What rating shower heater on 6mm T&E cable/

Old May 11th 07, 06:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What rating shower heater on 6mm T&E cable/

A friend is letting us use their 17th century cottage in Cornwall for a few
days this coming holiday, in exchange for me fitting a replacement for her
very old electric shower heater, which is leaking and beyond economical
repair. This existing shower is fed via approx 3.5m of 6mm T&E cable, via a
ceiling mounted, pull cord, isolatiing switch, and the cable is buried in
the wall for probably 2.5m of its total length. Don't know until I get there
what size fuse/mcb is fitted in the CU. What is the maximum rating (kw)
shower I can connect to this size cable?
Thanks, David.
( Part pee.....yeah, I know!!)

Old May 11th 07, 06:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...ltageDrop.html

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 12th 07, 01:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

DavidM wrote:

[...] and the cable is buried in the wall for probably 2.5m of its
total length. Don't know until I get there what size fuse/mcb is
fitted in the CU. What is the maximum rating (kw) shower I can
connect to this size cable?

If clipped-direct conditions apply to the whole cable run (i.e. no
thermal insulation, no grouping with other cables, no conduit or
trunking) you can take the current rating to be 47 A, which means a
maximum of 10.8 kW at 230 V, supply and fusing permitting.

( Part pee.....yeah, I know!!)

It sounds as if you are doing a direct replacement, which is not
notifiable. It would of course be prudent to carry out insulation
resistance and Zs test on the circuit though, as well as testing any RCD
that may be fitted. Also check that the supplementary bonding is OK,
particularly if there's no RCD.

--
Andy

Fuse for Desk Lamp 10mm x 3.6mm 1.0 Amp 250 Volt Steve Lowe UK diy 14 February 12th 14 08:56 PM
Join in a 6mm cable? Lurch UK diy 9 May 1st 07 02:33 AM
6mm Cable Insulated Size TheScullster UK diy 2 February 19th 07 09:35 AM
cable rating in kitchen Ian Atkinson UK diy 4 October 3rd 06 05:04 PM
6mmsq electrical cable rating jim_in_sussex UK diy 2 August 27th 04 10:35 AM