Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Paint stripping

On 13 Jul, 14:58, wrote:
Hello,

I had read about stripping gloss paint by heating, sanding, or
chemical strippers but how do you strip emulsions or don't you?

Our bathroom ceiling has some peeling paint. I have scraped this back
to the plaster. I thought I would have to strip all the paint - good
and bad - off so that the whole ceiling is back to the plaster, so
that the new coat will be flat but I have had limited success sanding
and heating so far.

No web sites seem to mention stripping emulsions. Is it not necessary?
Will a few coats hide any patches where I scraped the peeling paint
off?

Thanks.

Cover the emulsion with a coat of thick wallpaper paste, let it stand
for 1/2 an hour, then try scraping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Fuxit wrote:
On 13 Jul, 14:58, wrote:
Hello,

I had read about stripping gloss paint by heating, sanding, or
chemical strippers but how do you strip emulsions or don't you?

Our bathroom ceiling has some peeling paint. I have scraped this back
to the plaster. I thought I would have to strip all the paint - good
and bad - off so that the whole ceiling is back to the plaster, so
that the new coat will be flat but I have had limited success sanding
and heating so far.

No web sites seem to mention stripping emulsions. Is it not necessary?
Will a few coats hide any patches where I scraped the peeling paint
off?

Thanks.

Cover the emulsion with a coat of thick wallpaper paste, let it stand
for 1/2 an hour, then try scraping.

Nitromors type strippers will do emulsion. Not something I'd fancy doing
on a ceiling though

Paint stripping Scruffyhippo UK diy 0 July 13th 07 03:19 PM
Paint stripping fred UK diy 3 April 18th 07 03:04 PM
Paint stripping and drills... B.B. Metalworking 16 July 12th 05 04:36 PM
Stripping paint with heat? Bob Home Repair 16 April 28th 05 04:12 PM
Paint stripping Philip Clark UK diy 0 December 13th 04 10:44 AM