Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Colour changing LED's

Hi
Been looking at these http://www.hylite.uk.com/decklights.html

How does an LED light change colour? Would each fitting have LED's of each
colour, or do the LED's themselves change colour?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi
Been looking at these http://www.hylite.uk.com/decklights.html

How does an LED light change colour? Would each fitting have LED's of each
colour, or do the LED's themselves change colour?

The lights will either contain 3 different LEDs, a red, green and blue,
or they will contain a single multi-colour LED, which contains 3
elements within the same LED package.

--
Grunff
Super-bright LED torches
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Hi
Been looking at these http://www.hylite.uk.com/decklights.html

How does an LED light change colour? Would each fitting have LED's of
each colour, or do the LED's themselves change colour?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

No, they would be two or more LEDs in the same package.
You can have a two colour LED with only two wires but
internally it's two back-to back LED's with steering diodes
so the colour depends on the polarity.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grunff wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi
Been looking at these http://www.hylite.uk.com/decklights.html

How does an LED light change colour? Would each fitting have LED's
of each colour, or do the LED's themselves change colour?

The lights will either contain 3 different LEDs, a red, green and
blue, or they will contain a single multi-colour LED, which contains 3
elements within the same LED package.

Thanks. That makes sense now.

Super-bright LED torches
http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211015

I've just ordered one of those :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi Been looking at these http://www.hylite.uk.com/decklights.html

How does an LED light change colour? Would each fitting have LED's of
each colour, or do the LED's themselves change colour?

Usually three colours so the same in principle as a CRT TV screen. If you
have the three sources close enough together they give the impression of a
single colour.

You obviously don't visit discos much these days. ;-)

--
*Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham" wrote in message

snip

No, they would be two or more LEDs in the same package.
You can have a two colour LED with only two wires but
internally it's two back-to back LED's with steering diodes
so the colour depends on the polarity.

AIUI the LEDs, within the common housing, do the 'steering', depending
on which tail is ve+. Also there are tri-colour LEDs which emit their
third colour when supplied with an AC supply rather than DC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Jul 2007 12:54:31 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Been looking at these http://www.hylite.uk.com/decklights.html

How does an LED light change colour? Would each fitting have LED's of each
colour, or do the LED's themselves change colour?

Lights that shine upwards are pretty awful. If you don't mind some
fairly simple construction work a packet of 100 each high intensity
LEDS in red green and blue from one of the many Chinese suppliers on
eBay plus the rather cunning controller from Big Clive (of this
group) at http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/shop.htm will
allow you to do some much better effects at a fraction of the price.

I used this kit plus a length of plastic trunking and a pile of red
green and blue LEDS mounted in triads on a REMAP project
(www.remapsherts.org.uk) to make a 6ft long ceiling light for a child
with severe brain damage who found slowly changing lights to be very
calming but the standard disco lighting kits supplied were too bright
and to hot running to be left on overnight.
--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grunff wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi
Been looking at these http://www.hylite.uk.com/decklights.html

How does an LED light change colour? Would each fitting have LED's
of each colour, or do the LED's themselves change colour?

The lights will either contain 3 different LEDs, a red, green and
blue, or they will contain a single multi-colour LED, which contains 3
elements within the same LED package.

Thanks. That makes sense now.

Super-bright LED torches
http://www.shinyshack.com/product.php?prid=211015

I've just ordered one of those :-)

The most useful torch I ever bought was a head torch a bit like:

http://www.shinyshack.com/product.ph...LED-Head-Torch

(except my one is just on or off - one brightness)

It is amazing how much easier many jobs are when you have a light that
looks where you do and does not need a hand to hold. I find I can rewire
a whole house on about one set of AAA batteries on mine.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:

AIUI the LEDs, within the common housing, do the 'steering', depending
on which tail is ve+. Also there are tri-colour LEDs which emit their
third colour when supplied with an AC supply rather than DC.

No, that is still a bi-colour - the AC just flashes each "side" in quick
alternation allowing the eye to integrate the colours. A true tri-colour
LED has three leads allowing both sides to be lit in parallel.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

AIUI the LEDs, within the common housing, do the 'steering',
depending on which tail is ve+. Also there are tri-colour LEDs
which emit their third colour when supplied with an AC supply
rather than DC.

No, that is still a bi-colour - the AC just flashes each "side" in
quick alternation allowing the eye to integrate the colours. A true
tri-colour LED has three leads allowing both sides to be lit in
parallel.

With respect, that sounds like dancing on the head of a pin...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ews.net,
:Jerry: wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

AIUI the LEDs, within the common housing, do the 'steering',
depending on which tail is ve+. Also there are tri-colour LEDs
which emit their third colour when supplied with an AC supply
rather than DC.

No, that is still a bi-colour - the AC just flashes each "side" in
quick alternation allowing the eye to integrate the colours. A true
tri-colour LED has three leads allowing both sides to be lit in
parallel.

With respect, that sounds like dancing on the head of a pin...

Not really - a true bi-colour will allow any colour between the two
primaries. Or fade between them, etc

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

:Jerry: wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
:Jerry: wrote:

AIUI the LEDs, within the common housing, do the 'steering',
depending on which tail is ve+. Also there are tri-colour LEDs
which emit their third colour when supplied with an AC supply
rather than DC.

No, that is still a bi-colour - the AC just flashes each "side" in
quick alternation allowing the eye to integrate the colours. A true
tri-colour LED has three leads allowing both sides to be lit in
parallel.

With respect, that sounds like dancing on the head of a pin...

What, cramped?

Hardly - they are fundamentally different devices, and require different
control logic. There is no requirement to reverse polarity with a
tri-colour for example, and the light output is continuous rather than
pulsed when displaying colours other than the two native ones.

You need quite clever PWM control circuits to get a bi-colour to do what
can be done easily with a tri-colour.

Bi-colour are more use for positive two state indicators like power /
standby lights etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Red Red is offline

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi Been looking at these http://www.hylite.uk.com/decklights.html

How does an LED light change colour? Would each fitting have LED's of
each colour, or do the LED's themselves change colour?

Usually three colours so the same in principle as a CRT TV screen. If you
have the three sources close enough together they give the impression of a
single colour.

You obviously don't visit discos much these days. ;-)

Disco's!!!! Not been called that for a decade or 2.
Pot and kettle there, me thinks ;o)

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Grunff wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I have a similar thing from Argos, 2 , 4 or 8 LEDS. Wish I'd seen that one
earlier, better spec cheaper!

Very useful for wiring as you say, also plumbing - when you are laying on
your back under a sink! LED torches are great for plumbing, the smallest
drip seems to sparkle - great for spotting that leak.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in news:4690f905$0$8729
:

The most useful torch I ever bought was a head torch a bit like:

http://www.shinyshack.com/product.ph...LED-Head-Torch

(except my one is just on or off - one brightness)

It is amazing how much easier many jobs are when you have a light that
looks where you do and does not need a hand to hold. I find I can rewire
a whole house on about one set of AAA batteries on mine.

Seconded, except I got one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=14&doy=search

It's the mutts; 3 brightness levels and the lowest is much brighter than
any other torch I have - the brightest is scary!

I've had multi led ones before, but this one is _much_ brighter.

mike

LED's in series Norman Electronics 4 July 20th 07 09:36 AM
Blue colour instead of true colour in the monitor - how to fix it? chutney Electronics Repair 0 October 19th 06 02:03 AM
Random LED's Bill Electronics 6 September 12th 06 03:32 AM
decorative concrete wall changing colour James UK diy 0 October 25th 05 05:43 PM
Questions about LED's??? James Duncan Electronics 2 April 5th 04 10:50 AM