Ceiling holes for recessed lighting cut too big!

Old May 11th 07, 03:50 PM
Junior Member

Default Ceiling holes for recessed lighting cut too big!

Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!
Old May 11th 07, 04:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

timfel wrote:
Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so
perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can
press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!

get the old bits of plasterboard and cut the centers out smaller, and
stick them back in a bit below the surface with bonding plaster..or just
about anything..then reskim, repaint and mount the lights up.

Or use a scrap piece of plasterboard to make new holes as above.

Old May 11th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"timfel" wrote in message

Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so
perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can
press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!

Swap your lights for bigger ones?

What size hole has been cut?

Adam

Old May 11th 07, 05:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

timfel wrote:
Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so
perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can
press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!

Sack the electrician :-)

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Old May 11th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
timfel wrote:
Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so
perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can
press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!

Sack the electrician :-)

well you should do that on a regular basis anyway.

Old May 11th 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
timfel writes:

Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so

You could ask him how he fixed it last time he did that ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old May 11th 07, 09:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"timfel" wrote in message

Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so
perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can
press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!

Cut a section of plasterboard a few inches around the screwup and replace?

Cut a section of plasterboard back as far as the nearest ceiling joists and
replace?

Tell the electrician to sort it out himself / find someone to sort it out?

--
Ron

Old May 12th 07, 08:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 15:50, timfel wrote:
Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so
perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can
press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!

--
timfel

You can get reducers from lighting shops that adapt larger holes for
oldstyle R63 spots to the smaller ones needed for halogens.

Alternatively, get some adjustable downlights - they tend to be a few
mm bigger than fixed ones.

Old May 12th 07, 04:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 May, 08:59, wrote:

Thus spake timfel ) unto the assembled multitudes:

Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!
The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.
Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

I don't see why it should be your problem to fix. It's the electrician's
incompetence that has caused this, so he should either fix it himself or
you should get someone else in to repair or replace the ceiling and
charge/sue the electrician for the cost of the work. You have the right to
do this, after all.

Or perhaps its a friend. Or perhaps hes paying the spark per hour on
the understanding that any issues are his problem.

What I did with some ragged holes was apply filler, get it level &
smooth. Filler is weaker than PB though, so its worth applying it
deeper than the PB.

NT

Old May 13th 07, 02:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 3:55 am, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
timfel wrote:
Our electrician has accidentally cut all the ceiling holes for some
halogen downlights about 6mm too big!

The lights now pass through the holes instead of just covering them.

Does anybody have a solution (other than repositioning the lights
somewhere else and filling the holes)?

It strikes me that this must have happened many times before, so
perhaps somebody has invented some sort of hole reducer that you can
press into the hole or something...

Any ideas gratefully received!

get the old bits of plasterboard and cut the centers out smaller, and
stick them back in a bit below the surface with bonding plaster..or just
about anything..then reskim, repaint and mount the lights up.

Or use a scrap piece of plasterboard to make new holes as above.

I gather that downlights are held up by clips that grab on to the
plasterboard. In which case to avoid the light falling down I'd make
the scrap pieces of plasterboard an inch bigger than the hole and put
them above the hole through a couple of slots on each side of the
hole. Then plaster the whole lot flat. But will the clips tolerate two
thicknesses of plasterboard?

One day the fashion for downlights will change and everyone will be
ripping them out. That is unless they cause a fire that buns the house
down before fashions change.

Holes for recessed ceiling lights too big! timfel Home Repair 0 May 11th 07 03:48 PM
recessed lighting cj Home Repair 2 March 14th 06 01:54 AM
Installing recessed lighting fixture in suspended ceiling Dr.John Home Repair 8 January 30th 06 03:36 AM
recessed lighting? no thank you effi Home Repair 44 January 30th 05 06:20 PM
Recessed lighting. rw Home Repair 1 November 26th 04 05:21 PM