Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ideas for 16 meter long arms...

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a
branch and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a
prototype for a new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air rifle..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a
branch and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a
prototype for a new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air

rifle..

Know any fishing blokes?
A roach pole? i'm sure these are very long

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 00:05:11 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
mused:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yr6gxz
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Mar, 00:05, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

IB rescuers-of-maidens-from-castles used a light thread to pull over
increasingly thick ones.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a
branch and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a
prototype for a new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air rifle..

Kite? Helium balloon (blagged from kids' party)?

We await upcoming thread on how to get kite/helium balloon out of
poplar :-))

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

Do you need the line attached - wouldn't a heavy, accurately-placed
arrow knock the plane out?

Or - don't you have an RC helicopter and grappling hook in your
collection? ;-)

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a
branch and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a
prototype for a new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air rifle..

Model helicopter with a skyhook attached;?.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lurch
writes
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 00:05:11 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
mused:

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a
branch and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a
prototype for a new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air rifle..

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yr6gxz

Scary!, Could have done with one of those recently.. Not the one that
does 72 metres tho!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a
branch and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a
prototype for a new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air

rifle..

Know any fishing blokes?
A roach pole? i'm sure these are very long

Fishing poles taper too thinly at the top. Longer, thicker poles are
available, at a price: http://tinyurl.com/37xx9h

But 16m of any kind of pole will very hard to 'steer' from ground level,
and quite dangerous if you lose control of it.

Of course, you do have the option to ignore and forget about...
Plane? Tree? What tree?

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

I have some extending ladders that would get you more than halfway:-)

Alternatively, employ a small boy.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment
trying to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature
poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

Do you need the line attached - wouldn't a heavy, accurately-placed
arrow knock the plane out?

It would, but I am not that accurate. The toy bow I have will take a
monofilament up there, but teh arrow isn't heavy enough to pull it down.

Or - don't you have an RC helicopter and grappling hook in your
collection? ;-)

Nope.
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment
trying to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature
poplar tree.

I have some extending ladders that would get you more than halfway:-)

Alternatively, employ a small boy.

Too dangerous.

Poplars shed branches at the slightest provocation.

I may have to try the old spanner and string trick, but this one is
high..I NEARLY cleared the top..

regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying to
get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't get
the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a branch
and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a prototype for a
new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air
rifle..

2 of these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...14843&ts=58907

Or can't you just attach something heavy to a rope and throw that up and
over the tree.
If the branches are falling off of their own accord, it wouldn't take much
to break a few branches off with the rope (Cue the environmentalists)

Or hire a ladder large enough to use to knock it down as opposed to climb it
http://www.hss.com/g/85637/Double_Ladder_6_0_11_0m.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying to
get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't get
the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a branch
and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a prototype for a
new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air
rifle..

Make a propane/lighter fuel gun using some 3inch pipe.
You should be able to fire a ball with some string attached.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying to
get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

I have some extending ladders that would get you more than halfway:-)

Alternatively, employ a small boy.

The dodgy word is _employ_: you'll need to have carried out a risk
assesment'; ensure that the employment does not breach the Working Time
Directive; obtained permsiion of the Local Education Authority to emply said
_small boy_; not employ said yoof beyond Saturday noon ....
[You could just buy a replacement aircraft] .... etc. etc.

--

Brian

regards
--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying to
get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Chainsaw ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

My first thought was drain rods... but you could also try the much
lighter version:

Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a branch
and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a prototype for a
new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

If you chop the tree down first you should be able to easily reach it
un-assisted or in worse case a small step ladder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment
trying to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature
poplar tree.

My first thought was drain rods... but you could also try the much
lighter version:

As expensive as a new battery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

Almost a possibility.

I think it will have to be string and a weight..

I can't get a platform that will do 50 feet cheaply or easily. And I
suspect it may be higher.

Its not climbable.

Its not mine to cut down.

I don't have any suitable kites, helicopters or balloons.

It's beyond ladders.

It's either a very wobbly pole and poke, or a string and a weight. I
would get some chimney sweep stuff, but that beyond the reach of those
more or less.

I think time has almost run out as well. the battery may well be toast
already. No wind is forecast for DAYS.

If I can't cobble something together from what I have today, I might as
well wait for nature to take its course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If I can't cobble something together from what I have today, I might as
well wait for nature to take its course.

What are you doing flying models anyway.. they contribute to global warming.
;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 00:05:11 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying to
get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't get
the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a branch
and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a prototype for a
new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air
rifle..

===============================
Ask the local Fire Service - they seem to spend most of their time
rescuing cats from tall trees.

Cic.

--
================================
Testing UBUNTU Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It's either a very wobbly pole and poke, or a string and a weight. I
would get some chimney sweep stuff, but that beyond the reach of those
more or less.

I think time has almost run out as well. the battery may well be toast
already. No wind is forecast for DAYS.

If I can't cobble something together from what I have today, I might as
well wait for nature to take its course.

Was your model radio-controlled?
Perhaps a second radio-controlled plane
could knock the first one off its perch.
And if that gets stuck, a third one may do the job ...

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

If I can't cobble something together from what I have today, I might as
well wait for nature to take its course.

What are you doing flying models anyway.. they contribute to global warming.
;-)

What? it uses less than a lightbulb switched on for an hour
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It's either a very wobbly pole and poke, or a string and a weight. I
would get some chimney sweep stuff, but that beyond the reach of those
more or less.

I think time has almost run out as well. the battery may well be toast
already. No wind is forecast for DAYS.

If I can't cobble something together from what I have today, I might as
well wait for nature to take its course.

Was your model radio-controlled?
Perhaps a second radio-controlled plane
could knock the first one off its perch.
And if that gets stuck, a third one may do the job ...

yeah, but not without damage...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a branch
and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a prototype for a
new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air
rifle..

Catapult to fire projectiles and dislodge it.
OR
Catapult to fire projectile with thin thread after it attached to string
attached to cord etc etc

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own accord,
let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with planes
stuck in them

The battery will be toast in 23 hours.

Any good ideas as to what will reach that high? Just need to hook a
branch and tip it out really..don't care about the damage..its a
prototype for a new kit and the beta model is already ordered.

Last time it took 6 weeks to shoot the airframe to bits with an air

rifle..

Train next doors cat to climb up and sit there for half hour,then tell the
neighbour their cat is stuck up the tree...which will prompt them to call
the firebrigade and whilst they're saving the cat ask them to bring your
plane down.

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment
trying to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature
poplar tree.

I have some extending ladders that would get you more than halfway:-)

Alternatively, employ a small boy.

Too dangerous.

Well, employ two or three then.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

[...]

The fire brigade don't rescue cats from trees. They have not done this
for more than thirty years.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-29 18:46:58 +0100, Dave said:

The fire brigade don't rescue cats from trees. They have not done this
for more than thirty years.

So who does?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2007-03-29 18:46:58 +0100, Dave said:

The fire brigade don't rescue cats from trees. They have not done
this for more than thirty years.

So who does?

When did you last see a cat's skeleton up a tree?
--
Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another angling suggestion, any half decent fly fisherman would welcome the
challenge. If you can only find coarse or sea fishermen, use a spinning rod
with a weight and suitable grapple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

If I can't cobble something together from what I have today, I might as
well wait for nature to take its course.

What are you doing flying models anyway.. they contribute to global
warming. ;-)

What? it uses less than a lightbulb switched on for an hour

It all counts.
Its no good saving energy in one place and wasting it somewhere else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment trying
to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature poplar tree.

Its about twice as high up as the house..I've tried archery, but can't
get the carry with a line attached.

No chance to climb it. Its poplar.Branches fall off of their own
accord, let alone climbing. The only ones that don't are the ones with
planes stuck in them

Get an RC helicopter with a grab

and try not to **** it up

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment
trying to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature
poplar tree.

I have some extending ladders that would get you more than halfway:-)

Alternatively, employ a small boy.

He's in Norfolk - don't give him ideas ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Timothy Murphy
writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It's either a very wobbly pole and poke, or a string and a weight. I
would get some chimney sweep stuff, but that beyond the reach of those
more or less.

I think time has almost run out as well. the battery may well be toast
already. No wind is forecast for DAYS.

If I can't cobble something together from what I have today, I might as
well wait for nature to take its course.

Was your model radio-controlled?
Perhaps a second radio-controlled plane
could knock the first one off its perch.
And if that gets stuck, a third one may do the job ...

And ...

eventually the tree will keel over due to the weight of scrapped balsa
perched in it's upper branches - job done

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:54:10 +0100, tony sayer
mused:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yr6gxz

Scary!, Could have done with one of those recently.. Not the one that
does 72 metres tho!....

I've just been round a few jobs on a 13m van mount today, good fun!
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Franko wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bugger. I maidened a new toy plane and in the heat of the moment
trying to get it trimmed it landed neatly at the top of a mature
poplar tree.

Chainsaw ?

Not my trees.

Do it at night

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 14:05:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
mused:

I think time has almost run out as well. the battery may well be toast
already.

Why is the battery nearly toast?
--
Regards,