Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cowboy builders - again!

My aunty has got a damp problem in her extension, the wallpaper at the
bottom of the wall started to curl up soon after they moved in, they
havent decorated since, as they need other things doing first (like
re-fit all the doors that wont shut, or scrape along the floor).

Anyway, she asks would I go round and see about the skirting board that
is rotting.
I go round, yep, skirting board is rotten, which seems a bit strange for
an extension only around 10 years old. I rip off one piece to get a
sample for the profile. Hmm, somethings not quite right here - it came
off rather easily, and the bottom of the wall was black with mildew.
Scrape back a bit, and the plaster started falling off, though it didnt
quite look like plaster. Peeled off some wallpaper, and it all became
clear - the cowboys who had built it hadnt bothered plastering the
walls, they put up sheets of half inch chipboard FFS.
I showed the mess at the bottom of the wall, and said all of the walls
need stripping down to find where the water is coming in - that is way
too much of a job for me to sort.
My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap
chipboard, and he thinks there is no damp course at all on the extension
- there are certainly no blue bricks above ground level.
The £50 job for me has now turned into a £3000 strip down and plaster,
and remedy some other things.
She is not happy.

So the query - how long after purchase can they go back to their
surveyor and find out if he ballsed up?
I'm not too sure that they had a full survey done though, so doubt they
have any fallback on these extra costs.
Ta
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap
chipboard,

Strange. Chipboard is more expensive than plasterboard.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:12:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap
chipboard,

Strange. Chipboard is more expensive than plasterboard.

Even cheap chipboard?

I think chipboard must be the most environmentally unfriendly stuff in
the whole wide world. There's a large Egger chipboard plant in Hexham,
Northumberland, which seems to have major fires/explosions on a
regular basis - at one time about two a year...

Hexham's a lovely market town, but as you approach it from the east
there's this sprawling 50 acre factory belching out effluvia most
(all?) of the time.

To me, chipboard is purely functional - along with OSB it has no
character. Plywood has a certain "mechanical" charm for those who
appreciate the idea of cross-polarisation of grain, and MDF can
satisfy those that have no time for natural materials...

--
Frank Erskine
MJBC, OETKBC
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:12:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap
chipboard,

Strange. Chipboard is more expensive than plasterboard.

Even cheap chipboard?

I think chipboard must be the most environmentally unfriendly stuff in
the whole wide world. There's a large Egger chipboard plant in Hexham,
Northumberland, which seems to have major fires/explosions on a
regular basis - at one time about two a year...

Yes, and they claim they only expel steam from those chimneys. The steam kind of
lingers around the valley in the summer. Why they don't use it to heat local
houses or fields of greenhouses, I will never know.

-- JJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap
chipboard,

Strange. Chipboard is more expensive than plasterboard.

Maybe there wasn't any plasterboard on the lorry with the loose tailgate
that week :-)

Owain

Actually very cheap and very crap chipboard is often used as packing
material..I ended up with some and used it to make boxing for pipework -
got tiled over.

As such, it is essentially 'free'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap
chipboard,
Strange. Chipboard is more expensive than plasterboard.

Maybe there wasn't any plasterboard on the lorry with the loose
tailgate that week :-)

Actually very cheap and very crap chipboard is often used as packing
material..I ended up with some and used it to make boxing for pipework -
got tiled over.

As such, it is essentially 'free'

True - but sheets large enough to do walls with would be a different
matter.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 30 Jun,
Frank Erskine wrote:

I think chipboard must be the most environmentally unfriendly stuff in
the whole wide world. There's a large Egger chipboard plant in Hexham,
Northumberland, which seems to have major fires/explosions on a
regular basis - at one time about two a year...

It used to regularly activate smoke alarms at a place I worked at several
miles upwind. Nasty site!

Steam will activate some smoke alarms.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
wrote in message ...
On 30 Jun,
Frank Erskine wrote:

I think chipboard must be the most environmentally unfriendly stuff in
the whole wide world. There's a large Egger chipboard plant in Hexham,
Northumberland, which seems to have major fires/explosions on a
regular basis - at one time about two a year...

It used to regularly activate smoke alarms at a place I worked at several
miles upwind. Nasty site!

Steam will activate some smoke alarms.

Certainly will . If the wife doesnt close the bathroom door when
showering 'SCREAM BLEAT HOWL' and dogs 'WUFF WUFF' and 'YAP YAP' and
crashes as the cats take cover(s with them) :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap
chipboard,
Strange. Chipboard is more expensive than plasterboard.

Maybe there wasn't any plasterboard on the lorry with the loose tailgate
that week :-)

Owain

Actually very cheap and very crap chipboard is often used as packing
material..I ended up with some and used it to make boxing for pipework -
got tiled over.

As such, it is essentially 'free'

I made two wall cabinets for my garage workshop out of the larger pieces
of 9mm sheet chipboard I pulled out of the loft when I reboarded it
properly. Painted white and with proper doors (one set moulded mdf, one
frame 'n' panel) they do the necessary for very little (only cheap
hinges iirc).

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:12:50 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
My mate goes round. He rings me - Yes, it has been lined with cheap
chipboard,
Strange. Chipboard is more expensive than plasterboard.

Even cheap chipboard?

I think chipboard must be the most environmentally unfriendly stuff in
the whole wide world. There's a large Egger chipboard plant in Hexham,
Northumberland, which seems to have major fires/explosions on a
regular basis - at one time about two a year...

Yes, and they claim they only expel steam from those chimneys. The steam
kind of lingers around the valley in the summer. Why they don't use it to
heat local houses or fields of greenhouses, I will never know.

Doubtless the costs of replacement after it corroded all the pipes would
put them off that one...

Peter

www.the-brights.net

OT - Montana Cowboy Cliff Metalworking 1 May 5th 06 08:10 PM
Cowboy builders Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt UK diy 10 August 29th 05 02:33 PM
Cowboy builders Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Home Ownership 0 August 23rd 05 07:19 AM
builders Stephen UK diy 3 May 19th 04 05:44 PM
Cowboy Plumbers Keith Lard \(Woof Woof!!\) UK diy 0 December 5th 03 08:38 PM