Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default non electrical (ie manual hand turn) 3 way 3 port valve for central heating hot water

Hi
I have an old central heating system (I guess at least 20 years).
The selection of Hot Water (only), Central Heating (only) or Hot Water
plus Central heating is manually controlled by (hand) via a circular
shaped brass value

The valve 'control' is fronted by a blue plastic dial that rotates
360 degrees, and has the above selection written in white lettering
upon it.

The valve is/was made by Switchmaster. (I have a picture if anyones
interested)

The valve may have developed an internal leak or broken it's seal -
When Hot Water only is selected, some water is diverted to Central
Heating - meaning the rads are warming up unnecessarily.

can anyone advise either where

* could I get a replacement for the Switchmaster

* Is there another form of 3 way valve I could use - it doesnt have to
be elegant - as this is all locked away in a cupboard - I've done the
usual google searches but had no luck so far

Kind regards
Carl

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:34:44 -0700, cjayd34 wrote:

[...]

Replace the valve with a standard (mid position Honeywell or Horstmann
unit) Rewire controls as per Main FAQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Jun, 17:34, wrote:

[...]

The other option i to use a standard 3 port valve & remove the
electrical actuator. Stick on a bit of handle if needed.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-05 00:15:56 +0100, said:

On 4 Jun, 17:34, wrote:

[...]

This seems a bit like the farmer in Co. Kerry who used to take his wife
to church on the horse and cart every Sunday. As she grew older,
she found this less appealing and wanted him to get a car. However,
being a traditionalist, he wasn't having any of it. In the end, he
caved in and compromised. A car was purchased. However, the engine
was taken out and suitable fittings attached to the front so that he
could hitch it up to the horse and continue to ride that while towing
the car with his wife inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-05 00:15:56 +0100, said:
On 4 Jun, 17:34, wrote:

[...]

A witty comparison, if not really comparable. Its the OP's decision
which he wants.

NT