Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Part P exam questions on line

Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some people
out there who will enjoy them.

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-2.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-3.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-5.htm

taken from

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/index.htm

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:22:28 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some
people out there who will enjoy them.

What is the pass mark?

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:22:28 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm

Q.40 Cable couplers should be arranged so that the plug of the coupler is
connected to

1. a circuit protected by a fuse
2. the load site of the circuit
3. a circuit having a circuit protective conductor
4. the supply side of the circuit.

It says that 4 is the correct answer.

Now a plug to me is a male connector. You always refer to the mating
parts, not bits of the connector body when determing the sex of a
connector. Male conectors have pins, which stick out, like those of a 13A
*PLUG*.

No way should that be connected to "the supply side of the circuit".

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth coughed up some electrons that declared:

Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some people
out there who will enjoy them.

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-2.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-3.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-5.htm

taken from

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/index.htm

Adam

Hi Adam,

What the pass mark?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some
people out there who will enjoy them.

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-2.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-3.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-5.htm

taken from

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/index.htm

I take it these are "open book" tests?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:22:28 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm

Q.40 Cable couplers should be arranged so that the plug of the coupler is
connected to

1. a circuit protected by a fuse
2. the load site of the circuit
3. a circuit having a circuit protective conductor
4. the supply side of the circuit.

It says that 4 is the correct answer.

Now a plug to me is a male connector. You always refer to the mating
parts, not bits of the connector body when determing the sex of a
connector. Male conectors have pins, which stick out, like those of a 13A
*PLUG*.

No way should that be connected to "the supply side of the circuit".

I don't understand what they mean by 'connected' either.

Do they mean 'wired to' or 'plugged into'

Ny its very nature a plug in service is connected to upstream and
downstream parts of the circuit.

So my answer in the old pre multiple choice days, would have been to say
'all four, if its to be useful, and safe, depending on the interpreation
of 'connected''

1. Everything should be connected to a circuit protected by a fuse, if
its connected to anything, and needs to work in safety

2. A plug is generally wired to the load side of a circuit, if
wired=='connected'

3. I have no idea what a protective conductor is, but if he means an
earth wire, then in general a mains plug should only be connected to one
of those, yes.

4. Obviously if an appliance with a plug is to do anything useful it has
to be plugged into (connected to) a supply.

Are you sure the question does not have a 'not' in there..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some
people out there who will enjoy them.

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-2.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-3.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-5.htm

taken from

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/index.htm

I take it these are "open book" tests?

They are rote learning tests.

I saw no evidence of any fundamental understanding of electricity or
safety issues pertaining to it in any of the questions I tried.

I mean, does it help knowing the BS**%^&"£=78 is the standard applied to
Caravan parks, and not public urinals??

Ye gods.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher coughed up some electrons that declared:

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some
people out there who will enjoy them.

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-2.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-3.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-5.htm

taken from

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/index.htm

I take it these are "open book" tests?

They are rote learning tests.
I saw no evidence of any fundamental understanding of electricity or
safety issues pertaining to it in any of the questions I tried.

I mean, does it help knowing the BS**%^&"£=78 is the standard applied to
Caravan parks, and not public urinals??

Ye gods.

Reminded me of my PAT tester's C&G - open book and 30% random terminology.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some
people out there who will enjoy them.

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-2.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-3.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-4.htm
http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-5.htm

taken from

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/index.htm

I take it these are "open book" tests?

They are rote learning tests.

I saw no evidence of any fundamental understanding of electricity or
safety issues pertaining to it in any of the questions I tried.

I mean, does it help knowing the BS**%^&"£=78 is the standard applied to
Caravan parks, and not public urinals??

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.

So, can you recall what the pass mark is? 70%?

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Southerwood wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.

So, can you recall what the pass mark is? 70%?

I managed about 73% just by guessing..
Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Southerwood" wrote in message
dennis@home wrote:

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.

So, can you recall what the pass mark is? 70%?

No I don't but I got more than that and I doubt if anything aimed at
electricians requires more.
While they are skilled they are not expected to be rocket scientists which
is why the "regs" tell them how to do things.
If they come across something unusual they either ask someone else or bodge
it. I prefer to think its the former but I do have enough knowledge to check
most of if I need to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-...le-Paper-5.htm

taken from

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/index.htm

Adam

Fcuk me! If that's all that's required, no wonder they need a medieval
guild to protect themselves.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim Southerwood wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.

So, can you recall what the pass mark is? 70%?

I managed about 73% just by guessing..

Exactly my score too, without reference to anything. Which is worrying if
that were a pass. Don't know about you, but I'm happy enough with domestic
electrics in my own house. But there is no way I should be let loose on a
farm or in a factory.

I don't think the sample paper I tried covered nearly enough material and a
1 of 4 answer system encourages educated guesswork. I have a passing
familiarity with the 16th Edition, but at no time have I ever made a
concerted effort to read the whole book, let alone wot for an exam.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Southerwood wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.
So, can you recall what the pass mark is? 70%?

I managed about 73% just by guessing..

Exactly my score too, without reference to anything. Which is worrying if
that were a pass. Don't know about you, but I'm happy enough with domestic
electrics in my own house. But there is no way I should be let loose on a
farm or in a factory.

I don't think the sample paper I tried covered nearly enough material and a
1 of 4 answer system encourages educated guesswork. I have a passing
familiarity with the 16th Edition, but at no time have I ever made a
concerted effort to read the whole book, let alone wot for an exam.

Indeed. My impression was that the examination was a question of reading
and memorising the regulations. Understanding them was not actually
required.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-13, Tim Southerwood wrote:

But there is no way I should be let loose on a
farm or in a factory.

I wouldn't worry about farms. IME, farmers pay no more attention to
the wiring regs than they do to any other laws, IOW none.

LoL

Doesn't seem to stop the Department for the Eradication of Farming and Rural
Affairs from trying though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Huge
writes
On 2007-07-13, Tim Southerwood wrote:

But there is no way I should be let loose on a
farm or in a factory.

I wouldn't worry about farms. IME, farmers pay no more attention to
the wiring regs than they do to any other laws, IOW none.

Ever read the farmers " 'ealth and safety" manual?..

"101 things you can repair or bodge up at harvest time with a length of
baling twine"

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Southerwood wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.
So, can you recall what the pass mark is? 70%?

I managed about 73% just by guessing..

Exactly my score too, without reference to anything. Which is worrying if
that were a pass. Don't know about you, but I'm happy enough with
domestic electrics in my own house. But there is no way I should be let
loose on a farm or in a factory.

I don't think the sample paper I tried covered nearly enough material and
a 1 of 4 answer system encourages educated guesswork. I have a passing
familiarity with the 16th Edition, but at no time have I ever made a
concerted effort to read the whole book, let alone wot for an exam.

Indeed. My impression was that the examination was a question of reading
and memorising the regulations. Understanding them was not actually
required.

I was more impressed by the 2391 exam, not that I got beyond reading the
first page. At least it started with some open answers, which are a lot
more difficult if you haven't a clue. Which I hadn't so I gave up, which is
how it should be.

'course, doesn't lend itself to "cost efficient" automatic grading... Funny
how saving money these days always seems to cost more in intangible ways
down the line...

The 2381 was very similar to my PAT exam (2377-002) which was totally multi
guess AND open book. Got one wrong (which ****ed me off because I cannot
for the life of me work out which one).

The course was worth it though (IET in London) as the combination of the two
old boys, one former sparks and the other an Engineer did make the course
very informative. Mind you, even there, the "practical exam" was a bit half
arsed. The sparks was a very practical sort of bloke with a wealth of
useful tips (reminded me of Fred Dibnah) and the Engineer filled in with
some excellent explanations of why things were written the way they were.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"ARWadsworth" writes:
Sorry if they have been posted before but I am sure there are some people
out there who will enjoy them.

http://www.part-p.org.uk/exams/2381-Sample-Paper-2.htm

I did this one. Wasn't sure if it was open book or not when I
started, so I assumed not. I got 95%. Would have done a bit
better if I'd read the first question correctly before trying
to answer;-). Also realised part way through it must be open book,
but I didn't have book to hand so I had to guess on the external
influence category questions as I don't know those off the top of
my head.

Was very dubious of question 12, and a few others somewhat
suspect too.

Also, most of these questions are well outside the scope of
anything related to Part P work (or any domestic work at all).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:

I managed about 73% just by guessing..

When I did my C&G 16th edition, there were several practicing
electricians on the course who would have got better scores
than they did just by picking answers at random.
Quite frightening really.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Southerwood wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

Don't fret.. I passed and I don't know *anything* about part P regs.
So, can you recall what the pass mark is? 70%?

I managed about 73% just by guessing..

Exactly my score too, without reference to anything. Which is worrying if
that were a pass. Don't know about you, but I'm happy enough with domestic
electrics in my own house. But there is no way I should be let loose on a
farm or in a factory.

I don't think the sample paper I tried covered nearly enough material and a
1 of 4 answer system encourages educated guesswork. I have a passing
familiarity with the 16th Edition, but at no time have I ever made a
concerted effort to read the whole book, let alone wot for an exam.

Indeed. My impression was that the examination was a question of reading
and memorising the regulations. Understanding them was not actually
required.

Given that some of these questions involve choosing precise data values
from tables these assessments are open book.
Therefore reading (and a broad familiarity of the regs) are the only
skills required. Understanding the regs will greatly hinder your
performance.

Part P questions SteveBurr UK diy 8 June 25th 06 10:14 AM
Part P notification questions [email protected] UK diy 1 October 26th 05 07:48 PM
oven gas line install - questions Phil Schuman Home Repair 6 October 10th 05 02:19 AM
Motor Exam Procedure [email protected] Home Repair 0 September 19th 05 03:35 AM
Solar CF Cap Exam-eter NONE Electronics 0 September 4th 04 01:40 PM