Fridge freezer door seal repair advice please

Old June 6th 07, 03:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge freezer door seal repair advice please

Dear All,

Does anyone know what refrigerator door seals might be made of?

I know they have a magnetic insert. Is the actual seal PVC perhaps?

I have read you can extend their life by smearing with vaseline

I am trying to extend the life of our dated (possibly 1980s, it has
chrome trimmed, brown inner circular recessed door handles) Hotpoint
Iced Diamond fridge freezer.

The seals are damaged so I was going to fit some more modern ones I
acquired at our local tip however they are a different size so will
need cutting down and gluing.

Otherwise does anyone know of a source for such items. I cannot find
the model number on the unit itself.

The case is 20.75" wide by 55.5" tall by 20" deep if that helps with
model identification.

Many thanks,

Nick

Old June 7th 07, 10:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that.

I've tried looking everywhere for a model number without success. It
probably has worn off as you say. I can't find one on the rear.

I may well try the people that you suggest.

Does anybody know if the seals are PVC?

Thanks,

Nick

Old June 8th 07, 02:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I looked inside again and you were quite right.

The label is rather tatty and hidden behind the salad tray.

This should help in spares locations a great deal.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Old June 8th 07, 04:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 8, 2:14 pm, wrote:
I looked inside again and you were quite right.

The label is rather tatty and hidden behind the salad tray.

This should help in spares locations a great deal.

Thanks for your help.

Nick

Hi,

If it's just cosmetic damage, sometimes the seal can be turned 180
top to bottom so the damage is hidden.

cheers,
Pete.

Old June 12th 07, 11:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for that, the damage is a bit more terminal than that though,
causing water leakage.

I'm hoping to splice a reclaimed seal assuming it is PVC and I can
glue it.

I've seen universal seals however I don't know if they will work with
our fridge as the seal is sandwiched between door and inner.

http://www.spares2go.co.uk/browse/UN.../p11/s7144.htm

Does anyone have any experience of these?

Regards,

Nick

Fridge freezer repair book information Martin UK diy 2 May 1st 06 04:59 PM
Freezer door seal Geoffrey UK diy 13 October 9th 05 10:58 PM
fixing seal on fridge/freezer? Jon UK diy 8 August 10th 05 11:18 AM
Hotpoint Fridge door seal Lawrence Zarb UK diy 2 May 18th 05 04:20 PM
fridge freezer brand advice vilm UK diy 4 July 15th 03 05:14 PM