Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - USA Car Parks

Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your wheels
up to - but we never see them in the UK.

Are they mandated in some way in the USA?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your wheels
up to - but we never see them in the UK.

I occasionally see them, e.g.

https://goo.gl/maps/wnUPWKjQS9ZbbbTm7
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 09:36, Andy Burns wrote:
JohnP wrote:

Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your wheels
up to - but we never see them in the UK.

I occasionally see them, e.g.

https://goo.gl/maps/wnUPWKjQS9ZbbbTm7

Probably okay with large spaces in US car parks, but UK spaces are often
small and longer cars either stick out at the end of the spaces or
overhang that Kerb - which if you go in nose first (for the boot to be
accessible for loading) can mean damage to a low hanging front valance.

I have a bog standard, Zafira B, the rubber edge of the valance was
ripped loose when reversing away from overhanging such a kerb. As this
was nose in parking on a high-street, being parked further back would
have left the rear end stuck out in the traffic!

Stupidly, Vauxhall attached the rubber to the rest of the bumper on
tabs, that rip off when caught, but the tabs that break off are part of
the bumper itself and not the rubber strip!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your wheels
up to - but we never see them in the UK.

I occasionally see them, e.g.

https://goo.gl/maps/wnUPWKjQS9ZbbbTm7

A but that is just to stop you denting the cladding .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 09:28, JohnP wrote:
Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your wheels
up to - but we never see them in the UK.

Are they mandated in some way in the USA?

you think that is bad...I remember seeing this in 1979 .....

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/427490189600981930/

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/5039.../?d=t&mt=login

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/235946467951359346/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your wheels
up to - but we never see them in the UK.

Are they mandated in some way in the USA?

You obviously have not seen what kind of humanity
drives in those car parks.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10...2290852238.jpg

The size of the bollards, provides a hint as to what
the company thinks of its clientele.

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/wp-...rds-page-4.jpg

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 15:01, Paul wrote:
JohnP wrote:
Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your
wheels up to - but we never see them in the UK.

Are they mandated in some way in the USA?

You obviously have not seen what kind of humanity
drives in those car parks.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10...2290852238.jpg

wumin'

The size of the bollards, provides a hint as to what
the company thinks of its clientele.

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/wp-...rds-page-4.jpg

Â*Â* Paul

that is because lazy *******s will park as near the entrance as possible....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your
wheels
up to - but we never see them in the UK.

I occasionally see them, e.g.

https://goo.gl/maps/wnUPWKjQS9ZbbbTm7

Probably okay with large spaces in US car parks, but UK spaces are often
small

Ours are just as small, small enough so
that the big SUVs are a real problem.

and longer cars either stick out at the end of the spaces or overhang that
Kerb

That doesnt happen in carparks.

- which if you go in nose first (for the boot to be accessible for

Doesnt happen when done right and most of ours have them.
The usual thing is something on the ground that is only 100mm
high so you can feel it when you drive up to it but wont ride over
it unless you do that deliberately. That never catches the valence
on my Getz which can hit the taller kerbs.

I have a bog standard, Zafira B, the rubber edge of the valance was ripped
loose when reversing away from overhanging such a kerb. As this was nose
in parking on a high-street, being parked further back would have left the
rear end stuck out in the traffic!

Stupidly, Vauxhall attached the rubber to the rest of the bumper on tabs,
that rip off when caught, but the tabs that break off are part of the
bumper itself and not the rubber strip!

Mine isnt rubber, its hard plastic and isnt hard to snap back on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your
wheels
up to - but we never see them in the UK.

I occasionally see them, e.g.

https://goo.gl/maps/wnUPWKjQS9ZbbbTm7

A but that is just to stop you denting the cladding .....

Its actually to allow a walkway along that wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/02/2021 15:41, Jimmy Stewart ... wrote:
On 24/02/2021 15:01, Paul wrote:
JohnP wrote:
Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your
wheels up to - but we never see them in the UK.

Are they mandated in some way in the USA?

You obviously have not seen what kind of humanity
drives in those car parks.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/10...2290852238.jpg

Â*wumin'

The size of the bollards, provides a hint as to what
the company thinks of its clientele.

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/wp-...rds-page-4.jpg

Â*Â*Â* Paul

that is because lazy *******s will park as near the entrance as
possible....

Also makes ram-raiding more difficult, which could be their
main purpose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your
wheels up to - but we never see them in the UK.

Are they mandated in some way in the USA?

Parking nose in used to be very common on wide US roads. And most seemed
to do it with the front wheels touching the kerb. Old habits die hard. But
many non US cars simply ain't designed for this.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your
wheels up to - but we never see them in the UK.

Are they mandated in some way in the USA?

Parking nose in used to be very common on wide US roads. And most seemed
to do it with the front wheels touching the kerb. Old habits die hard. But
many non US cars simply ain't designed for this.

Parking nose in is mandatory in the US because cars don't (usually) have
front number plates

And working back from the fact that you know everyone is going to park nose
in means that you can put in these "bumps" in the right place for an
"average" car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
Odd how they always seem to have curbs or rails that you nose your
wheels up to - but we never see them in the UK.

Are they mandated in some way in the USA?

Parking nose in used to be very common on wide US roads. And most seemed
to do it with the front wheels touching the kerb. Old habits die hard. But
many non US cars simply ain't designed for this.

Parking nose in is mandatory in the US because cars don't (usually) have
front number plates

Not quite sure why that makes a difference? And not all US streets are
wide enough to allow this anyway?

And working back from the fact that you know everyone is going to park
nose in means that you can put in these "bumps" in the right place for
an "average" car.

It's just the same in UK car parks. Where you can have a 'pavement' in the
middle between two rows of cars - my local Tesco is like that. So if
parking nose in - like you'd do to get access to the boot - you just have
to take care.

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul" wrote in message
The size of the bollards, provides a hint as to what
the company thinks of its clientele.

https://www.reliance-foundry.com/wp-...rds-page-4.jpg

One of the problems with a lot of bollards at the end of a parking space is
that they aren't tall enough. If you reverse in, or if you drive in forwards
and your car has a long bonnet, there comes a point when the bollard
disappears below the bottom of the relevant windscreen as you get fairly
close. Then you have to guess how close you are. If only the bollard was
made about 4 feet tall you would always be able to see it, and so judge when
you were getting too close. It's OK if you have a reversing camera, but not
all cars have one - and it doesn't help if you drive in forwards. And
parking sensors usually only "see" objects at the corners of the bumpers:
something that is dead central goes undetected.

Of course even a tall object *can* go unnoticed :-( Both my wife and I have
reversed at very low speed into (in my case) a road sign, and (in my wife's
case) a telegraph pole that the parking sensor didn't pick up. And in both
cases the pole was right in front of the sensor (*), so it *should* have
been picked up, and it was in the gap between the rear window and the field
of view of the door mirror, hidden by the C pillar., at the moment of
impact.

(*) The telegraph pole actually knocked the sensor back in the bumper,
proving that it was central to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 25, 2021 at 11:31:36 AM UTC, NY wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

My problem was the post type bollard was central to the rear of the car and the reverse sensor didn't pick it up. Expensive bloody repair

'It's a free-for-all': shutdown brings turmoil to beloved USnational parks Ed Pawlowski[_3_] Home Repair 6 January 3rd 19 10:20 PM
Waterlox vs. Parks Tung Oil Pacific Pintos Woodworking 3 November 25th 12 07:26 AM
Parks planer burfl Woodworking 2 March 22nd 06 01:23 PM
ATTN: Parks 12" Planer Owners Doug Rewerts Woodworking 7 February 20th 05 11:11 PM
Parks' Wagon Shop Special Andy Dingley Woodworking 8 October 23rd 04 10:36 AM