Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cracks in newly skimmed plaster

Hi,

We had our spare bedroom re-skimmed yesterday. Unfortunately, on
checking the room out this morning to see how the drying was going, we
noticed that the plaster had cracked in long, thin cracks all the way
down 3 or 4 of the metal beadings used on the corners. The cracks
follow the beading almost perfectly in each case. So far, there are no
cracks anywhere else.

The guy was a professional plasterer and we are otherwise pretty
pleased with the job done. I phoned him back and he says he will come
over later to have a look, but he sounded less than willing/happy to
oblige. I'd like to be as well prepared as possible and also am
generally interested in what is likely to have caused this.

Anyone got any ideas/info as to what may have caused this and whether
it's the plasterer's fault or not?

Cheers,

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 3, 10:05 am, Andrew Thelwell wrote:
[...]

I'm not a fan of skimming, I'm sure others will come in and disagree.
We had skimming done on a property and ever since more and more very
fine cracks, like a crazing, have continued to appear.

As for your problem, I'd guess the original wall surface had not been
sealed properly and sucked the water out of the skim coat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As for your problem, I'd guess the original wall surface had not been
sealed properly and sucked the water out of the skim coat.- Hide quoted text -

That's a possibility. We've had a couple of rooms skimmed and each
time the plasterer painted the walls with PVE to prime them before
plastering. No cracks so far anywhere.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 05:22:49 -0700, John
wrote:

As for your problem, I'd guess the original wall surface had not been
sealed properly and sucked the water out of the skim coat.- Hide quoted text -

That's a possibility. We've had a couple of rooms skimmed and each
time the plasterer painted the walls with PVE to prime them before
plastering. No cracks so far anywhere.

John

Same here. Maybe he attached the beading first with plaster but
without using PVA under it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As for your problem, I'd guess the original wall surface had not been
sealed properly and sucked the water out of the skim coat.

That's a possibility. We've had a couple of rooms skimmed and each
time the plasterer painted the walls with PVE to prime them before
plastering. No cracks so far anywhere.

Same here. Maybe he attached the beading first with plaster but
without using PVA under it.

Plaster also cracks when applied too thickly. Maybe the positioning
of the beading was such that the plaster near it has got significantly
thicker.

--
Andrew Gabriel

To tape or not to tap hairline plaster cracks? blueman Home Repair 5 September 12th 05 11:27 PM
fillings plaster cracks [email protected] Home Repair 2 July 15th 05 12:10 AM
cracks in plaster Glen Home Repair 5 June 27th 05 05:12 PM
filling fine cracks in newly skimmed walls DIY Novice UK diy 3 March 15th 05 07:35 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 11:48 AM