Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bolts rusted in to cast iron bench

I've got two park benches which I bought from Sheffield Council 20
years ago. These consist of cast iron ends coach bolted to wooden
planks. I had to replace the wood and the bolts and now it needs doing
again. This time most of the bolts wont budge and are rusted in solid.

Applying a heavy hammer has resulted in me breaking a section off one
of the castings.

I have managed to drill one of the bolts out at the back, but this was
where I could get a straight run at it. Most of the bolts go through
the seat and the frame work means there's only 20 cm to play with to
get a drill in. I think even an angle drill would have trouble getting
into that space unless they also make very short drill bits.

The bolts are 10 mm and project about 6 cm through the metal.

Any ideas how to get them out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article .com,
Burlington Bertie wrote:
I have managed to drill one of the bolts out at the back, but this was
where I could get a straight run at it. Most of the bolts go through
the seat and the frame work means there's only 20 cm to play with to
get a drill in. I think even an angle drill would have trouble getting
into that space unless they also make very short drill bits.

The bolts are 10 mm and project about 6 cm through the metal.

Any ideas how to get them out?

If the wood is scrap drill or cut through it round the bolts and remove
so you can get a grip on the shank with Mole grips etc. Apply lots of
heat from a blowlamp. The nuts should then undo.

--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May, 09:29, Burlington Bertie
wrote:
I've got two park benches which I bought from Sheffield Council 20
years ago. These consist of cast iron ends coach bolted to wooden
planks. I had to replace the wood and the bolts and now it needs doing
again. This time most of the bolts wont budge and are rusted in solid.

Applying a heavy hammer has resulted in me breaking a section off one
of the castings.

I have managed to drill one of the bolts out at the back, but this was
where I could get a straight run at it. Most of the bolts go through
the seat and the frame work means there's only 20 cm to play with to
get a drill in. I think even an angle drill would have trouble getting
into that space unless they also make very short drill bits.

The bolts are 10 mm and project about 6 cm through the metal.

Any ideas how to get them out?

Heating up with a blowtorch will often free rusted parts - they do it
at the garage all the time. Presumably not when freeing rusted-in
petrol tanks.
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 May 2007 01:29:37 -0700, Burlington Bertie
wrote:

I've got two park benches which I bought from Sheffield Council 20
years ago. These consist of cast iron ends coach bolted to wooden
planks. I had to replace the wood and the bolts and now it needs doing
again. This time most of the bolts wont budge and are rusted in solid.

Applying a heavy hammer has resulted in me breaking a section off one
of the castings.

I have managed to drill one of the bolts out at the back, but this was
where I could get a straight run at it. Most of the bolts go through
the seat and the frame work means there's only 20 cm to play with to
get a drill in. I think even an angle drill would have trouble getting
into that space unless they also make very short drill bits.

The bolts are 10 mm and project about 6 cm through the metal.

Any ideas how to get them out?

Get it good and hot, then douse with oil.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Burlington Bertie" wrote

I've got two park benches which I bought from Sheffield Council 20
years ago. These consist of cast iron ends coach bolted to wooden
planks. I had to replace the wood and the bolts and now it needs doing
again. This time most of the bolts wont budge and are rusted in solid.

Applying a heavy hammer has resulted in me breaking a section off one
of the castings.

I have managed to drill one of the bolts out at the back, but this was
where I could get a straight run at it. Most of the bolts go through
the seat and the frame work means there's only 20 cm to play with to
get a drill in. I think even an angle drill would have trouble getting
into that space unless they also make very short drill bits.

The bolts are 10 mm and project about 6 cm through the metal.

Any ideas how to get them out?

Is there room to grind the heads or nuts off?

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I've got two park benches which I bought from Sheffield Council 20
years ago. These consist of cast iron ends coach bolted to wooden
planks. I had to replace the wood and the bolts and now it needs doing
again. This time most of the bolts wont budge and are rusted in solid.

The usual suspects:

Angle-grinder the nuts / heads off. If these are coach bolts, then
destroying the nut should allow them to punch out quite easily. Maybe
you need to grinder/gorillate the heads off too out of the wood, then
worry about tidying up the stumps in the CI later, when you're got
access.

Nut splitter. If you can't take a gruinder to the head, use a much
smaller screw-in wedge (Halfords etc) to split the nut.

Heat. A dull-red heat on the bolts will shift a lot of rust. Let them
cool before trying to undo them though. Often you use a grinder for
phase #1 (heads and wood) then heat for phase #2 (bolt stubs out of
the iron).

Electrolysis. Electrolytic de-rusting takes a few days but it de-rusts
CI beautifully and it can also often free up rusted bolts. It's
certainly the best way to prepare for re-painting - much better than
abrasives.

I doubt if any sort of Plus-gas / old brake fluid will work too well
on cast iron. WD-40 certainly won't.

Destroy something with extreme prejudice. Concentrate on what you nedd
(the iron) and what you don't (bolts / wood). Then be extremely brutal
to what you can afford to lose (plasma cutter) so long as it doesn't
hurt the piece you need to save. Lump hammers aren't picky enough for
this.

Applying a heavy hammer has resulted in me breaking a section off one
of the castings.

Don't use a lump hammer around cast iron. If you do, make sure that
the iron is well-supported. It needs to be supported directly beneath,
so that tehre's no bending. A block of soft timber with a hole in it
is helpful, but even then it's risky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Applying a heavy hammer has resulted in me breaking a section off one
of the castings.

Cast iron is very strong but brittle - whacking it is never a good
idea.

The bolts are 10 mm and project about 6 cm through the metal.

Any ideas how to get them out?

If you haven't already done so cut the wood off close to the ends so
you can get at things a bit more easily.

Soak the nuts regularly in WD40 for several days. Contrary to
popular prejudice WD40 is one of the best penetrating fluids around.
If that doesn't allow you to remove the bolts then apply heat from a
blowlamp to the end in the wood. Either you will be able to remove
the nut when the metal gets hot or the wood will burn off allowing
you to cut the bolt with a hacksaw.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks folks. I've already chopped all the wood off and I started off
angle grinding the stumps of the bolts off, though decided no to do
them all given the problems I was having. The nuts haven't been a
problem as they either undo or snap off. It's the shaft which has
welded itself into the cast iron.

I think the long term approach is to leave them a few weeks immersed
in oil, then some heat and gentle hammering. Who knows some of them
may then turn with mole grips.

It's the ones that I cut off flush intending to hammer out with a
drift that are likely to be the toughest I guess.

I just looked up electrolytic derusting. That could ultimately be the
answer though may take a while.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Applying a heavy hammer has resulted in me breaking a section off one
of the castings.

Cast iron is very strong but brittle - whacking it is never a good
idea.

The bolts are 10 mm and project about 6 cm through the metal.

Any ideas how to get them out?

If you haven't already done so cut the wood off close to the ends so
you can get at things a bit more easily.

Soak the nuts regularly in WD40 for several days. Contrary to
popular prejudice WD40 is one of the best penetrating fluids around.

At last! Someone else who thinks so!!!!!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Burlington Bertie wrote:
Thanks folks. I've already chopped all the wood off and I started off
angle grinding the stumps of the bolts off, though decided no to do
them all given the problems I was having. The nuts haven't been a
problem as they either undo or snap off. It's the shaft which has
welded itself into the cast iron.

I think the long term approach is to leave them a few weeks immersed
in oil, then some heat and gentle hammering. Who knows some of them
may then turn with mole grips.

It's the ones that I cut off flush intending to hammer out with a
drift that are likely to be the toughest I guess.

I just looked up electrolytic derusting. That could ultimately be the
answer though may take a while.

if you use an oxy torch on low oxy you get a reducing flame, which tends
to turn the iron rust back into iron.

Blacksmiths often have such, also many car repair places..its often
worth a cry for help at these places.