Aiden

Default Shower Mixer

We have been informed by our shower mixer supplier that we cannot buy
a two-knob themostatic mixer valve that use the "ceramic disc"
technology for the 1/4 turn on/off - he has sold us one that works
like a conventional tap and seems to require about six turns to get
fully on. Surely he must be mistaken? Any ideas anybody of one we
might buy - not top of the range?!
Thanks

David W.E. Roberts

"Aiden" wrote in message
We have been informed by our shower mixer supplier that we cannot buy
a two-knob themostatic mixer valve that use the "ceramic disc"
technology for the 1/4 turn on/off - he has sold us one that works
like a conventional tap and seems to require about six turns to get
fully on. Surely he must be mistaken? Any ideas anybody of one we
might buy - not top of the range?!
Thanks

Not sure quite what you are after - and if ceramic valve is more important
than quarter turn.

When you say 'two knob thermostatic mixer' I presume you mean a mixer with
one knob to control the flow of water and one to set the temperature of the
thermostat?

We have just fitted a Triton Tay bath shower mixer (i.e. bath taps and
shower mixer all in one) which has two knobs - one a thermostatic
temperature control and the other an on/off which turns half a turn from
fully on to fully off.
I think Triton do a shower only version as well.

Our Aqualisa shower (which is ceramic disc) works with a central knob and
this takes almost a full rotation of the knob from fully off to fully on.

Our kitchen taps (ceramic disc again) only take about a quarter turn but
this is a different application from a shower, obviously.

So your supplier may well be right, and there may not be a 1/4 turn ceramic
disc thermostatic shower mixer.
However 1/2 to 1 turn is readily available.

HTH
Dave R

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Aiden wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:17:00 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

snip

Not sure quite what you are after - and if ceramic valve is more important
than quarter turn.

When you say 'two knob thermostatic mixer' I presume you mean a mixer with
one knob to control the flow of water and one to set the temperature of the
thermostat?

Sorry, yes of course you are right we are looking for a 'two knob
thermostatic mixer' but one that has a "quick" turning on for flow -
1/4 turn was just my wording - doesn't matter about ceramic discs etc.

On my shopping list for our new bathroom is a Matki Elixir thermostatic
mixer that turns 180 degrees from off to on. See

http://www.matki.co.uk/collections/elixir/elixir.html

You can't see it in the picture but from IIRC the lower knob is labelled
"Off" to the left and "On" to the right - the picture shows it half on.
The upper knob is the thermostat, of course. Costs about £300, and looks
every penny of it.

--
Mike Barnes
David W.E. Roberts

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Aiden" wrote in message

snip
We have just fitted a Triton Tay bath shower mixer (i.e. bath taps and
shower mixer all in one) which has two knobs - one a thermostatic
temperature control and the other an on/off which turns half a turn from
fully on to fully off.
I think Triton do a shower only version as well.

snip
Forgot to say - the Triton Tay was £165 + VAT from Falcon Plumbing and
Heating Supplies Ltd. in Colchester.
Quite a hefty discount from the list price - so far it looks good and works
well.

John Stumbles

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Aiden wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:17:00 +0100, "David W.E. Roberts"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Same idea but less trendy (and a third of the price) is the one BES do.
Theirs has temp at the bottom, flow at the top, and round knobs without the
levers (but with flats on so you can turn them with soapy hands). The
backplate is round-cornered, sort of oval shaped, instead of rectangular.
I've fitted a couple: one to a combi, one on gravity, and both seem OK
(haven't actually showered in either myself, just stuck my elbow under!)

--
John Stumbles