DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Repairing a window sill (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/203744-repairing-window-sill.html)

Dave June 14th 07 06:37 PM

Repairing a window sill

I've got a concrete? window sill that needs painting. The paint is
flaking and there is a small crack. What would be best to fill the
crack and what paint should be used. I would imagine that a normal
exterior paint would still show the rough surface, so is there a paint
that can be applied very thickly that would produce a smooth surface.

Dave

[email protected] June 15th 07 02:24 AM

Repairing a window sill

On 14 Jun, 19:37, (Dave) wrote:
I've got a concrete? window sill that needs painting. The paint is
flaking and there is a small crack. What would be best to fill the
crack and what paint should be used. I would imagine that a normal
exterior paint would still show the rough surface, so is there a paint
that can be applied very thickly that would produce a smooth surface.

Dave

I successfully filled some bad cracks on my window sill, and also the
bay's concrete roof, with a thin slurry of PVA and cement. The
proportions are given on the PVA tin. It's worked wonderfully, even
the section of sill that could be jiggled about is solid as a rock
after 2 or 3 years.

I too have tried in vain to find a thick paint. When I moved in there
was indeed such a surface (or maybe just 120 years of paint!). A
disadvantage was that it was impossible to scrape off what hadn't
lifted by itself so I ended up with a stepped surface.

Chris