Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dremmel Grout Removal Kit

Hi

Anyone used one of these? Is it reasonably quick or will it take ages per
tile - application is a whole half tiled bathroom.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-19 22:43:16 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi

Anyone used one of these? Is it reasonably quick or will it take ages per
tile - application is a whole half tiled bathroom.

Reasonable but slow.

The Fein Multimaster does it far better and far quicker.

No handyman should be without one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-19 22:43:16 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi

Anyone used one of these? Is it reasonably quick or will it take
ages per tile - application is a whole half tiled bathroom.

Reasonable but slow.

The Fein Multimaster does it far better and far quicker.

No handyman should be without one.

Thought of that, but read a very bad review about the durability of the
blades - like not lasting more than two or three tiles and being bloody
expensive.

I could well do with a multimaster but I'll wait untill competition forces
them into 'real world' pricing.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 May, 22:43, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Hi

Anyone used one of these? Is it reasonably quick or will it take ages per
tile - application is a whole half tiled bathroom.

By hand it takes me 10 seconds per 1 side of a 4" tile - I cant
imagine how a delicate die grinder tool could equal that for speed.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-19 23:02:44 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2007-05-19 22:43:16 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi

Anyone used one of these? Is it reasonably quick or will it take
ages per tile - application is a whole half tiled bathroom.

Reasonable but slow.

The Fein Multimaster does it far better and far quicker.

No handyman should be without one.

Thought of that, but read a very bad review about the durability of the
blades - like not lasting more than two or three tiles and being bloody
expensive.

Well........ I've done half a bathroom with mine, floor to ceiling,
two blades....

I could well do with a multimaster but I'll wait untill competition forces
them into 'real world' pricing.

For the versatility and effectiveness, they have real world pricing.

As far as competition goes, I am not sure. I think that you could wait
a long time.

A search on any of the patent web sites shows that Fein is prolific
with the filing of patent applications and having them granted. One
only goes to that much trouble if one is willing to defend same.

Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/2cuwwg

Where there are 37 patents relating to the technology used in the
oscillating tools.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

Well........ I've done half a bathroom with mine, floor to ceiling,
two blades....

Shortly to embark on a similar renovation. What blade dis you use,
carbide segment saw?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2007 23:02:44 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
mused:

On 2007-05-19 22:43:16 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Hi

Anyone used one of these? Is it reasonably quick or will it take
ages per tile - application is a whole half tiled bathroom.

Reasonable but slow.

The Fein Multimaster does it far better and far quicker.

No handyman should be without one.

Thought of that, but read a very bad review about the durability of the
blades - like not lasting more than two or three tiles and being bloody
expensive.

The blade I use for raking grout out came with the machine and I've
regrouted 3 bathrooms with it so far.

I could well do with a multimaster but I'll wait untill competition forces
them into 'real world' pricing.

Price is ireelevant, you either need it or you don't, and as we're
talking about the Fein Multimaster, everyone needs one.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2007 01:21:01 +0100, Lurch
wrote:

Fein Multimaster

Just had a look at their web-site - "a damn good read"

http://www.feinmultimaster.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-20 01:13:09 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

Well........ I've done half a bathroom with mine, floor to ceiling,
two blades....

Shortly to embark on a similar renovation. What blade dis you use,
carbide segment saw?

Yes, for the first one. That did wear out just over half way through
and I replaced it with a diamond one. That still has quite a bit of
life left in it.

On Fein's web site (start from the German one), there is a video
showing revoval of grout between floor tiles for a replacement of a
tile and wall tiles for cleanup as TMH is wanting to do. This gives
an idea of how fast it cuts as well - a good deal faster than a Dremel
and I have tried it with that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Fein Multimaster

Just had a look at their web-site - "a damn good read"

http://www.feinmultimaster.co.uk/

That's actually one of their UK distributor's sites.

The manufacturer's one has some more content on it and some usage videos.

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/uk/en/main/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2007 09:23:26 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

wrote:

Fein Multimaster

Just had a look at their web-site - "a damn good read"

http://www.feinmultimaster.co.uk/

That's actually one of their UK distributor's sites.

The manufacturer's one has some more content on it and some usage videos.

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/uk/en/main/

Hmm, didn't know there was a new quick fit doobrie on the new ones,
I've gone of mine now.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Fein Multimaster

Just had a look at their web-site - "a damn good read"

http://www.feinmultimaster.co.uk/

That's actually one of their UK distributor's sites.

The manufacturer's one has some more content on it and some usage videos.

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/uk/en/main/

Hmm, didn't know there was a new quick fit doobrie on the new ones,
I've gone of mine now.

Mmm... nice isn't it.

Having said that, I don't find myself having to switch back and forth
between attachments so frequently that it becomes annoying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 May 2007 18:21:06 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

wrote:

Fein Multimaster

Just had a look at their web-site - "a damn good read"

http://www.feinmultimaster.co.uk/

That's actually one of their UK distributor's sites.

The manufacturer's one has some more content on it and some usage videos.

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/uk/en/main/

Hmm, didn't know there was a new quick fit doobrie on the new ones,
I've gone of mine now.

Mmm... nice isn't it.

Having said that, I don't find myself having to switch back and forth
between attachments so frequently that it becomes annoying.

No, I tend to only end up using 1 or maybe 2 attachments each time it
comes out of the case. I did think that the allen key bolts would soon
cam out but after having mine for around 3 years none of them have
shown any signs of camming\slipping etc...
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi

Anyone used one of these? Is it reasonably quick or will it take ages per
tile - application is a whole half tiled bathroom.

By hand it takes me 10 seconds per 1 side of a 4" tile - I cant
imagine how a delicate die grinder tool could equal that for speed.

NT

are you suing toothpaste instead of proper grout?

Just a matter of technique. Why everyone goes for those grout saw
things I dont know. All it takes is a bradawl: hold it at 90 degrees,
not slanted, press hard enough to start doing damage, whip it fast
back and forth across the grout line a few times and it just
disintegrates under the point pressure. Done.

Note this has nothing to do with a 'picking' action, which is
completely the wrong approach, but is what people always do if given a
bradawl to remove grout.

Its just a question of using the right force: enough force and on a
bradawl tip the pressure is high enough to break down the grout.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-20 18:41:51 +0100, Lurch said:

On Sun, 20 May 2007 18:21:06 +0100, Andy Hall
mused:

The manufacturer's one has some more content on it and some usage videos.

http://www.fein.de/fein-multimaster/uk/en/main/

Hmm, didn't know there was a new quick fit doobrie on the new ones,
I've gone of mine now.

Mmm... nice isn't it.

Having said that, I don't find myself having to switch back and forth
between attachments so frequently that it becomes annoying.

No, I tend to only end up using 1 or maybe 2 attachments each time it
comes out of the case. I did think that the allen key bolts would soon
cam out but after having mine for around 3 years none of them have
shown any signs of camming\slipping etc...

Yes, I thought the same, but no problems at all.

I'm very picky about tools but on this one I can honestly say that
there is nothing that I would really criticise. It would be helpful
if the dust extraction for sanding were better, but that is a
limitation of any sander with holes in the paper for extraction.
OTOH. it does seem that the oscillating action, with the tiny amount of
movement doesn't result in as much dust being kicked out as in the case
of conventional sanders, so I have never found dust to be a big
problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

I'm very picky about tools but on this one I can honestly say that there
is nothing that I would really criticise. It would be helpful if the
dust extraction for sanding were better, but that is a limitation of any
sander with holes in the paper for extraction. OTOH. it does seem
that the oscillating action, with the tiny amount of movement doesn't
result in as much dust being kicked out as in the case of conventional
sanders, so I have never found dust to be a big problem.

I have noticed that if you use it to finish of dry lining filler with a
coarse paper, the dust just pours off the sanding point and falls to the
floor without much getting airborne at all which is quite nice. The rate
of removal is also surprisingly high.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-20 20:39:15 +0100, John Rumm said:

Andy Hall wrote:

I'm very picky about tools but on this one I can honestly say that
there is nothing that I would really criticise. It would be helpful
if the dust extraction for sanding were better, but that is a
limitation of any sander with holes in the paper for extraction.
OTOH. it does seem that the oscillating action, with the tiny amount of
movement doesn't result in as much dust being kicked out as in the case
of conventional sanders, so I have never found dust to be a big problem.

I have noticed that if you use it to finish of dry lining filler with a
coarse paper, the dust just pours off the sanding point and falls to
the floor without much getting airborne at all which is quite nice. The
rate of removal is also surprisingly high.

Mmm.. just what I've been doing today, and yes cleanup is not too bad at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2007 22:43:16 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Anyone used one of these? Is it reasonably quick or will it take ages per
tile - application is a whole half tiled bathroom.

Yes, but not for grout removal. It makes a great little mini-router for
inlay work in cabinetry. OTOH, Axminster sell their similar gadget more
cheaply.

It's not much use for grout removal. A vertical rod cutter just doesn't
cut quickly enough, can't shift the powdery grout out of the way fast
enough and is also too likely to wander and nick a tile. A lengthways
tool can work much faster, just because it has better access. Personally
I use a couple of different widths of power hacksaw blade epoxied into
wooden handles

A Multimaster shifts grout pretty well, but it's expensive overkill.
OTOH, the first time you have to saw a broken tile out, or hut ahole
for an extra pipe in situ, then a Multimaster can pay for itself. .

Excess grout removal - stone jo_jo Home Repair 4 April 5th 07 03:46 PM
London - from Argos - home haircut kit - £30 - Remington Salon Professional Ceramic Hair Cut Kit HC363. [email protected] UK diy 7 July 13th 06 01:04 AM
Grout Removal Stuart Benoff Home Repair 10 February 12th 06 11:03 PM
Dremmel tool KTECH Home Repair 14 December 6th 05 12:43 AM
does grout sealer make grout waterproof? bob Home Repair 3 October 20th 05 03:53 AM