Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Leak from washing machine; coming from hole in drum casing; photos!

Hi all

I have an 7-8 year old Indesit washer / dryer. On Saturday, on
filling for a washing cycle, it started to leak, from the underside of
the machine.

Further investigation revealed it was coming from a hole in the drum
casing, photos of which are available he

http://projectbrown.org/photo_gallery.aspx

The questions:

1: The hole doesn't look like it has been caused by accidental damage;
what's it for? Is it an overflow or similar?

2: Is it repairable by sealing the hole (mastic, then a patch on top)?

3: If it needs a professional repair, what's it going to cost?
(Bearing in mind it's 7-8 years old).....

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,

Keith.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jun, 22:07, Keith wrote:
Hi all

I have an 7-8 year old Indesit washer / dryer. On Saturday, on
filling for a washing cycle, it started to leak, from the underside of
the machine.

Further investigation revealed it was coming from a hole in the drum
casing, photos of which are available he

http://projectbrown.org/photo_gallery.aspx

The questions:

1: The hole doesn't look like it has been caused by accidental damage;
what's it for? Is it an overflow or similar?

2: Is it repairable by sealing the hole (mastic, then a patch on top)?

3: If it needs a professional repair, what's it going to cost?
(Bearing in mind it's 7-8 years old).....

Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers,

Keith.

This looks like a rust hole, probably caused by damage to the enamel
from inside. I don't think there is any professional repair possibe,
except a replacement tub, which would be expensive, and not worth
while unless you can do this yourself... You could try patching
the hole, epoxy paste, sealant and a pop rivet or a pop riveted
patch (the sealed type pop rivet used on boats), or some metal type
filler etc. Hope this helps.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
John writes:
On 11 Jun, 22:07, Keith wrote:
[...]

I can't make out anything in the picture. However, some 20+
years ago when I had an old Hoover washing machine, this
suffered rusting through the drum this way. I repaired it
with an Isopon car body repair kit, and sprayed the area
inside the drum with pure zinc paint to delay it happening
again. I think I did this perhaps 2 or 3 times at about 2
year intervals and kept the washing machine going.

In my case, this was at the bottom of the drum where water
was left standing. If it's near any structural part such
as a mounting bracket, I suspect any such repair would
very quickly fail.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jun, 09:25, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article . com,
John writes:
On 11 Jun, 22:07, Keith wrote:

[...]

The other possible for holes generally is a stiff sheet steel patch,
with a rubber gasket, clamped in place using banding around the drum.

There are also pipe leak sealing epoxies which would presumably be
stronger than car filler.

Inside, rust can usually be removed with a die grinder and some paint
or underseal used to delay re-rusting. But it will usually rust, as
most paints pinhole. A coat of epoxy or grp resin may be more
effective.

With epoxies, some turn to putty at boiling point, so you need high
temp epoxy.

NT