Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Staircase (New)

If you have a contract that specifies solid pine - yes I would dispute
the bill with the company concerened.

Decide what you most want from them - is it a bill discount? Is it
remedial work such as putting pine facings on the risers (I'm assuming
it's the risers that are mdf). Is it other work to compensate for the
difference between what you specified and what you got? Most companies
would be more willing to provide remedial work than a discount.

A possible reason is the rising price of pine - 25% in the last 5
months at my local timber merchant. As far as shortcomings of mdf - it
would be wrecked on serious water exposure (e.g. a flood) - whilst
pine would survive, and it won't take an attractive bare wood finish
as pine would, nor can scrapes and gouges over the years be sanded out
in the same way. But under carpet and in normal use, there's no real
difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
oups.com...
If you have a contract that specifies solid pine - yes I would dispute
the bill with the company concerened.

Decide what you most want from them - is it a bill discount? Is it
remedial work such as putting pine facings on the risers (I'm assuming
it's the risers that are mdf). Is it other work to compensate for the
difference between what you specified and what you got? Most companies
would be more willing to provide remedial work than a discount.

Its the steps, the back upright part is plywood and the side (stringers?)
are pine.
Unfortunalty, time is against me, its half term, the kids are away and the
house is without walls and safe walking areas at present
Another staircase made would take another 3 weeks so to change it really is
not an option anymore.
the quote stated supply and fit stairs. I phoned and he agreed they would be
pine before we gave him the job.
He's says he forgot, which is possible. I dont think he is trying to pull a
fast one.
So, can I protect the MDF with anything? they are already dented and
scratched on the treads where the surrounding work
is going on.
--
Vass

Staircase (New) Vass UK diy 13 June 1st 07 10:44 PM
Help Building a Staircase Hoosierpopi Woodworking 8 January 1st 07 11:11 PM
Spiral staircase Chris Home Repair 3 August 1st 06 07:57 PM
800mm Staircase [email protected] UK diy 5 February 2nd 06 02:11 PM
Staircase into Loft mark blackall UK diy 9 October 22nd 05 03:40 PM