Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting to Condensing Combi? Which boiler?

Hi,

I have just purchased a ex local authority 3 bed semi which has gas central
heating (rads and cylinder).

I want to remove the cylinder (to gain the space of the airing cupboard) and
change the system to a combi.

No doubt this would be condensing. I have looked at the SEDBUK rating,
however there are a number of products with A rating. What would be the
recommendation of this group for boilers to look at considering 1)
effeciency 2) reliability 3) purchase cost.

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:59:22 +0000, Bob Smith wrote:

Hi,

I have just purchased a ex local authority 3 bed semi which has gas central
heating (rads and cylinder).

I want to remove the cylinder (to gain the space of the airing cupboard) and
change the system to a combi.

No doubt this would be condensing. I have looked at the SEDBUK rating,
however there are a number of products with A rating. What would be the
recommendation of this group for boilers to look at considering 1)
effeciency 2) reliability 3) purchase cost.

please see the boiler choice FAQ.
You get what you pay for.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIY DIY is offline

"Bob Smith" wrote:
Hi,

I have just purchased a ex local authority 3 bed semi which has gas
central heating (rads and cylinder).

I want to remove the cylinder (to gain the space of the airing cupboard)
and change the system to a combi.

No doubt this would be condensing. I have looked at the SEDBUK rating,
however there are a number of products with A rating. What would be the
recommendation of this group for boilers to look at considering 1)
effeciency 2) reliability 3) purchase cost.

Cheers

I have just had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior condensing combi
fitted to replace a knackered Baxi gas-fired back boiler. It meets your
criteria 1) and 2) but it isn't cheap. I don't see how you can have a very
efficient and reliable boiler that is also cheap!

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=product.home&con_id=125926

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 05:34:00 +0100, DIY wrote:

I have just had a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior condensing combi
fitted to replace a knackered Baxi gas-fired back boiler. It meets your
criteria 1) and 2) but it isn't cheap.

About £700 inc VAT and standard flue on the boiler scheme. Not cheap
compared to Cravenheat and Biarsi but for pukka kits it's not bad.

I think glowworm still have a cashback offer which gets you one of their
new combis for about £400, which is seriously tempting if Glowworm
havene't gone Potty.

I don't see how you can have a
very efficient and reliable boiler that is also cheap!

pick any 2 out of 3 :-)

--
John Stumbles

Time flies like an arrow