Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Calor hob

I am ready to go down the route of replacing our electric hob with a gas one
but it would have to be Calor.

Many of the hobs on offer state that they are OK with Calor so I guess there
isn't a problem but if anyone with more experience in these matters wants to
point out possible pitfalls.....

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I am ready to go down the route of replacing our electric hob with a gas one
but it would have to be Calor.

Many of the hobs on offer state that they are OK with Calor so I guess there
isn't a problem but if anyone with more experience in these matters wants to
point out possible pitfalls.....

AFAICR every gas hob I've ever bought has come with a little bag
containing replacement jets to swap in if you're using the bottled
stuff. Never have though!

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Rick

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:57:05 +0100, "R D S" wrote:

I am ready to go down the route of replacing our electric hob with a gas one
but it would have to be Calor.

Many of the hobs on offer state that they are OK with Calor so I guess there
isn't a problem but if anyone with more experience in these matters wants to
point out possible pitfalls.....

In my experience (having installed three or four Calor hobs in various
houses) you need to make sure that the hob is supplied with a set of
Calor jets, in addition to the 'town gas' ones.

You'll need to unscrew the town gas jets and fit the calor jets (the
jets with the largest holes are for the largest burners, and so on).

Having done this - there's an adjustment on each burner (often
accessible by removing the control knobs) that has to be screwed down
or even shut to allow a proper range of adjustment on the control
knob.

No real pitfalls - just make sure you get the right jets _and_ the
correct installation instructions. The house we're currently in had a
new calor hob fitted - but the ratbags at Zanussi technical services
wouldn't tell me where the adjustment was because I 'wasn't
competent'.

Some kind soul on this newsgroup pointed me at the right instructions
- and the adjustment took only seconds !

The other thing that may be worthwhile is to fit an automatic
changeover valve and two cylinders. This means that you get an
nearly-instant changeover when one cylinder empties - but the downside
is that you may not notice you've emptied the cylinder until the
second one runs dry..... In any case - we've always found that the
47kg cylinders we used for gas hob and oven lasted ages - typically
18months - so using just the one cylinder may not be a big problem for
you.

Good luck
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

Nice one, thanks a lot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:09:42 +0100, Adrian wrote:

In any case - we've always found that the 47kg cylinders we used for gas
hob and oven lasted ages - typically 18months - so using just the one
cylinder may not be a big problem for you.

Sods Law states the single cylinder will run out half way through cooking
a special Sunday lunch... Have the auto change over valve and just check
to see if it has swapped over once a week when checking your oil level.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Huge

On 2007-06-10, Adrian wrote:
HI Rick

[...]

It's down a hole drilled in the shaft of the control knobs, as you
doubtless know. There's a tiny screw at the bottom that has to be tightened
up.

Ah well g

In the last-but-one hob it was a screw down the centre of the knob -
but in this current house they'd hidden the screws just to one side of
the control shaft. Sneaky !

The only problem I had with my new Zanussi hob was making this adjustment,
since I didn't have a screwdriver both long and narrow enough to fit down
the hole. I ended up making one from a piece of wire coathanger.

Had just the same problem in last-but-one house.
Ended up grinding a flat 'blade' onto the end of a thin
allen key (brutal but effective !)

Doesn't require any torque - the screws just need to be gently
seated...

Regards
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:57:05 +0100, R D S wrote:

I am ready to go down the route of replacing our electric hob with a gas one
but it would have to be Calor.

By law whoever installs it must be 'competent' to do so (as for
natural gas). As LPG is denser than air and escaped gas can find its way
down drains or underfloor voids and build up into explosive mixtures
there's a fairly real danger involved, apart from the normal
lack-of-ventilation = Carbon Monoxide hazards to look out for,

--
John Stumbles

A backstreet vasectomy left me sterile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I am ready to go down the route of replacing our electric hob with a gas
one but it would have to be Calor.

Many of the hobs on offer state that they are OK with Calor so I guess
there isn't a problem but if anyone with more experience in these matters
wants to point out possible pitfalls.....

Rick

We've found that retailers recoil in horror when questioned about bottled
gas so we would be interested in your final decision.

There are two different gases used as bottled or LPG ( Liquid Petrolium
Gas). Both are in the same chemical family as methane. Butane (C4H10) in
blue bottles or propane (C3H8) in orange.
Either can be used with the appropriate regulator but butane can't be used
from bottles stored outside as it does not flow at low temperatures
(freezing?).
Butane has a push in regulator released with a button or knob on the side. I
break all recommendations and turn the bottle upside-down and tap the end to
tip out bits of dirt before connecting it, otherwise it leaks. Propane
regulators are different (left handed screw fitting??)

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil B" wrote in message

We've found that retailers recoil in horror when questioned about bottled
gas so we would be interested in your final decision.

There are two different gases used as bottled or LPG ( Liquid Petrolium
Gas). Both are in the same chemical family as methane. Butane (C4H10)
in blue bottles or propane (C3H8) in orange.
Either can be used with the appropriate regulator but butane can't be used
from bottles stored outside as it does not flow at low temperatures
(freezing?).
Butane has a push in regulator released with a button or knob on the side.
I break all recommendations and turn the bottle upside-down and tap the
end to tip out bits of dirt before connecting it, otherwise it leaks.
Propane regulators are different (left handed screw fitting??)

I think most people use propane - I've had sufficient experience of pouring
hot water on butane cylinders in winter to know that there's really no point
in using it when propane works just fine, and indeed is probably easier to
find. Yes, the cylinders are LH threaded. There's a sort of bullet-shaped
thing on the end of the pipe which forms the seal. The bottle has a tap on
it - you don't connect directly to the top of the cylinder. They come with
plastic plugs in from our retailer, so don't get a chance to get muck in
them - and the connector is somewhat bigger than your typical camping gaz
cylinder.

And yes, get a auto-changeover regulator.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Adrian contains these words:

The other thing that may be worthwhile is to fit an automatic
changeover valve and two cylinders. This means that you get an
nearly-instant changeover when one cylinder empties - but the downside
is that you may not notice you've emptied the cylinder until the
second one runs dry..... In any case - we've always found that the
47kg cylinders we used for gas hob and oven lasted ages - typically
18months - so using just the one cylinder may not be a big problem for
you.

You could try the halfway approach by having 2 bottles on a suitably
valved manifold. It won't stop the problem of the gas running out
halfway through the Sunday roast but if you buy a new cylinder when one
runs out the discomfort will be shortlived.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Phil B" contains these words:

Butane has a push in regulator released with a button or knob on the
side. I
break all recommendations and turn the bottle upside-down and tap the
end to
tip out bits of dirt before connecting it, otherwise it leaks. Propane
regulators are different (left handed screw fitting??)

When the world was young (or I was anyway) all Calor (grey butane)
bottles had threaded connectors rather than those nasty push-fits. Some
of the small bottles still do and they have a left hand thread. The rise
in popularity of Propane might have driven the change to push-fit on
Butane bottles in which case my camping burner may become unusable
without more modification than it is worth. 50 years old and not in the
best of health. {That's the burner, not me.:-)}.

--
Roger Chapman

Vaillant Turbomax on Calor John UK diy 9 September 29th 06 08:38 PM
old calor bottle :::Jerry:::: UK diy 9 January 27th 05 02:23 AM
Calor gas cooker David Cawkwell UK diy 1 January 16th 05 10:43 PM
Oil or Calor gas heating Alex UK diy 13 November 13th 03 12:25 AM
hob SCAREY-B.HERE-ON-THE.NET UK diy 2 October 25th 03 01:27 AM