number which
has a menu system, you can't just redial with the menu
numbers included, it whines about it being an invalid number.

news
tony sayer wrote:

No frickin BT involvement:-)

If you use Voip over ADSL, or even FTTC, then you are using your BT
wires or fibre. If you have TalkTalk or Zen or phonesRus as your phone
supplier, then you are using the same BT wires. So why does Voip mean
'no fricking BT involvement'?
Only by using a non-BT system, such as Virgin, would this be possible.

If I'm wrong, please explain.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 21:36:14 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

Dave if its that important rapid backup and fault clearance then why not
get a mobile and a 3 or 4G dangle and mount it up on the chimney

What makes you think I haven't got that as well? The dongle I have
will do 4G but:

O2 and Vodafone don't offer 3G or 4G here.
Three only offer 3G.
EE offer 3G and 4G.

Then you have find a PAYG(*), SIM only deal, from an operator that
uses EE or Three as their network operator, that works on at least 3G
and allows data tethering. When I was setting this up last year Asda
Mobile was pretty much the only one to fit all those requirements but
is only 3G.

(*) Only a backup so any monthly cost is not acceptable.

And they are capable of kicking Openreach's arse when required, and are
much easier to deal with

Very much like A&A who I used for ADSL.

Apart from the offshore call center that sticks rigidly to the
script(s) I don't find Openreach any problem. Total Care tends to
make 'em jump, possibly jump too much. They ended up pulling an
engineer (with local knowledge) off a job 40 miles away when the
first engineer (without local knowledge) couldn't fix the lack of
POTs service, the ADSL was just about working. Despite me telling him
that there is a joint post (and where to find it), in Ali cable, at
the distance his TDR was saying there was a line anomaly, he tried to
fine a spare pair, except there aren't any that work. 2nd engineer
got the same TDR result, found the fractured Ali wire in jelly bean
in the expected joint post and fixed it in 10 mins.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 16:22:36 +0000, Davey wrote:

I would be amazed if BT actually provide that service.

End of next day repair service? Look up Total Care, £4.00/month inc
VAT.

To do that, they would have to have a very cosy relationship with
Openreach, which I thought was forbidden.

In theory, as BT Openreach operate an open network, any operator
using the Openreach network should be able to buy an "end of next
day" service level from Openreach just as BT Retail do. But I don't
know where BT Wholesale fits...

We make very few calls as well. For my requirements, Zen makes a lot
more sense than BT did.

For calls that's not difficult. A short ( 1 min) daytime call at BT
Retail standard rates will cost around 40p, maybe 50p?

Your requirements and priorities may well differ.

Total Care probably isn't quite such a requirement as it was when the
kids were home. No internet was my fault and why wasn't I fixing it.
Being in the Dog House for up to a week for Standard Care wasn't
acceptable. See other post about the difficulties around mobile data
as a backup.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 18:33:46 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

http://www.bt.co.uk/pricing/current/...201_d0e445.htm

If BT can offer it then so to can any ISP.

Mine does. Although they call it 'prompt care'

How confusing BT have a "Prompt Care" as well. Which of BT's offering
does your ISPs "Prompt Care" match?

BT Total Ca fixed by end of next day, any day of the year, hours
nominally 0800 1800.

BT Prompt Ca repair work Mon to Sat 0800 1800. Not Sundays, Public
or Bank Holidays.

--
Cheers
Dave.