Planning permission to have second gas+electric mains installed?

Old May 15th 07, 09:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Planning permission to have second gas+electric mains installed?

Can anyone advise if I need planning permission to have the gas &
electric supply companies install a second gas main and a second
electric main to the building where I live?

The house was split into two flats 15 years ago, without planning
permission. Ever since then, I have lived in one flat and got the
tenant in the other flat to pay for his/her power via coin meters.

Now, I want to get extra mains supplies (gas & electricity) for the
flat that currently has the coin meters. Do I have to apply for
planning prmission to do this?

Many thanks,

Duke

Old May 15th 07, 12:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:27:34 +0100 Duke wrote :
Can anyone advise if I need planning permission to have the gas &
electric supply companies install a second gas main and a second
electric main to the building where I live?

The house was split into two flats 15 years ago, without planning
permission. Ever since then, I have lived in one flat and got the
tenant in the other flat to pay for his/her power via coin meters.

Now, I want to get extra mains supplies (gas & electricity) for the
flat that currently has the coin meters. Do I have to apply for
planning prmission to do this?

Nothing to do with the planners. But assuming you have proof of the
conversion (separate Council Tax bills etc) it might be worth regularising
the planning situation ... unless one day you might want to do a reverse
conversion, not allowed by some planning departments like ours.

Old May 15th 07, 02:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:10:06 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

Now, I want to get extra mains supplies (gas & electricity) for the
flat that currently has the coin meters. Do I have to apply for
planning prmission to do this?

Nothing to do with the planners. But assuming you have proof of the
conversion (separate Council Tax bills etc) it might be worth regularising
the planning situation ... unless one day you might want to do a reverse
conversion, not allowed by some planning departments like ours.

Tony,
Yes - that is one of the reasons why I haven't applied for a CLU so
far; because someone may just want to turn the place back into a
single dwelling at some point. However, my hand may be forced when I
come to sell one of the flats. If a buyer insists on a CLU, then I
will have to decide whether to take that plunge, or withdraw from the
sale. I'm told that applying for the CLU would be merely a formality,
but I'm a bit wary that it could open some kind of can of worms or
other.

Duke

Old May 15th 07, 02:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 10:29:28 +0100, Owain
wrote:

planning prmission to do this?

No.

If the utility cos ask why, but they probably won't, just say you're
putting in a granny annex rather than a separate dwelling.

Owain

Thanks, Owain. Why do you recommend I don't divilge that it's a
separate dwelling?

Duke

Old May 15th 07, 08:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The can of worms is the water supply. It would need to be two metered
individual supplies at rip off cost.

Adam

Old May 15th 07, 09:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Because then they'll expect a separate postal address for the separate
premises, which the council would have given you when you got the
planning permission, which you didn't get :-)

Should we assume the OP is defrauding the council tax too? I'd quite
happily shop him - so the rest of us don't pay as much.

Old May 15th 07, 10:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 20:04:42 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Thanks, Owain. Why do you recommend I don't divilge that it's a
separate dwelling?

Because then they'll expect a separate postal address for the separate
premises, which the council would have given you when you got the
planning permission, which you didn't get :-)

The Council Tax Dept *did* though! (Back in 1993 when they first
assessed the place as two flats.)

Also if it's only for separately metering a granny annex they might just
split the existing supply, but if it's for a separate dwelling they
might insist on a new supply from the street mains - s.

I guess they will send someone around who will need to look over the
premises before they decide what can/should be done regards the new
mains supplies. It's only two one-bed flats (no bigger than the
original house, so hopefully they can split the existing mains input,
like you said.

Regards,

Duke

Old May 15th 07, 10:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 18:10:56 GMT, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

The can of worms is the water supply. It would need to be two metered
individual supplies at rip off cost.

I've heard about that. Yes, it does indeed seem like a rip-off, when
it's the water company that will profit from it. I hope legislation
will soon force the water company to pay for it themselves. It seems
only fair.

Duke

Old May 16th 07, 12:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 18:10:56 GMT ARWadsworth wrote :
The can of worms is the water supply. It would need to be two metered
individual supplies at rip off cost.

No, our family business sold off a house of converted flats all sharing
one water main with no problems. I did investigate replacing the water
mains and given the likely cost (5K or so) decided to stick with the
status quo - no one queried this.

Gas and Electric usage up since new windows installed [email protected] Home Repair 29 December 23rd 05 05:21 PM
Will I ever get planning permission??? [email protected] UK diy 5 December 8th 05 03:30 AM
Getting extra Gas & Electric mains supplies (and meters) installed PG UK diy 8 December 30th 04 09:12 PM
Planning Permission Rick Dipper UK diy 3 November 15th 04 09:50 AM
Planning Permission for a conservatory Dougie Nisbet UK diy 8 August 9th 04 01:56 PM