Gas cooker connection

Old May 4th 07, 10:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo

Default Gas cooker connection

Been looking online for an answer to this - found conflicting information.

If my cooker has a bayonet connection, can I disconnect it for a day (while
I do my new floor) and put it back on myself?

Is this safe or not?

Old May 4th 07, 10:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo

"Mo" wrote in message
Been looking online for an answer to this - found conflicting information.

If my cooker has a bayonet connection, can I disconnect it for a day
(while
I do my new floor) and put it back on myself?

Is this safe or not?

Well I ahve found na odl thread that suggests its ok, so ill risk it!

Old May 4th 07, 11:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mo
writes

"Mo" wrote in message
Been looking online for an answer to this - found conflicting information.

If my cooker has a bayonet connection, can I disconnect it for a day
(while
I do my new floor) and put it back on myself?

Is this safe or not?

Well I ahve found na odl thread that suggests its ok, so ill risk it!

Have you gassed yourself ? ... it looks like it

A bayonet connection should be self sealing

--
geoff
Old May 4th 07, 11:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 May 2007 22:50:06 +0100, Mo wrote:

Been looking online for an answer to this - found conflicting information.

If my cooker has a bayonet connection, can I disconnect it for a day (while
I do my new floor) and put it back on myself?

Is this safe or not?

Yes: that's (sort of) what they're intended for. (Actually I suppose
it's more for cleaning behind the cooker.) When you put the cooker back
make sure the stability device still works. This may be a sort of L-shaped
metal bracket fixed to the wall or floor that loosely engages in the back
of the cooker so that when the cooker is pushed back into its working
position it prevents it being tipped forward. Alternativey it may be a
chain fixed to the cooker and the wall. If neither is present there should
be one, and it must of course be fitted by a 'competent person'

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...Regs#Statutory Instruments

--
John Stumbles
Old May 5th 07, 12:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo

ARGH!

OK, I had a look - the one we have is pretty old and gettign green mould on
it - after putting soem effort in I got it out - I put it back in. Spark up
the cooker and it all seemed fine.

Its back on now - however there is nothing holding it to the wall - there IS
achain on there tho but not connected to anything - tho I don't see how
anyone could install it given the chain is so short.

I might try and get someone in tomorrow after I get my floor done to check
it.

Can I do a test for gas leaks? I heard somethign about some yellow tape...?
What could happen if the cooker leans forward?

There is a hole of sorts on the floor - it sticks out (I'll have a closer
look in a min) - maybe that is the device to stop the lean?

Cheers

Old May 5th 07, 01:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo

"Mo" wrote in message
ARGH!

The hole in the ground seems to be an old pipe or something...?

The cooker itself is massive and there is no chance of it leaning forward
unless something put massive force on it.

While I am here.. - Could I do any damage whilst moving the cooker
tomorrow to take it out of the kitchen - may have to lift it as it will not
drag well - is it best not to tilt it too much etc?

Old May 5th 07, 02:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo

"raden" wrote in message

Have you gassed yourself ? ... it looks like it

A bayonet connection should be self sealing

--
geoff

this looks interesting

http://www.komar.org/bbq/mm/convert/leak-test/

reliable? worth doing i guess just to be safe..

Old May 5th 07, 03:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mo wrote:

OK, I had a look - the one we have is pretty old and gettign green mould
on it - after putting soem effort in I got it out - I put it back in.
Spark up the cooker and it all seemed fine.

If you want a confidence check that the thing resealed correctly, you
could spray some soapy water over it (bit of washing up liquid and
water). You would see bubbles if there is any leak. Wash with plain
water after however as the washing up liquid will be slightly corrosive.

Its back on now - however there is nothing holding it to the wall -
there IS achain on there tho but not connected to anything - tho I don't
see how anyone could install it given the chain is so short.

The chain should either hook onto a hook screwed into the wall, or
alternatively some cookers accept an L bracket fixed to the back wall at
the base of the cooker. This stops it tilting when slid back into place.

Can I do a test for gas leaks?

See above... (the better way is with a can of leak detector spray -
available at a plumbers merchant, the best way is with a manometer
connected to the test point on the gas meter). See the gas fitting FAQ
for more info on that.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

I heard somethign about some yellow tape...?

This is referring to a (typically white) PTFE tape usually supplied on
(typically) yellow reels. It is a little thicker than the stuff used on
screwed connections with water pipes. It is only used on gas where you
have a screwed connection that has to seal on the threads (so not
compression fittings which use an olive). You don't need it to connect
or disconnect a cooker hose.

What could happen if the cooker leans forward?

The biggest risk from tilting is when someone falls onto an open oven
door and promptly tips the content of the hob on top of them as well.

There is a hole of sorts on the floor - it sticks out (I'll have a
closer look in a min) - maybe that is the device to stop the lean?

Doubt it.

--
Cheers,

John.