Steel reinforcing bar for concrete

Old June 18th 07, 11:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steel reinforcing bar for concrete

Does anybody know where one can obtain steel reinforcing bar as used
for concrete (ridged) in 16 or 20mm diameter? I believe these are
standard sizes.

I only need a relatively small quantity - about 4x 2m lengths or equivalent

thanks

..andy

Old June 19th 07, 02:04 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Does anybody know where one can obtain steel reinforcing bar as used for
concrete (ridged) in 16 or 20mm diameter? I believe these are standard
sizes.

I only need a relatively small quantity - about 4x 2m lengths or equivalent

Pretty much any builders merchant like Jewson etc.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old June 19th 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jun, 23:28, Andy Hall wrote:
Does anybody know where one can obtain steel reinforcing bar as used
for concrete (ridged) in 16 or 20mm diameter? I believe these are
standard sizes.

I only need a relatively small quantity - about 4x 2m lengths or equivalent

thanks

.andy

Most builders merchants do it in set sizes, or a specalist
reinforcement (use yellow pages) will make it to size & shape.
10mm is the more standard size in builders merchants, in my
experience.

Rick

Old June 19th 07, 09:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-19 21:43:36 +0100, Rick said:

On 18 Jun, 23:28, Andy Hall wrote:
Does anybody know where one can obtain steel reinforcing bar as used
for concrete (ridged) in 16 or 20mm diameter? I believe these are
standard sizes.

I only need a relatively small quantity - about 4x 2m lengths or equivalent

thanks

.andy

Most builders merchants do it in set sizes, or a specalist
reinforcement (use yellow pages) will make it to size & shape.
10mm is the more standard size in builders merchants, in my
experience.

Rick

Thank you Rick.

I did some phoning of builders' merchants this afternoon - about hafl a
dozen of them. All said that they carry it, but none had stock. One
said that they would have it "in a couple of days" and the rest weren't
sure.

Next stop is steel stockholders and the like to see what they have.

Old June 19th 07, 10:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
AT

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
Does anybody know where one can obtain steel reinforcing bar as used for
concrete (ridged) in 16 or 20mm diameter? I believe these are standard
sizes.

I only need a relatively small quantity - about 4x 2m lengths or
equivalent

thanks

.andy

Your first port of call should be a steel stockholders, look in your Yellow
Pages. Ask them for any offcuts. A steel stockholder should also be able to
cut and bend them to your spec, if required. They're usually flexible on
price so look exasperated when given the first price.

Are you sure you need 16mm or 20mm bars? They also come in 6mm, 8mm, 10mm
and 12mm dia. Larger diameters are also available.

AT

Old June 19th 07, 11:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-19 22:45:10 +0100, "AT" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
Does anybody know where one can obtain steel reinforcing bar as used for
concrete (ridged) in 16 or 20mm diameter? I believe these are standard
sizes.

I only need a relatively small quantity - about 4x 2m lengths or
equivalent

thanks

.andy

Your first port of call should be a steel stockholders, look in your Yellow
Pages. Ask them for any offcuts. A steel stockholder should also be able to
cut and bend them to your spec, if required. They're usually flexible on
price so look exasperated when given the first price.

Yes I've found a few of those. Steel Fabricators turned up a few as well.

Are you sure you need 16mm or 20mm bars? They also come in 6mm, 8mm, 10mm
and 12mm dia. Larger diameters are also available.

Probably 16mm will be the right choice for what I want.

Thanks for the pointers.

Old June 21st 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-19 22:45:10 +0100, "AT" said:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the pointers.- Hide quoted text -

Try this link, you may need to change your town if wrexham is not
where you live.

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAct... h=SEARCH&M=0

Rick