Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do I remove scratches in Stainless Steel?

Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Thanks loads,
Shay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Shay wrote:

Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Metal polish, try Halfords. You may need a gradation of grades, starting
with a heavy cut to remove the scratches then progressively finer until
the shine is even.

Peter

www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-17 10:27:59 +0100, Shay said:

Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Thanks loads,
Shay

You don't.

You complain to the tilers and they can replace the sink and claim on
their insurance if they have it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-17 10:27:59 +0100, Shay said:

Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Thanks loads,
Shay

You don't.

You complain to the tilers and they can replace the sink and claim on
their insurance if they have it.

Sounds like a mad, mad world where everything with a "little scuff" must
go to landfill just so that blame can be apportioned and retribution
dished out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-17 12:04:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-05-17 10:27:59 +0100, Shay said:

Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Thanks loads,
Shay

You don't.

You complain to the tilers and they can replace the sink and claim on
their insurance if they have it.

Sounds like a mad, mad world where everything with a "little scuff"
must go to landfill just so that blame can be apportioned and
retribution dished out.

The "little scuff" shouldn't have been put there in the first place.
It is perfectly easy for the tiler to have protected the surface using
tape or other suitable means of protection. This is carelessness on
the tiler's part pure and simple - there is no apportionment of blame,
that aspect is clear. The disposal of the sink is a matter for the
tiler as well.

Perhaps this will encourage the tiler to be more careful in the future.
It is that object lesson that will reduce the number of damaged sinks
(and it would appear basin pedestals) going to landfill sites.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-17 12:04:54 +0100, Stuart Noble

On 2007-05-17 10:27:59 +0100, Shay said:

Hi all,
[...]

IME these sort of incidents don't usually occur when the care is a two
way process. I've done jobs where I've had to clear the sink, wash up
the breakfast things and take the tea bags out of the plughole before I
could even think about starting work. That doesn't mean I trash the sink
but, where there's clutter, mistakes are more likely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, Shay wrote:
Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Are you sure you need to? The sink will soon get scuffed all over with
normal use.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-17 10:27:59 +0100, Shay said:

Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Thanks loads,
Shay

You don't.

You complain to the tilers and they can replace the sink and claim on
their insurance if they have it.

Which just serves to push up the price for everybody as their insurance
goes up or they charge more in future to cover the cost. And you have to
sign all sorts of waivers before they will start work etc, etc. As the
US shows, nobody wins when things get like that.

Peter
www.the-brights.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-17 10:27:59 +0100, Shay said:

Hi all,
I had Tilers in yesterday. One of the jobs they did for me was to Tile
my kitchen.
This morning I noticed that they have left scratches in my new Astra-
Cast Sink... just in the one area. Like a little scuff.

How can get rid of these?

Thanks loads,
Shay

You don't.

You complain to the tilers and they can replace the sink and claim on
their insurance if they have it.

Which just serves to push up the price for everybody as their insurance
goes up or they charge more in future to cover the cost. And you have to
sign all sorts of waivers before they will start work etc, etc. As the
US shows, nobody wins when things get like that.

Peter

Incorrect.

The tiler should learn the lesson once and take more care in the
future. It isn't as though this is not an entirely preventable
problem. There's no excuse for this kind of carelessness.

That is very different from the US compensation culture where
recompense is unreasonable in proportion to the problem. In this
case, the situation is simple.

Before tiler, the sink did not have the scratches.
After tiler it did and it is not possible to return it to its original
condition.
Solution is to replace sink with the costs going to the tiler. Nobody
is talking about compensation for mental trauma or anything like that,
only that there should be a sink in the same condition after the tiler
has finished as there was before.

Standards are never improved as long as there isn't responsibility and
accountability.