Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hearth

i'm putting down tiles to make a hearth ... are there any regulations
that state whether the hearth can the hearth be flush with the floor
or should it be raised. if so how much.

on top of the hearth will be a pellet stove and i have the hearth
dimensions for clearance at the back and sides.

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun, 10:51, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
i'm putting down tiles to make a hearth ... are there any regulations
that state whether the hearth can the hearth be flush with the floor
or should it be raised. if so how much.

on top of the hearth will be a pellet stove and i have the hearth
dimensions for clearance at the back and sides.

thanks

I build a hearth flush with the floor and the BCO never batted an eyelid.

I think the size/materials is what matters, not how high it is.

I can see how height may be relevant, i.e. its easier to push a rug
onto the hearth if it is not raised, etc. The info is in some BS which
was quoted on a fireplace I saw (must be fitted in accordance with BS
xxx) - it can be viewed in the local library. Anyone know the relevant
BS ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

IIRC part J stipulates that there should be some sort of barrier
between the floor and hearth "such as a level change" to discourage
carpets/rugs being lain onto the hearth. I don't think it specifies a
height - and leaves it open to other forms of barrier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:52:05 +0100, AJH wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 02:05:21 -0700, wrote:

i'm putting down tiles to make a hearth ... are there any regulations
that state whether the hearth can the hearth be flush with the floor
or should it be raised. if so how much.

I cannot remember there being any height stipulation, just clearance
distances and provision for combustion air if over 5kW(t).

You'd best check in Part J of the building regulations, they used to
be available as a download on the ODPM site but I think they're in
www.planningportal.gov.uk now.

Did they ever sort out the building regs regarding hearths? The text
(below) was taken from the brochure for my fire, I didn't put one in, which
the installer didn't worry about.

Steve

HEARTHS
You may have noticed that not all products are shown with floor hearths. A
hearth is a safety feature and is described in the Building
Regulations very clearly for traditional fire types. As with most
technological products, regulations take time to ´catch up¡ with
contemporary developments. There are differing views on whether a hearth is
necessary or not in the raised chamber fireplace situation.
The Building Regulations state that under some circumstances a hearth is
not required, while in the same circumstances the CORGI
regulations state that a hearth is required. So, it is for this reason that
some products are shown with hearths and others are not, giving
you an idea of what your set-up may be like. The ultimate arbiter of
whether a hearth is required in your particular circumstances is your
registered CORGI gas fitter, but for the avoidance of doubt we would
recommend that a hearth is fitted.
There are a number of different hearth options shown, some of which are
bespoke. Regulations exist regarding the minimum dimensions
for each fire, so please consult your retailer if you wish to purchase a
bespoke hearth.

hearth VisionSet UK diy 0 January 18th 07 12:35 PM
Fitting hearth Grumps UK diy 2 September 26th 06 11:56 AM
Constructional Hearth Griffo Home Repair 1 February 22nd 06 02:48 PM
Hearth tiles Charlie UK diy 13 August 3rd 05 11:43 AM
doing up old hearth j UK diy 0 September 26th 04 07:42 PM