mortise lock - no key

Old May 22nd 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mortise lock - no key

I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before. I would really have
to damage the door to get the lock out. What is a reasonable price for
a locksmith to pick it ? I don't want it re-keyed, just opened.
Thanks,
Simon.

Old May 22nd 07, 02:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 13:07, sm_jamieson wrote:
I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before.

Saw through the bolt with a piece of hacksaw blade (Multimasters are
excellent at this). If it's an old lock, then the bolt will just be
soft solid brass.

If it's a rim lock rather than a mortice lock, destroy the case --
they're hardly rare. If you're already inside, you can usually
unfasten them from without damage.

Open the lock with a skeleton key. You'll probably find this easier
(even if you have to make your own skeletons) than trying to pick an
old, unused and probably stiff mortice lock with a pick. '30s domestic
locks rarely have sophisticated wards.

Phone around for locksmiths and get a price. It's just your basic
callout fee (and a couple of minutes), but that could be anything if
you live somewhere rural or the affluent SE. 45 quid locally.

Old May 22nd 07, 03:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 13:07, sm_jamieson wrote:
I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before. I would really have
to damage the door to get the lock out. What is a reasonable price for
a locksmith to pick it ? I don't want it re-keyed, just opened.
Thanks,
Simon.

I'd guess 50 minimum. Why not phone one and ask? He'd probably have a
mega set of keys and undo it in seconds.

cheers
Jacob

Old May 22nd 07, 06:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before. I would really have
to damage the door to get the lock out. What is a reasonable price for
a locksmith to pick it ? I don't want it re-keyed, just opened.
Thanks,
Simon.

Use a 100mm or 115 mm angle grinder with a 3mm metal cutting blade access
between door and frame from inside

Have used this method where lock went faulty and key would not work
It was a new lock with the anti cut rollers in the bolt but worked a treat
so should be easy on such an old one

Tony

Old May 22nd 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before. I would really have
to damage the door to get the lock out. What is a reasonable price for
a locksmith to pick it ? I don't want it re-keyed, just opened.
Thanks,
Simon.

Use a 100mm or 115 mm angle grinder with a 3mm metal cutting blade access
between door and frame from inside

Have used this method where lock went faulty and key would not work
It was a new lock with the anti cut rollers in the bolt but worked a treat
so should be easy on such an old one

There are also 1mm cutting disks available if space is at a premium.

Old May 22nd 07, 07:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before. I would really have
to damage the door to get the lock out. What is a reasonable price for
a locksmith to pick it ? I don't want it re-keyed, just opened.
Thanks,
Simon.

Skeleton key shaped like an upside down letter T in the working end will
probably do it. Boot fair for one that should fit and file to shape.

Old May 22nd 07, 07:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 May, 13:07, sm_jamieson wrote:
I have a door with mortise lock and no key. Probably the original lock
from 1930s. Never needed to open that door before. I would really have
to damage the door to get the lock out. What is a reasonable price for
a locksmith to pick it ? I don't want it re-keyed, just opened.
Thanks,
Simon.

Don't know, however, have you thought about getting the door open by
attcking the jamb (so as to free the mortice), then you can take the
lock out (if that is your hearts desire).