Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New external front door

Stained with Coloron wood dye(the proper way to stain wood) however I dont
wish to varnish over it so will waxing the door over a few times protect it
from the weather elments?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 18:40:55 GMT, "George"
wrote:

Stained with Coloron wood dye(the proper way to stain wood) however I dont
wish to varnish over it so will waxing the door over a few times protect it
from the weather elments?

TIA

Yes but it must be done regularly every few months to maintain the
coat of wax. Also wax combines with dust to produce a dirty coat, so
you have to buff it up very regularly. Better to use an oil like teak
oil on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Stained with Coloron wood dye(the proper way to stain wood) however I

dont
wish to varnish over it so will waxing the door over a few times protect

it
from the weather elments?

TIA

Yes but it must be done regularly every few months to maintain the
coat of wax. Also wax combines with dust to produce a dirty coat, so
you have to buff it up very regularly. Better to use an oil lis for

sinking my boat MrPke teak
oil on it.

Thanks for sinking my boat MrP :-P

I had a blonde moment if I did wax it? would mean it cant be painted over in
the future. doh!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-07 19:40:55 +0100, "George" said:

Stained with Coloron wood dye(the proper way to stain wood) however I dont
wish to varnish over it so will waxing the door over a few times protect it
from the weather elments?

TIA

An oil and wax would be better because it will penetrate the wood more
effectively. I personally think that it's a sacrilege to varnish a
good quality hardwood, especially with a gloss varnish - one might as
well have installed PVC. Ergo, I've done the stain, oil, wax
treatment on my oak entrance doors. Initial treatment is three
coats of oil and wax 24hrs apart. Apply with a brush and wipe off
excess after about 10 minutes. Don't flood the wood.

The only minor issue is that it does need attention at least every six
months - in an exposed position to sun or rain, possibly every 4.
The grime should be cleaned off using a cloth dampened in warm
detergent and water and wrung out. Then rinse. Don't be tempted to
use white spirit since that is a solvent for the oil and wax
preparations and will tend to cause the grime to soak into the wood.

Then you can give the door two coats of oil and wax. The whole
exercise can be completed for a door in half an hour, tops, so it's not
a huge burden.

This product is particularly good

http://www.oakdoors.co.uk/_hard_wax_oil_uk.php

I use it for interior oak joinery as well. It's relatively expensive
at around £45 for 5 litres last time I bought some, but it goes a very
long way. That quantity lasts me for 2 years for exterior doors,
interior doors, staircase and floors in two rooms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Stained with Coloron wood dye(the proper way to stain wood) however I

dont
wish to varnish over it so will waxing the door over a few times protect

it
from the weather elments?

TIA

Yes but it must be done regularly every few months to maintain the
coat of wax. Also wax combines with dust to produce a dirty coat, so
you have to buff it up very regularly. Better to use an oil lis for

sinking my boat MrPke teak
oil on it.

Thanks for sinking my boat MrP :-P

I had a blonde moment if I did wax it? would mean it cant be painted over in
the future. doh!

Why ever would you want to paint it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 19:29:48 GMT, "George"
wrote:

Thanks for sinking my boat MrP :-P

I had a blonde moment if I did wax it? would mean it cant be painted over in
the future. doh!

Wash it down with turps/substitute to remove surface wax and use an
oil based paint. But it would be doing a disservice to the door, and
might not take well..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-07-07 19:40:55 +0100, "George" said:

[...]

One wonders what a "natural", "hard wax oil" might consist of, since
hard waxes are all but insoluble at room temperature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do Screwfix sell the exterior door weather strips? I'll be damned if I can
find them on their site.

George

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi,

You may find the Colron dye fades as it's not pigment based.

Maybe best to use oil and see how things go for now, if the door gets
direct sun an oil with UV absorbers would be best.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-07 19:40:55 +0100, "George" said:

[...]

In answer to my own post.......
"Key ingredients in Hardwax Oil include sunflower, soybean and thistle
oil, plus two hard, natural waxes, carnauba and candelilla"

which sounds like a dog's dinner. The oils are non-drying and the
waxes insoluble. I don't think I'd want that particular combination of
natural ingredients on my woodwork

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 17:56:10 +0100, "

Andy Hall wrote:

Then you can give the door two coats of oil and wax. The whole
exercise can be completed for a door in half an hour, tops, so it's not
a huge burden.

This product is particularly good

http://www.oakdoors.co.uk/_hard_wax_oil_uk.php

One wonders what a "natural", "hard wax oil" might consist of, since
hard waxes are all but insoluble at room temperature.

In answer to my own post.......
"Key ingredients in Hardwax Oil include sunflower, soybean and thistle
oil, plus two hard, natural waxes, carnauba and candelilla"

which sounds like a dog's dinner. The oils are non-drying and the
waxes insoluble. I don't think I'd want that particular combination of
natural ingredients on my woodwork

The term actually covers a range of possible preparations. Most
likely, it is carnauba wax in this case. In any event, the waxes
certainly are soluble and they are drying as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 17:56:10 +0100, "

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

"Carnauba wax is typical of the hard waxes that have the highest melting
points among waxes of plant origin. It is soluble in chloroform,ether
and petroleum benzene when hot, but only sparingly soluble when it is cold".
i.e. to all intents and purposes it is insoluble at room temperature.

For wood finishing it's a question of whether the *oils* are of the
"drying" type. At best these are "semi-drying", which means they
solidify to a degree over time, but never fully dry the way tung or
linseed does.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 19:14:43 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-07-09 17:56:10 +0100, "

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

Obviously.

At best these are "semi-drying", which means they solidify to a degree
over time, but never fully dry the way tung or linseed does.

This product also contains linseed oil and turpentine..... It is
certainly drying and does a good job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-09 19:14:43 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-07-09 17:56:10 +0100, "

Andy Hall wrote:

[...]

It doesn't seem to be obvious to the makers of Osmo Polyx Oil (Hardwax
Oil), whose product is based on 3 non-drying oils (and 2 insoluble waxes).
Call me a cynic but I think they forgot to mention "snake" in their list
of ingredients

At best these are "semi-drying", which means they solidify to a degree
over time, but never fully dry the way tung or linseed does.

This product also contains linseed oil and turpentine..... It is
certainly drying and does a good job.

Glazing an external door robgraham UK diy 13 September 20th 06 09:55 PM
External Door Pilasters Norm UK diy 1 July 6th 06 05:51 PM
External pine door - what finish? Peter Lynch Woodworking 5 April 3rd 06 05:15 PM
Just got new external door - what kind of paint do I use on it? Blake Patterson Home Repair 16 February 6th 04 11:03 PM
Making an external door Paul J S Green UK diy 14 July 29th 03 10:46 AM