Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to buy a heavy-duty wheelbarrow ?

Does anybody know a supplier of heavy duty wheel barrows ?

I've had one for many years that took everything I could throw at it,
concrete, bricks, stone etc. but it's now finally given up and I can't
find a replacement. The builders merchants hereabouts sell barrows
that are just about capable of transporting soil/sand but nothing more
substantial. :-(

I've got 10 tons of Purbeck stone that needs shifting over the next
few weeks.

Cheers,

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y
R R is offline

"John Anderton" wrote in message
Does anybody know a supplier of heavy duty wheel barrows ?

I've had one for many years that took everything I could throw at it,
concrete, bricks, stone etc. but it's now finally given up and I can't
find a replacement. The builders merchants hereabouts sell barrows
that are just about capable of transporting soil/sand but nothing more
substantial. :-(

I've got 10 tons of Purbeck stone that needs shifting over the next
few weeks.

Jewsons
Buildbase
Burdens
NOT B&Q though

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R
writes

"John Anderton" wrote in message
.. .
Does anybody know a supplier of heavy duty wheel barrows ?

I've had one for many years that took everything I could throw at it,
concrete, bricks, stone etc. but it's now finally given up and I can't
find a replacement. The builders merchants hereabouts sell barrows
that are just about capable of transporting soil/sand but nothing more
substantial. :-(

I've got 10 tons of Purbeck stone that needs shifting over the next
few weeks.

Jewsons
Buildbase
Burdens
NOT B&Q though

I agree if we are talking about a cheapy 'garden' wheelbarrow The
wheelbarrow that I got from B&Q warehouse some years back, seems to be
just the same sort of black steel 'builders' barrow that they generally
sell in the BM's (in fact IIRC, it was exactly the same one sold in some
places).

I think this type of barrow is ok, but I think builders tend to give
their barrows a fairly hard short hard life and then chuck them. Mines
been fine, but the tray has rusted through at the fixing points, whilst
the frame, wheel etc. is all still fine. I'm considering maybe one with
a polypropylene tray when I replace it.

Anyway, I've not bought a barrow from them, but have used them for other
stuff before, but these people have a decent selection, including some
heavier duty ones.

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalog/Wheelbarrows.html
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 00:13, John Anderton
wrote:
Does anybody know a supplier of heavy duty wheel barrows ?

I've had one for many years that took everything I could throw at it,
concrete, bricks, stone etc. but it's now finally given up and I can't
find a replacement. The builders merchants hereabouts sell barrows
that are just about capable of transporting soil/sand but nothing more
substantial. :-(

I've got 10 tons of Purbeck stone that needs shifting over the next
few weeks.

Cheers,

John

I got mine for the local farmers supply shop. Id recommend one with a
pneumatic tyre rather than a solid tyre.
Actually Id recommend you get a small dumper from the local hire shop,
or if you have room any machine with a front loader. The small ammount
you pay on equipment will be saved in treatment for a bad back. if the
stones are large, its not easy to load them into a wheelbarrow so it
does not fall to one side as you push it.

Rick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message .com, Rick
writes
On 17 May, 00:13, John Anderton
wrote:
[...]

Yeah my brother who does landscaping work has a powered barrow. We used
it to do some work on my parents garden, shifting lots of soil/stone
etc.

It was so much easier than wheel barrowing it.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 00:13, John Anderton
wrote:

I've got 10 tons of Purbeck stone that needs shifting over the next
few weeks.

Then find a flatbed barrow, without sides. Much less lifting
(especially lifting whilst reaching, which is the risky sort) and
there's a reduced risk of trapping your fingers too.

My favourite barrow pre-dates 1948 (it still says LMS on the side)
They Just Don't Make Them Like They Used To.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 00:13, John Anderton
wrote:
Does anybody know a supplier of heavy duty wheel barrows ?

I've had one for many years that took everything I could throw at it,
concrete, bricks, stone etc. but it's now finally given up and I can't
find a replacement. The builders merchants hereabouts sell barrows
that are just about capable of transporting soil/sand but nothing more
substantial. :-(

I've got 10 tons of Purbeck stone that needs shifting over the next
few weeks.

Cheers,

John

How much is there left of the old one? If the "undercarriage" is ok,
perhaps you could get a local metal fabricator to build a new "body"
for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My local Ridgeons is doing them on special offer. All steel
construction, mine stood up to barrowing several tons of wet concrete
last summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 6:39 am, "R" wrote:
Jewsons
Buildbase
Burdens
NOT B&Q though

Not Jewson's (or Travis Perkins). I'll try Buildbase and Burdens

Cheers,

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Anderton wrote:
Does anybody know a supplier of heavy duty wheel barrows ?

I've had one for many years that took everything I could throw at it,
concrete, bricks, stone etc. but it's now finally given up and I can't
find a replacement. The builders merchants hereabouts sell barrows
that are just about capable of transporting soil/sand but nothing more
substantial. :-(

Try an independant hire shop.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:24:04 +0100, chris French
wrote:

Anyway, I've not bought a barrow from them, but have used them for other
stuff before, but these people have a decent selection, including some
heavier duty ones.

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalog/Wheelbarrows.html

Thanks, and to all the other suggestees, several of those barrows look
like they'd do the job. I feel a weekend of barrow hunting coming on
:-)

Cheers,

John