Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC door lock 'broken'....

Hi All
The new studio was fitted with a nice new white UPVC door - standard
'front door' I guess.

The locking mechanism used to engage by closing the door and then
lifting the handle - which shot home three or four bolts on the side
of the door.

Recently there's been a procession of plumbers & etc in & out of this
door.
Now I find that the door mechanism seems to be broken !

The normal spring-loaded door catch seems to be stuck in the retracted
position, and you can't lift the door handle in order to operate the
locking bolts. A quick investigate allowed me to remove the lock
barrel - but this didn't seem to make any difference...

Further investigation seems to involve dismantling the bolt mechanism
recessed in the opening side of the door. Any clues as to where the
problem may lie - or reassurances that I'm not going to end up
releasing a bag full of 'ping****its'...?

Thanks in advance
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

Hi All
The new studio was fitted with a nice new white UPVC door - standard
'front door' I guess.

The locking mechanism used to engage by closing the door and then
lifting the handle - which shot home three or four bolts on the side
of the door.

Recently there's been a procession of plumbers & etc in & out of this
door.
Now I find that the door mechanism seems to be broken !

The normal spring-loaded door catch seems to be stuck in the retracted
position, and you can't lift the door handle in order to operate the
locking bolts.

I am no expert on this, but I would bet that this is your problem. If
the door catch does not come out and latch into the jam, the rest of the
locking system will be unable to work. Look at the door catch and
determine that is central in both vertical and horizontal planes. If
not, pull down on the handle and try to move the latch so that it pops
out when you let go of the handle. They usually climb in the door, When
the handle is pushed down, so that a downwards push on the catch lets it
get back out again.

I have a similar problem on an internal door. When the grandchildren
come up, they pull the handle so far down that this nearly 30 year old
door's catch locks into the door and wont come out to latch it to
fasten. I had to file a chamfer on one corner of the catch.

Another problem with them and number one son is that they tend to pull
up our front door handle when it is open (this is exactly as your faulty
door should work to lock it with the key) and they can't pull the door
to because the latch is locked in an extended position.

A quick investigate allowed me to remove the lock
barrel - but this didn't seem to make any difference...

I doubt that the fault will be there.

Further investigation seems to involve dismantling the bolt mechanism
recessed in the opening side of the door. Any clues as to where the
problem may lie - or reassurances that I'm not going to end up
releasing a bag full of 'ping****its'...?

Before you get to this point, it will be to your advantage to call in
the original installer of the door. If it is the latch getting stuck
inside the door, then it is their problem and they should fix it for
free. Much less cost than trying to find all those ping****ets :-)

I am at the wrong end of a bad day, so I hope you understand all that I
have written

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave
Thanks for the reply

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 23:47:48 +0100, Dave
wrote:

Adrian wrote:

[...]

Yes - in order for the locking mechanism to work it seems that the
hande-operated spring-loaded latch has first to engage with the door
frame.
As the latch is 'stuck' in the retracted position, the lock can't
operate. This also means that the door won't latch by simply pulling
it....

I have a similar problem on an internal door. When the grandchildren
come up, they pull the handle so far down that this nearly 30 year old
door's catch locks into the door and wont come out to latch it to
fasten. I had to file a chamfer on one corner of the catch.

Understood

Another problem with them and number one son is that they tend to pull
up our front door handle when it is open (this is exactly as your faulty
door should work to lock it with the key) and they can't pull the door
to because the latch is locked in an extended position.

Yes - the opposite cause to mine - but the same effect g

A quick investigate allowed me to remove the lock
barrel - but this didn't seem to make any difference...

I doubt that the fault will be there.

I think you're right

Further investigation seems to involve dismantling the bolt mechanism
recessed in the opening side of the door. Any clues as to where the
problem may lie - or reassurances that I'm not going to end up
releasing a bag full of 'ping****its'...?

Before you get to this point, it will be to your advantage to call in
the original installer of the door. If it is the latch getting stuck
inside the door, then it is their problem and they should fix it for
free. Much less cost than trying to find all those ping****ets :-)

Ah well......
The door was a 'ready-made' one - which was put in by the Shedman, who
construted the timber-built studio. If you think it's difficult
geetting hold of tradespeople in the UK (apologies to Mr Handyman !) -
then you ought to try it out here in rural Ireland.

I agree that it's his reponsibility - but I'd like to fix it before
Christmas g - hence the d-i-y approach...

I am at the wrong end of a bad day, so I hope you understand all that I
have written

Perfectly - thanks !
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Adrian wrote:

[...]

Have you tried lubrication in case something has stuck or seized?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI John

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:45:33 GMT, "John"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Adrian wrote:

[...]

No - I haven't... but the door's only been installed for a few months
-
I'd have thought it's not had time to get seized.....

I think I'm going to have to brave the ping****its.... g

To make it more exciting - the wall that the door is fitted in carries
a display of 1" x 3" stained glass samples - and when unsuspecting
people slam the door (expecting it to self-latch) all the glass
rattles and threatens to dive onto the floor - so it's fairly
important to sort the problem...

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 21, 1:51 pm, Adrian wrote:
HI John

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:45:33 GMT, "John"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Adrian wrote:

[...]

Adrian- Hide quoted text -

Has somone locked it in th e'open' position? try putting the key in
and turning it right round in the usual "unlock" direction.

maybe one of the pumbers did this to avoid being locked out.

uPVC Door Lock Wolverine UK diy 3 June 14th 07 11:07 AM
Front door multi-point lock slowly getting harder to lock [email protected] UK diy 2 April 14th 07 10:31 PM
uPVC windows: handle/lock is broken [email protected] UK diy 5 June 10th 05 01:39 AM
Key broken off in Yale patio door lock... How to fix? [email protected] Home Repair 16 May 6th 05 06:06 PM
Changing a Euro cylinder lock in UPVC door Lobster UK diy 8 October 20th 03 09:01 PM